Tasis Halibut

T

truebluewing357

We are planning a trip to Tasis for a wee Halibut adventure. I would appreciate some tips and advice if anyone has any they are willing to share. I will even be happy with a couple of chickens.

Hey Chubby Any clue how far out you would have to go out ?? Have you fished this area at this time for springs also ??

Not to far, 6 miles at most. but bigger hali's can be found closer in. For springs your best chance is down deep 120-190ft also 6 miles out from the green can.

My question would be....6 miles out in which direction? Is there a piece of structure out there that they like, like a rock pile? What is the best chart # for off-shore Tahsis?

I have a Lowrance LCX-111c HD, but the detail is very poor for WCVI, except for Bamfield and further south. There seems to be very little bathometric data for the majority of Vancouver Island, therefore it is not as easy to find the good hali spots. Any ideas?

My question would be....6 miles out in which direction? Is there a piece of structure out there that they like, like a rock pile? What is the best chart # for off-shore Tahsis?

I have a Lowrance LCX-111c HD, but the detail is very poor for WCVI, except for Bamfield and further south. There seems to be very little bathometric data for the majority of Vancouver Island, therefore it is not as easy to find the good hali spots. Any ideas?

Cornfed you may have to open up the other charts on your Lowrance,or purchase some other programming.From what i've seen Lowrance has great charts for that area.

Cornfed you may have to open up the other charts on your Lowrance,or purchase some other programming.From what i've seen Lowrance has great charts for that area.

There is a lot of good charts available. 6 miles west find some bottom structure 120ft - 260 ft there’s lots of spots to try. As I said before if you get out there you will get into fish. Remember, Tahsis has lots of amenities for supply so you don’t have to haul a lot of stuff up with you, it also gives you the opportunity to ask the locals for the latest info.

There is a lot of good charts available. 6 miles west find some bottom structure 120ft - 260 ft there’s lots of spots to try. As I said before if you get out there you will get into fish. Remember, Tahsis has lots of amenities for supply so you don’t have to haul a lot of stuff up with you, it also gives you the opportunity to ask the locals for the latest info.

I think you have to go in and tell it where you are. there are 3 charts in one. Go to menu, then map data, you should find it there good luck.

I think you have to go in and tell it where you are. there are 3 charts in one. Go to menu, then map data, you should find it there good luck.

Go to the Westview marina where they will point out the spots you are looking for. There are salmon coming in and the prawning is awesome but no crabs to be found anywhere. I just got back after a 3day trip. I put the boat in at Gold River and left the trailer there while my partner drove. He mentioned the first third of the road was rougher than usual and the latter part as usual. Gas is available at Westview at 2 cents a litre more than Cambell River which I thought very reasonable. Beer and food in the pub. I have my own place there so do not know of rentals but you could e-mail the the business there for more. Have a great trip,
Peege

Go to the Westview marina where they will point out the spots you are looking for. There are salmon coming in and the prawning is awesome but no crabs to be found anywhere. I just got back after a 3day trip. I put the boat in at Gold River and left the trailer there while my partner drove. He mentioned the first third of the road was rougher than usual and the latter part as usual. Gas is available at Westview at 2 cents a litre more than Cambell River which I thought very reasonable. Beer and food in the pub. I have my own place there so do not know of rentals but you could e-mail the the business there for more. Have a great trip,
Peege

I called Navionics and apparently the Lowrance 912G (bamfield and south) fish chip has a higher level of detail for Bathometric Data than the 913G fish chip(Neah Bay and north). They said that some of that data has not been plotted or developed yet. Have you guys ever looked at the level of detail of Neah Bay? You get a depth reading every 50 lateral ft if the contour is changing. Would you concur with what Navionics said?

I called Navionics and apparently the Lowrance 912G (bamfield and south) fish chip has a higher level of detail for Bathometric Data than the 913G fish chip(Neah Bay and north). They said that some of that data has not been plotted or developed yet. Have you guys ever looked at the level of detail of Neah Bay? You get a depth reading every 50 lateral ft if the contour is changing. Would you concur with what Navionics said?

Back