Telegraph Cove

M

Mudder Man

Hey Fisher people

Just wondering on how the Cellular reception is out and around the Telegraph Cove/Malcolm Island area on the water. Just wondering if we will need to get a VHF installed on Buddies Boat or not. Oh ya and hows the fishing been up that way. We will be up to Alder Bay Resort on the 15th thru the 20th to try our luck.

Thanks in Advance

Mudder from Alberta

Can't comment on the fishin, but there are cell towers on Malcolm I think, and cell coverage is fine.

My Telus phone worked fine on the Telegraph side. It was a little off and on when I was near Lizard Point, maybe you just gotta get out in the open more.

It is good off of the southern tip of malcom in the gap and believe it or not in front of double bay and infront of flower island cant get anything from craycroft or white beach I have tried almost every where as I guide up there or like seawolf said telegraph side is fine but spotty on the other side for the price of a vhf put one in to be extra safe as the fog can be bad in the mornings.

Good luck Wolf

Hey guys

I appreciate the input here on this topic. Wolf i will be heading to the Island a few days prior to our trip to help get Buddies boat ready for our trip. Think i will convince him to get the VHF as you have recommended. Are you going to be up there next week guideing? We will be in the 25 foot Kingfisher and staying at Alder Bay Resort if you want to stop by for a Brewsky or 2.

Mudder

I would like to stop for a beer but we work so long up there we dont have time unfortunattly we are on the water for 12 hours a day with guests ill be up there for the week of the 18th to the 26th and i am sure ill be at malcom flower and craycroft.

Good luck Wolf

I guide up there aswell, and the cell phone coverage is pretty good in most areas. As a rule of thumb for me, if I can see the towers on Commorant Island (Alert Bay), the reception is good. Like Wolf says, at the far end of Blackfish Sound, near Whitebeach Pass and towards Craycroft, the reception is poor. West side of Swanson is good, and Malcolm is good, although I find if you are close to the beach the reception is worse than if you are out a bit.

I, also, vote for the VHF idea. Not only the fog, but there could be a boat in distress just around the corner, and you would never know without one. This topic has come up here before.

Have a fun trip, and tight lines.

FishWish

Fishwish thanks for the input and we will be looking at the VHF when i get out to Qualicom on Tuesday. Wolf i hear ya about the long Hours. Maybe we will connect somewhere out there while i am out and about. What you running for a Boat? Cant wait to get a good fish on as all i caught this weekend was small Rainbows.....but man they were good Chow.

Mudder aka Warren

Mudder here is one of the lodge boats but mine is a dark blue one everything the same but different colour ill be up there from june18th on see you there Wolf

pic12.jpg

Back