The Canadian invasion of Ilwaco, WA Sept. 14th, 2013

The whole point of our trip was to catch some albacore tuna on live bait. Mission was accomplished big time!!!

Coming into the port, and then realizing the boat wanted to bait up again for the next day was kinda cool to see.

The port has their own bait guy.

He has a Seine boat that he uses to catch the bait, then brings them back and puts them into pens at the dock. The gull's love it as well lol.

He splashes the water with the net at first then raises the net with a center rope. He can then reach them enough to scoop them up.

He then transfers them to the boats 12 scoop tank. A twelve scoop tank is huge. Most sport boats are 1-2 scoop at the most sharing between 4 guys etc. This big tank is over a scoop per person on board. Big advantage if they are in good shape. Near the end of the day for us, it was one in three that were worthy of a swim.

All in all the trip was totally worth it. The start of the trip was rough due to the red eye run, but once we were into blue water we woke up and things only got better from there.

We will never do the red eye run again. It is totally not worth it. We suggest going down the day before and staying in a hotel.

The charter company has deals on with a hotel down there. We stayed last night at the Heidi's Motel for 69 bucks for two double beds. Not bad. It was older but clean and we only needed to rest our heads. It would be so worth booking two nights and going down earlier. My vision was blurry from sleep deprivation in the morning when it got light out. 6 Bud lite tall boys helped a little to straighten that out during the day but it wasn't the same as a good nights sleep lol.

We went up the road to Long Beach and ate dinner at the Lost Roo restaurant. It was really good food and drinks. Highly recommend it.

Thanks again BV. It was a total blast and we now have experienced the live bait Albacore fishery out of Washington thanks to you. I will be doing it again for sure. It woke my eyes up to a lot of possibilities up here as well. I will be trying some different stuff out for sure. It was great getting to know you and awesome meeting your friends. Thank you for all the donation products for the Bamfield Shootout as well. I will be seeing you again on Friday to run you and Ken out to Bamfield. Take care my friend.

Here's to the next adventure.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for sharing your experience. Something I have never done, maybe one day. Thanks again, looked like a blast...

Wow! Excellent posts Sculpin. This is a trip I have wanted to do for a long time. Looks like too much fun to let pass by. Thanks for all the pics and info. If you don't mind me asking what was the cost of the charter, all in?

Great post. I know that you have a boat you fish tuna from but most people don't and this looks like a great alternative. What did they charge per guy?

Looks like fun John; and good on ya for staying up and posting this rather than keeping us all hangin'!:cool: Looks like something that needs to be tried by many of us and cost isn't much more than a couple day trip off our coast for many of us with our own boats; and none of the clean-up! LOL

Great report John...you should have seen Fishtoffino in the day pulling on Springs in the Rebar run at the Stamp falls.... :)

Wow John, you took lots of great pictures along with great commentary and descriptions.

All I gotta say is Shawn and John both kicked butt on the bait. Very impressive and the resulting smiles from your success were priceless.

great report John, seems like the red eye is starting to be the norm for you buddy, will have to try that for sure.

No weight Chris. A tiny #4 hook and freespool. The bait will swim down and out. You wait for the tuna to start swimming with the bait, count to 10 ( more like 4 with me), engage the leverdrag and hang on!!
John,
whats the set up?Do you use a little weight and a 3/0 hook for bait?Long leader or?
And how deep did you hit fish?

I want to do this!

Do they split the catch up equally amonst the guests? Or you keep what you catch? Not sure if this was covered. Also how is the transporting of fish across the border?

Do they split the catch up equally amonst the guests? Or you keep what you catch? Not sure if this was covered. Also how is the transporting of fish across the border?

That's how we did it. Not sure if that is the norm but I am assuming so. Ted and Pat graciously took one less fish each so the rest of us could go home with 7 each. The group the day before went home with 15 each as the boat tubbed out at 150!!!

The cost was $380.00 which INCLUDED tax and the $10.50 license. So basically if 10 Canucks wanted to go down and book the boat it would be around $3800.00 for the charter. They do not provide food but do provide coffee. We all put $30.00 bucks each into a pot and gave it to the deckhands. I believe this is how they get paid.

We took our fish home whole in coolers that we brought with us. Zero problem at the border. Shawn and I are having them all canned at St. Jeans where I dropped them off this morning. They will loin and bag them for you right there for 5 bucks a fish or you can trade your tuna for already canned tuna.

Great report John, as always.

Curious as to where you were placing the hook on the live bait? I've read that hook placement can determine the direction (up, down, straight) that your bait will swim.

Awesome stuff!

Awesome. Thanks for the report. I can live vicariously until I can take a charter. Def have to do tuna charter! My buddy is on one right now outta ukee I think cant wait to hear. Live bait tho.. Think it works better? I saw #4 but what kind of hook do you use?

We have one of those selfrighting coastguard boats up in Sidney. Or mabey thats where they fixem... Saw one up close in the shop up there, very cool.

That's how we did it. Not sure if that is the norm but I am assuming so. Ted and Pat graciously took one less fish each so the rest of us could go home with 7 each. The group the day before went home with 15 each as the boat tubbed out at 150!!!

The cost was $380.00 which INCLUDED tax and the $10.50 license. So basically if 10 Canucks wanted to go down and book the boat it would be around $3800.00 for the charter. They do not provide food but do provide coffee. We all put $30.00 bucks each into a pot and gave it to the deckhands. I believe this is how they get paid.

We took our fish home whole in coolers that we brought with us. Zero problem at the border. Shawn and I are having them all canned at St. Jeans where I dropped them off this morning. They will loin and bag them for you right there for 5 bucks a fish or you can trade your tuna for already canned tuna.

Let me know if you are doing this again...I'm in... :)

Back