The BAJA project

mikep

So as of last winter I have access to a place on the BAJA pacific coast just north of cabo. My dad brother and I got the itch to do a little saltwater fishing down there. We decided it was time to build a beach boat. After a little research I found a Snow Boat Building in Seattle that builds all types of aluminum boats. The hull is 20' LOA with 7'6" beam and weights just over 900#. material is 5052 @ 5/32" thick. Power plans for now are twin 40 HP mercury four strokes. I have attached some pics of the boat build in progress. we have a leaning post and center console that still needs to be installed. As many know i'm not a huge alloy boat fan but for this application where a robust beach boat is needed aluminum was really the only option. I will update as it nears the end end of fabrication and though the rigging process.

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0129.JPG

IMG_0130.JPG

IMG_0131.JPG

x2 .... jump in or pirate my way on board haha

Nice build-I'm on the sea of Cortez side and the one all encompassing question everyone needs to ask-how are you launching it? Too big for beach wheels, trailer with a beater beach truck? or do you have access to very scarce ramps?

We are building a low 3 wheeled beach launch trailer that two guys can push. For retervial we will use a 200' length of spectra rope to keep the truck off the beach.

Super cool Mike...cant wait to see it come together and to see what it puts in the boat

Agreed. Very cool. Keep the pics coming.

I'm finally going to get my feet wet this winter with the aluminum boat building thing. Love the build shots. That looks like an interesting way they are putting her together. Different stringer/frame system than you see on most. Looks really clean and easy to put the floor in. Great project that will last a lifetime.

We are building a low 3 wheeled beach launch trailer that two guys can push. For retervial we will use a 200' length of spectra rope to keep the truck off the beach.

That should do it!! I use a custom hitch for the truck and a set of Baja wheels which are Atv size-can push in and then use 200 feet of rope for recovery so the truck stays high up the beach on the hard sand. Since making launching and recovery easier I fish way more!! Good luck

Looks like a beauty in the making! Very jealous as I love the baja, but still a few years until I can go down regularly or for any length of time. Curious Mike P and Spring Fever, how well did your places weather hurricane Odile? Hopefully well, and particularly hopeful your resident mexican neighbours are recovering well. Cheers.

Ukee

Looks like a beauty in the making! Very jealous as I love the baja, but still a few years until I can go down regularly or for any length of time. Curious Mike P and Spring Fever, how well did your places weather hurricane Odile? Hopefully well, and particularly hopeful your resident mexican neighbours are recovering well. Cheers.

Ukee

Mine is still standing-no penetration as far as can be seen and the shaw satellite receiver is still up. I have pretty good hurricane shutters-may be some water damage. No electricity but water , gas and food are all available. Cabo airport opens for commercial flights on the 8th of October. The Mexican govt has done a fantastic job getting things mobilized and the many Gringo organizations are really stepping up to the plate to help the common people get going again. The Bisbee tournament folks have stepped up with no interest loans and donations to get the Panga fleet and bait boats going quickly. I doubt our country could bounce back as quickly as these folks if a similar storm hit here.

Good to hear that there is a bunch being done for the cabo area, they got hit soo hard. My parents place weathered the storm pretty well, it is a newer building and only a little water managed to sneak through the window trim. the local area was hit pretty hard but they alrady have power back and the roads are getting fixed up. I am down in december so we will see lots of progress by then.

In other news here is a little update on this boat project. they have the hull completely welded up and are just adding the little extras now. I am picking the boat up tuesday and then it will be a full out rigging party till the 21st when it leaves for mexico....

IMG_0148.JPG
IMG_0150.jpg
IMG_0151.jpg

SWEET !!! How many SFBC members will it hold? ;)

Wow i think i just found my dream boat very nice ! look at that walking room

Looking pretty baddass like a pirate boat! Stay away from the freighters or they might water cannon you guys lol. She's a beauty

Hey Mike,
Do you have any finished pics or on the water pics? On a trailer even.....:).

Cheers,
John

Back