Telegraph Cove

R

Reelemin

I'm going to Telegraph Cove for Sat and Sunday and I'm looking for tips for where with what and how deep. I have been there twice and always done well by Malcolm Island and Cracroft Point. It would be nice to score a halibut while I'm there. I plan on doing a little whale watching and fishing. Any tips guys? Are there any closed areas up there? Are the sox in?

Hey,
we have not been up there since last august, and will not be up for another couple of weeks, but the most consistent spring fishing like you said is from donegal head to the slide up to lizard point. The last couple years we have had less success fishing craycroft, but the wall across the way there has been really good for us. Troll right in close to the rocks on a flooding tide. Anchovies, coyotes, herring, just about anything will work. Last year the area around stubbs island to double bayt was closed to all fishing becaue of a rockfish closure, so you may want to check that out.
Bottom line is halibut is difficult that time of year, but you mite pick one up trolling along the bottom in mitchell bay,
Please do post a report when you return.
good luck

Just got back from there guiding craycroft was tough to fish because of lots of pinks ,we were up at malcom every day for the mornings and as explorer said same spots the slide being a great spot found a crushed purple flasher and a purple crome head at 55 ft to be the best combo also the green blue crome head as well the best spoons were the mongoose coyote and the cop car using a false flasher set up.some nice coho still up there and the chum have just started to show got one big one(21#) on the last day up there on the spoon took us almost 20 mins to get to the boat one of the best fights have ever seen.

DFO has been up there a lot and when he came by me he said 8 out of 10 boats got busted for barbed hooks he was almost done his second book of tickets lots of people fishing illegal!!!!!!!!!!

There seems to a lot of fog this year as well (early!!!!) so make sure you have gps.

Flower island and bold head fishing very well also as the bluffs just listen to to the vhf youll here the guides hope this helps.

Good luck Wolf

Edited by - wolf on 08/04/2005 14:45:43

If you are willing to go further up malcolm island, bere point has always been good, we picked up the majority of our springs there last year. We use mainly bait, anchovies or cutplug, with preferably a green flasher. I will be heading up tomorrow.

Back