Telegraph cove - please help me im desperate for Halis

TinCup

Hey everyone if anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated. I have a freezer full of salmon as its been really good in comox all year so we came to telegraph yesterday for strictly Halibut and ling. fished 4 hours yesterday and so far 4 hrs today and not a sniff.
We have tried
-a little sw of White Cliffs
-at Just past Donegal head
-at lizard point
-and between mitchell bay and cormorant
All depths between 150-350 feet

What the heck am i doing wrong, ive always thought anyone could catch a halibut and salmon were the tricky ones. Again any help would be appreciated.

I had a tough go as well this year. We ended up trolling for them by the bluffs in 200ft of water bouncing bottom with anchovie rigs.

The current swings this week are significant, so it's tough to hold the bottom particularly when going deep. Mitchell Bay has been the best producer at the cleaning station at Alder Bay. I've brought up some chickens from an area between Cormorant and Sund's Lodge - where the underwater powerlines cross from Cormorant to Malcolm. 125 - 150 ft of water. Used the 2 hook/larger herring/spreader bar set up.

If you fished only 4 hours and tried 4 different spots, you may need to show a bit more patience :)...I know it's hard, hali fishing can be boring as hell.

I 2nd georges bank if you can drop a pic...tides may not allow. Other, yeah, trolling along the bottom around the slide in the 100-150' range may pull up a bycatch or two and I have caught decent out in the middle of cormorant. For ling, we had some luck around 120-150' across from Telegraph, middle of south side Hanson, that little nook just west of the bay. Its pretty exposed though.

If you fished only 4 hours and tried 4 different spots, you may need to show a bit more patience :)...I know it's hard, hali fishing can be boring as hell.

Agree 100%. Some days ya gotta put your time in. I have set the hook and sat in 1 spot for up to 5 hours without even a bite from a rock fish. In the 6th hour we boated a 53 a 44 and a 37 and the 3 of us had our fish for the day. First 5 hours was a game of patience but after the 6th we look at that day as being quite eppic.

Big fan of spreader bar and large herring as well. White Berkly worm with a little salmon belly dangling is not a bad idea either.

Thanks for all the help everybody.tried at the submerged power lines that bigbruce mentioned and landed 4 fairly quickly but 2 were small, but picked up another 2 same area the next day so we called it a decent trip as we got what we wanted, no time for Lings though, spent too much time grindin for the Halis.

Back