Taxes due on a used boat

So, I called Transport Canada this morning to see if they kept a copy of the receipt I sent in when I registered the boat in my name. No luck. He said any bill of sale is sent back.

I would make your own receipt in the amount you paid and remit based on that.
It may sound unlawful , but so is charging you 3 times what you owe.
and it should be unlawful for them to charge tax every time it's sold.

anyway to track down the prvious owner? make up a new receipt
Feds know already what you paid for tax on Trailer but wont volunteer it, it is reported by provincial, call icbc and ask what you paid on it, make sure it jives
they dont care if hull and motor is broken down you pay tax on both
fill out their form with what you paid and supply some sort of documentation to back it up
what they have assessed you at is not written in stone and they dont question if you provide supporting documents with the form you mail in

My understanding is you pay tax on the hull if it's an outboard.
When buying used break it out with separate bill's of sale and send in the one for the hull.
Something to do with one being and asset and the other an expense.

Hull had bad stringers and transom. I bought it for the power and trailer....Then later rebuilt the hull at a loss. Hull had no value at the time of sale. Would have cost money to dispose of.... Please send me money for saving the environment/landfill and creating something that in the future you will be able to collect tax's on....

Send them that..... :)

I was curious after reading this so went and looked at my info. I bought a boat in 2011 and the dealer charged me 12% HST on boat, motor and trailer at the point of sale. It was a used consignment deal.

I talked to the previous owner and he doesn't think he has a copy of the receipt. So I thought I would phone the Ministry of Finance at the number that was on my tax form. The guy that I talked to was actually quite helpful and says that it is a very common occurrence. He told me that the estimated value is a computer generated amount that is based on the length of the boat. He also said that they have had a back log and that is part of why it takes so long for them to get letters out. He informed me that they are not wanting to charge me more tax than I owe and they are just looking to get the tax on what I paid for the boat. They would like to see a bill of sale and he told me to do my best to find it, but if that is unavailable there is a couple different options. One being they can go on a blue book sort of value on the boat, which he told me the number for the boat in question and it was quite close to what I paid for it. Although I don't agree with the boat being taxed over and over again, I am happy that they seem to be fairly easy to deal with and understanding. One other thing is that they know who the registration was transferred from and to who, but do not have a copy or access to bill of sale that was submitted with registration.

Cheers All ... several years ago I ordered a custom vessel and, in the course of the construction, paid
for all the build, options and taxes ... forwarded the receipts to my accountant and then went fishing ...
3 years later I received a letter asking for the taxes ... after several telephone conversations the matter
was resolved but one has to think that, with so many people out of work, hiring a few more to keep the
system functioning without a 3 year delay might be in order ... and lengthy delays certainly adds to the
confusion with the fading of memories, the moving of people and the misplacement of documents ....

I bought my boat in 2009 and paid the tax at the time I registered the trailer. when they came calling a couple of months ago I could not find the original bill of sale but the ICBC trailer receipt and a copy of the boat insurance for that first year was enough to satisfy them. Might be an idea for you.

So, I called Transport Canada this morning to see if they kept a copy of the receipt I sent in when I registered the boat in my name. No luck. He said any bill of sale is sent back.
could the reciept be stuck in the envelope with the new registration in the boats Glovebox??????????????

My understanding is you pay tax on the hull if it's an outboard.
When buying used break it out with separate bill's of sale and send in the one for the hull.
Something to do with one being and asset and the other an expense.

Nope not the case, when I brought mine across the boarder and had all 3 different reciepts from the dealer they said that I bought a package and was being taxed accordingly,

Nope not the case, when I brought mine across the boarder and had all 3 different reciepts from the dealer they said that I bought a package and was being taxed accordingly,

I agree, in fact I believe they asked for prices of the boat, engine and other equipment, and I bought my boat locally. I don't think you can avoid taxes by breaking things down anymore. The form has a contact number on it, if you have questions you'd be best going right to the source. Lots of disinformation out there.

I sold the boat that they are trying to collect taxes on 6 months ago. Everything was cleaned out before it went.

Now that does suck, paying tax on something you no longer own

So if someone didn't change the hull numbers into there own name you might be safe. I know its the law but I'm sure it happens from time to time. Also if you bought the boat for "resale" you don't have to pay hst on it. This is why I like to trade you save a pile in taxes.

Yup I agree when you bring it across the boarder it's a package and you will be dinged tax on the total. Same goes if you buy it from a local dealer. I'm saying that if you buy it here privately, break out the receipts and send in the one for the hull. Now things change so this might not work but I can tell you it has worked in the past. Best to check it out for yourself if your in the market for a used boat.

bought mine used in tacoma,, paid all the taxes at the border. ouch

Back