Tales From The Tyee Pool........2022

this has been the best year for salmon i’ve ever encountered in CR in my 46 years. that being said the size is down. my boat has released one over slot at 84 cm

Sure, but you are not fishing the Tyee Pool so the fish you are getting are not from this system.

We are perplexed as this is really bad for this time of year in the pool.

Take care.

Sure, but you are not fishing the Tyee Pool so the fish you are getting are not from this system.

We are perplexed as this is really bad for this time of year in the pool.

Take care.
Maybe the snow pack in that system had a late melt like the Fraser and presented opportunity for fish to scoot right up instead of holding.

Tonight was somewhat interesting as we had what I would call a slow take-down and upon striking it we broke off immediately.
The plug popped right up and was retrieved with the help of some keen eyed rowers who helped us spot it.
Thank you guys. Appreciated that.

Not sure why we broke or what caused it but that's the first time I've experienced that and usually my knots are good.
Oh well.....

The evening turned into a weed-fest of sorts as once the ebb current picked up it turned the Tyee Pool into the Sargasso Sea and it was near impossible to get a clean row for any distance at all.
I saw but two large fish show at the south end and virtually nothing at the north end, but there are a few around it appears.
Saw nobody catch anything or even row out with a fish on.

Sad.

Take care.

Tonight was somewhat interesting as we had what I would call a slow take-down and upon striking it we broke off immediately.
The plug popped right up and was retrieved with the help of some keen eyed rowers who helped us spot it.
Thank you guys. Appreciated that.

Not sure why we broke or what caused it but that's the first time I've experienced that and usually my knots are good.
Oh well.....

The evening turned into a weed-fest of sorts as once the ebb current picked up it turned the Tyee Pool into the Sargasso Sea and it was near impossible to get a clean row for any distance at all.
I saw but two large fish show at the south end and virtually nothing at the north end, but there are a few around it appears.
Saw nobody catch anything or even row out with a fish on.

Sad.

Take care.
Tides are good next few days 10-1300, use a spoon

Had a busy day here and missed the latest Tyee registered this morning by that Mike Stutzel guy who rowed another new member into the Tyee Club.
The new member is John Bentham and the fish he boated weighed 40 1/2 lbs. and took a spoon.

Mike is one of the hardest working rowers out there these past couple of years and hasn't slowed down a bit this year.
My hat is doffed in respect.

Here's the happy crew and their fish.

Tyee3Stutzel.jpg

Looks like a beauty to me.

A big WELL DONE.

Lousy out there tonight with a pesky wind making it hard to row hard enough to make the plugs work going one way and almost too quick going the other way.
Ah well........

Take care.

To the surprise of nobody I know, once word got out about Mike and John's success and the where and when of it all, the hardcore crew was on it.

Quite a crowd around the "spot" this morning with much jockeying and stuff going on.
Here's what I mean.
Nine boats in the photo with two more just out of it.
Not my favorite situation and I rarely join in the group when it's like that.

DSCN7437.JPG

Here's an interesting little ship that passed a few days ago.
Part research vessel and part mini-cruise ship heading back from Alaska.
RSCN7435.JPG

Take care.

To the surprise of nobody I know, once word got out about Mike and John's success and the where and when of it all, the hardcore crew was on it.

Quite a crowd around the "spot" this morning with much jockeying and stuff going on.
Here's what I mean.

View attachment 84078

View attachment 84079

Take care.
That bunching is unattractive to me

Short and succinct.

40 boats out last night.

Zero fish.

One small one this morning.

I know, I know, worst Haiku ever. LOL

Take care.

How about the Cabezon ??

Darn near ready to start fishing for them again, except that Bob Main guy has been hogging all the good Cabezon spots recently.

He lost an oar recently trying to get rid of a pesky little Chinook, so he's trying to atone for that.

Ha ha.

Take care.

How about the Cabezon ??
I got a cabezon first tide of the season. I shoulda taken a picture I would of had you and Bob shaking in your boots
Darn near ready to start fishing for them again, except that Bob Main guy has been hogging all the good Cabezon spots recently.

He lost an oar recently trying to get rid of a pesky little Chinook, so he's trying to atone for that.

Ha ha.

Take care.
ah man I got an absolute wall hanger cabezon first tide of the season… why did I not take a picture ‍♂️. Bob and yourself would have been green with envy the entire season. … dang gummit!

Here's what I mean.

View attachment 84078

View attachment 84079

Take care.

Looks like a pic straight from Twillingate NFL, fishing so close to each other your having a friendly chat with everyone around..
Hope some fish start showing

Seems like some fish have arrived as there were four unders yesterday (all day) including a chromer 28 pounder caught "downtown" and weighed after dark last night, plus three unders this morning.

Hope springs eternal in the human breast.

Take care.

I think i warned you about Stutzie and looks like he's dialed in again this year.. Heard he's been hanging around the basement of Morris and getting info ? You might want to step your game up to compete as he has set the bar high again this year lol.

He is one hard working guy for sure and full credit for his success.

My hat's off in respect. Sorry about the reflections.

To be fair though, he rows many hours more than the average rower does and tons more than I.

Were I not old and lazy I'd probably put more time into rowing all the tides and all that, but I do it for fun and getting up at 4:00 AM doesn't appeal to me much these days, nor does rowing in the hot noonday Sun.

I'm lucky to actually have a plug fishing for an hour and a half during my evening go outs, factoring in weed checks, dodging other boats and all that stuff, so my CPUE is pretty good in reality.

My Tyee CPUE sucks though, and Mike rules that category big time.
Well earned and well deserved I say.

Take care.

Dave, you have no equal when it comes to story telling and entertaining all of us on the forum.

Thank you, but there are some others here that are very talented at story telling.

Sharphooks comes to mind, for example.

Take care.

Back