The Canadian invasion of Ilwaco, WA Sept. 14th, 2013

Get any pics of how you rigged the live bait?

I'm going to be salmon fishing with live bait soon. I need to make up a rig I'm thinking small treble hook placed in the nose or maybe the back of the bait. The leader goes to a bead chain with a 4-6oz weight attached to the bead chain to get the bait down. A circle hook might be better but it would need to be tiny or a little bait won't swim naturally.

It's rare to scoop live bait in the salt but it happens and the next time it does I want to be ready. I should research how they used to do it.

Here's a couple of iphone pictures of Mr Sculpin in all his glory on our trip

Attachments

• happy fisher.jpg
    happy fisher.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 738
  • john with tuna on.jpg
    john with tuna on.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 736
  • pacific dream cockpit.jpg
    pacific dream cockpit.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 732
Good lord!!! sounds great...When will your marina start selling live bait?
I remember years ago Cigarette Cove had a nett pen full of chovies in Barkley...its possible!

No weight Chris. A tiny #4 hook and freespool. The bait will swim down and out. You wait for the tuna to start swimming with the bait, count to 10 ( more like 4 with me), engage the leverdrag and hang on!!

GDW--We used to put one through the nose and 1 just in front of the dorsal fin with live herring when we were kids in Pender Harbour. I did it with live squid once out by Cape Beale--worked like a hot damn!!
T2

Nice report John! If it wasn't for the fact that I had to be in Neah this weekend to pull my boat home (and fish), I might have joined you guys. Unfortunately, neither Neah Bay nor La Push has live bait available so I can't give that a try (yet). I hope to build a 2 scoop tank for my boat this winter so that when I'm near fresh bait, I can get some.

Great report John, looks like you had a blast down south on the live bait tuna fishing. I hope to try out tuna fishing next year and would totally be in to going on a trip like this, looks like a good time!

Another excellent post from Sculpin! Thanks for the detail account. That's the best adventure I've had without leaving the couch.

Wow....if this forum had Post Of The Year awards, this would be a nominee. Thanks for taking the time to document your trip, next best thing to being there.

I've wanted to tuna fish for years and this year had the fortune to go twice, once out of Westport on a 6 pack charter and once out of Renfrew on a friend's boat. Both super fun, but there's no question that fishing with live bait is WAY more fun than trolling. Letting the little swimmer go, then feeling the hit, no comparison!

I was surprised by how tiny the hooks were, like something you'd use to catch bullheads off the dock....must be very strong steel. And very small anchovies too (hence the small hooks).

Next year...considering the 2 night 2 day trip out of westport on a 10-pack charter ... fish until your arms are too tired is what I hear. But maybe I'll try this Ilwaco charter, looks good! Would be super fun to get a boat load of Canadjuns eh.

Had a buddy do the Westport 2 day trip. All in door to door he said it was $800 each. 4 guys one truck and 4 big coolers filled to the top. Fished 7am to 3pm non stop action. Boat limited out at 200 fish, thats 25 fish per hour. Thats 20 fish pre guy, that a lot of tuna and fun for that price. Caught the first ferry from Victoria drove to Westport hopped on the boat ran out at night, up for breakfast, fish, run in, sleep, get up and drive home. We're thinking of getting a couple more guys and doing the whole boat. 10 guys to a boat.

Had a buddy do the Westport 2 day trip. All in door to door he said it was $800 each. 4 guys one truck and 4 big coolers filled to the top. Fished 7am to 3pm non stop action. Boat limited out at 200 fish, thats 25 fish per hour. Thats 20 fish pre guy, that a lot of tuna and fun for that price. Caught the first ferry from Victoria drove to Westport hopped on the boat ran out at night, up for breakfast, fish, run in, sleep, get up and drive home. We're thinking of getting a couple more guys and doing the whole boat. 10 guys to a boat.
Im in, been looking at his one as well.

Tuna trip

Hey Casper. Who did you go out with? Can you supply contact info? Do you know how long the season goes to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't me it was a buddy that went out. I will try and find out. All I know is it was out of Westport and the boat held 10 guys and limited out at 200 fish for the boat.
I think this is who they went with http://westportcharters.com/Westport_Washington_ocean_albacore_tuna_fishing_charter.php

I've heard that Captain Kevin on the Gold Rush is the one you want to go out with.

All Rivers with Captain Mark Coleman is another option as well with a smaller crew. He runs a 29' Defiance Guadalupe so it's a one day thing as your blazing out and in compared to the big Delta.

Something I forgot to inform upon was the speed of the Pacific Dream. She's an 11-13 knot boat at cruise. That's why it takes so long to get out and back in. This is why you leave the dock at 3:00 a.m. lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard that Captain Kevin on the Gold Rush is the one you want to go out with.

All Rivers with Captain Mark Coleman is another option as well with a smaller crew. He runs a 29' Defiance Guadalupe so it's a one day thing as your blazing out and in compared to the big Delta.

Something I forgot to inform upon was the speed of the Pacific Dream. She's an 11-13 knot boat at cruise. That's why it takes so long to get out and back in. This is why you leave the dock at 3:00 a.m. lol.

I've obsessively researched the westport options, having wanted to go on one for at least 5 years! When I finally pulled the trigger this year, it was with All Rivers (Mark Coleman's boats). The reason I chose them is it is a 1 day charter, and time was a concern. It is nicer to fish with just 6 guys not 10, and there's no diesel fumes to make you seasick. It is also a little cheaper.

BUT, the negatives: weather had changed, causing upwelling, so had to go twice as far to get to the blue water, and took longer to find the fish than what they normally get....so the boat probably caught half what is typical or their limit. I asked where the rest of the fleet was and they said "way out there". The 12 hour day with 2.5 hours travelling each way limited the fishing possible....not a concern when it is full on tuna mayhem, but a limiting factor on a spotty day. The big boats just travelled a little further while everyone slept, no worries. And Rampage publishes their fish counts....on the same day they got 202, or 20 per angler! We got 4 per person. (I know it's not just about the catch...but that's both a lot of meat and a lot of fun!)

If I got out again next year, I'm undecided the route I'll go, but I think I lean towards the big boat. Rampage and Gold Rush are both highly rated, though Gold Rush seems to get the edge a little on reviews.

Back