Barkley Sound in May?

plunk

I'm going to be out and about in Barkley Sound in a couple weeks, with a boat, going out of Salmon Beach. What should I be targeting? I figure I should be able to find Ling and Black Rockfish...any chance of Springs or any other salmon at that time? Never caught a halibut in my life.... are they around there? (No anchor...I'd be jigging). Thanks for any suggestions.

I'm going to be out and about in Barkley Sound in a couple weeks, with a boat, going out of Salmon Beach. What should I be targeting? I figure I should be able to find Ling and Black Rockfish...any chance of Springs or any other salmon at that time? Never caught a halibut in my life.... are they around there? (No anchor...I'd be jigging). Thanks for any suggestions.
Yes, yes, and yes

Yes, yes, and yes

Like Brutus said. May is often good for springs, ling and hali. Hali is the most weather dependent. We were off the red can today (picture). Lots of activity for chinooks. Great entertainment for folks. Chompity chomp. Lings fishing is generally best this time of year, it hasn't disappointed. Hali are troll friendly on the inner banks too. Don't necessarily have to drop an anchor.

Attachments

• 20220504_100842.jpg
    20220504_100842.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 255
Like Brutus said. May is often good for springs, ling and hali. Hali is the most weather dependent. We were off the red can today (picture). Lots of activity for chinooks. Great entertainment for folks. Chompity chomp. Lings fishing is generally best this time of year, it hasn't disappointed. Hali are troll friendly on the inner banks too. Don't necessarily have to drop an anchor.
That’s a well set up boat Seabeyond. Very jealous. Looks like a good day on the coast.

Nice! Is that the red can off Amphitrite point? I'm not super familiar with a lot of spots yet.

I follow Rocky Point Charters on social media and he has been doing well on springs as of late in the sound.
I checked it out. Looks like they're doing well right now for sure. I'll keep an eye out for their boat. He posted a pic of his sounder...so I have a pretty good idea where they've been lately.

Reactions: Bod
Heading out for all those species you mentioned, I'll be out in Barkley Sound during last week May 1st wk June, Ive got a request from inlaws to bring ,when we go back to Newfyland end of June, some lings and springs and smoked salmon
see ya out there!

Last edited:
Yeah @seabeyond lets see some more pictures of your tub!
Thanks fellas.
This was the first night after her dunk on the west coast for the season. Third week of April. Haven't seen another night so nice since. She wasn't all ready to go at that point but you get the idea.
Been out three days a week since. Love the spring fishery. Pretty lightly trafficed out there and the fish are normally close to home. Good times.

Attachments

• 20220419_204358.jpg
    20220419_204358.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 204
Back