The BAJA project

Sorry about not updating this thread it was a bit of a grind putting this boat together and a super tight timeline. As of this point the boat is now safe and sound in the mexico. During testing in Vancouver we were able to hit 41 mph with the twin 40 4 stroke mercury outboards, I think this will be fast enough to for our purposes.... I am going to be building some more accessories for the boat in the coming weeks, tuna tubes are the #1 priority. we Ended up having to get a custom fuel tank built for the boat as it was hard to find a large plastic tank with two fuel ports, this fabbed tank is 30 IMP GAL so it should provide a good amount of mileage on the water. I had my buddy do some Awlgrip nonskid with grip-tex for the floor as the bare aluminum was going to be way too slippery. We also added some large Beckson hatches fore and aft for access and storage. As for electronics we just had enough room to shoe horn a HDS7 onto the console with a basic standard horizon vhf. All the switched and fuse panels were blue seas systems. Anyways pics are worth a 1000 words so here are some.

DSC_0284.jpg

DSC_1463.jpg

DSC_1465.jpg

DSC_1466.jpg

mms_img-76954713.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow man! She turned out awesome. Your going to have sooooo much fun in that thing :).

Thanks for posting up the pics Mike. Make sure you post up some fishing pics from Mexico :cool:.

Thanks for the kind words! I hope to do a bunch of fishing from this rig over the Christmas break. Just wrapping 4 calstar graphiter 755h rods up for my avet 30wides. It would be really cool to see a 3-400lb blue marlin along side this boat. It is only about a 18 mile run offshore to get to the good banks and there is excellent dorado and wahoo fishing inside of 3 miles. Soooo stoked.

Well I'm insanely jealous...... And definitely not the only one.

Do you have some sort of a t top in mind? Judging by the antenna your not doing anything yet. Was thinking a top to hide from the sun, store rods and maybe have a outrigger set up.

What a fun rig!

Possible folding T top for next winter, just going to have to tough it out in the sun this year. I took our 18' taco outriggers down to mex and I am just waiting on a set of gunnel mounts for them. as for rod holders at this current time I have 3 in the leaning post and another 8 around the gunnels so 11 total....but there is always room for more.

Back