Targetting Coho in Barkley Sound

I've spent lots of time fishing for Chinook in Barkley Sound, but never much time targeting Coho. Usually our fishing time is limited due to family commitments, so any Coho we've caught have been purely incidental.

This year we're going to have lots of time (no wives or kids!) so I'm guessing we're going to be limited out on Chinook fairly quickly. Can anybody give me some tips for targeting Coho?

I'd like to put my lightweight mooching rod to use and get into some Coho on light tackle in the afternoons!

Thanks!

troll faster than normal,shallower than normal and shorter leaders than normal. They like kelpbeds so hugging the edge of them trolling might coax some fish. If they are around they shouldnt be to picky so most hootchies,spoons or bait should work

On Saturday they were loving the Blue/White hootchie, Blue/Silver 5" coyote, and anchovie in gloe heads. 8 hits in the morning with 5 landed. 1 hit on the surface while I was reeling up. Deepest at 80feet off the wall.
No chinooks around...

So you just fish all the normal Chinook haunts but faster? You don't head out into the middle of the channel or anything like that?

If you want to use lighter gear you can use a mini flasher instead of a full size for Coho. My best producing gear for Coho most years is a blue 8 inch flasher with a blue and white hoochie (as J-Global recommended). The purple people eater hoochie also slays the coho in the sound at times. I usually use about a 22 inch leader with the mini flashers for Coho.

Pick a colour and have at it!

apexsizes.jpg

Back