Barkley Sound in May?

I was down at pill and San Mateo last Saturday . Lots of bait jumping but not a bite in the 3 hours we were there. Went and got a ding a ling for dinner. Last May was excellent for salmon. I am always happy to get a pm and will let anyone know where the salmon are.

I was down at pill and San Mateo last Saturday . Lots of bait jumping but not a bite in the 3 hours we were there. Went and got a ding a ling for dinner. Last May was excellent for salmon. I am always happy to get a pm and will let anyone know where the salmon are.
Awesome. I'll PM you when we're there. I saw your air fryer long. Looked delicious!

Last year we limited daily during last week of May, all 10-15 lb hatchery springs (they were like clones). Would like to do the same this year, hope the weather improves in the next few weeks, need to run up from Victoria.

i will be fishing around after the long weekend. will post!

Well I'm going out a bit on a limb...backed by some promising intel....WCVI (including Barkley) will be a hot zone this year. Columbia River Spring Run Chinook are already at 110,673 thru the counters, compared to the 10 year average of 83,429. Bear in mind in that 10 year average there have been some record returns.

Also compare the Sacramento River forecast for 2022 which is 396,500, compared to last year which was an epic return at 271,000. Oh, I forgot we have a Chinook Crisis. Nothing to see here, move along. :oops:

Well I'm going out a bit on a limb...backed by some promising intel....WCVI (including Barkley) will be a hot zone this year. Columbia River Spring Run Chinook are already at 110,673 thru the counters, compared to the 10 year average of 83,429. Bear in mind in that 10 year average there have been some record returns.

Also compare the Sacramento River forecast for 2022 which is 396,500, compared to last year which was an epic return at 271,000. Oh, I forgot we have a Chinook Crisis. Nothing to see here, move along. :oops:
Do most of those fish dry up by mid July?

Not offshore, July has always been really good to me. Why on earth we are not able to retain hatchery marked Chinook when the mark rates offshore are so high, and combined with strong runs of US fish and low encounters of Fraser Stocks of concern? Good grief Charlie Brown - we even have a Pacific Salmon Treaty that expects Canada to harvest US bound fish in exchange for the Alaskans further up the hill having negotiated access (the highest ER - exploitation rate) for WCVI Chinook amoung other Canadian stocks.

Inshore depends on if there is bait that will swing those fish in. I've had both good and bad fishing in Barkley for July but a lot depends on the bait situation. For example if there's a big squid spawn the fish seem to find them somehow. There always seems to be a few big fish around in July inside Barkley, luckily I've been able to find the odd tyee even in recent years.

Back