Telegraph Cove Report...

O

opp-i-ottan

Just returned from 2.5 days fishing (Thur, Fri, and Sat morning) N of Malcolm Is. Hit and miss conditions! 6 salmon... 2 Springs (16lb and 26lb) and 4 Pinks), all taken on anchovie and flasher, trolling at various depths between 45' to 55'. We also got one large Pacific Cod retrieved from 350 feet while jigging for Halibut. Thursday morning at the West end of Malcolm, with three Transient Orcas in our midst, yielded best results! Friday and Saturday were generally slow! Some boats were getting a decent amount of Coho but we we did not have any luck there! Heard that guys in the Port Hardy area were doing much better with both Springs and Coho! Thought of going there on Friday but I don't know that area at all, and the distance from Telegraph is somewhat daunting. Where are the "hot spots" close to Hardy? Any advise?

not too good fishing, sounds better than a weekago though :)
how was the water/weather?

I know the fishing could've been better... but the coolers were full of yummy snacks and assorted brewskies so we sure didn't suffer! [8D] Water N of Malcolm was dead calm the whole time... couldn't have been better! Thursday was nice and sunny, Friday and Saturday was overcast with very few occasional drizzles. Scenic highlight was witnessing a Minke Whale feeding on herring balls at George Bank on Thursday afternoon. We spent nights at some absolutely SPECTACULAR and SOLITARY anchor spots about 8-10 nautical miles north of Malcolm... in the Broughton Archipelago ... which is just a hop and a skip from the fishing grounds at Malcolm and George Bank! No need to crowd with other boats at Telegraph Cove, Double Bay or Farewell Harbour. [8D]

Oppi

Back