Tales From The Tyee Pool........2022

Just back from the clubhouse and still only three Tyee on the board.
One undersize this morning reported by Bob.

Last night was interesting as I'd been asked to be a rower to help a woman celebrate her Birthday.
I was happy to agree but dismayed to see the wind much worse than the previous evening and not looking terribly promising.
A couple of others also involved arrived with their boats and we all stood around watching the conditions with the general thought being it didn't look good at all.
Living nearby and not wishing to sit around in the wind I made arrangements to take out the couple I'd been assigned some time in the near future and wandered home.
Half an hour later and it appeared the wind had abated considerably so I headed back to the clubhouse to check it out.
The only couple left on the beach were mine, as the others were all out.
It was just before 8:00 PM so I grabbed my rod-holders and we headed down to my boat.
Turned out that Rudi was an excellent boat driver and Trish had actually fished once before in the pool, so little instructions were required and we were out and dropping our plugs in fairly quickly.
We had an ebb current and an opposing breeze so not bad conditions at all.
Just as the Sun took its last peek at us before dropping behind the tree-line I mentioned that we were just about to enter prime time so were in good shape.
Less than five minutes later Trish had a strong strike and set the hook on a definite fish.
We were a bit away from everyone so we were robbed of the pleasure of yelling FISH ON, but we did have one on, so reacted accordingly.
Rudi reeled in quickly while Trish dealt with the runs of the fish, all the while keeping strong pressure on it and a good bend in the rod.
Alas, it quickly became apparent that this was not a big fish and in mere minutes Trish had it well under control and near the boat.
I netted it and noted it was very small, then asked if she wanted to keep it, thus ending her outing for the night.
"Let it go," she replied. "Let's keep fishing."

With that made clear I released the little fellow and we rowed back and set up again.
Mere minutes later the wind gusted up very strong and literally pushed us along so fast I couldn't effectively brake us in order to allow the plugs to work properly. We were done.
We reeled in and I rowed us close to the beach so we could motor back to the dock.
Several other boats did the same as it was quite difficult to fish in such a minor gale.
True to form, the wind abated shortly after we docked and the few diehards still out carried on, but, to no avail.

The fish we released was probably the smallest one I've ever caught from my boat, being a teener in reality, but I told Trish she could tell her friends it was 20 lbs. if she wanted to.
So, it appears a few more fish have turned up, but nothing near 30 lbs. amongst them from the look of things.

Ah well........

Take care.

Last edited:
Somehow I managed to achieve a really good back spasm last night which rendered me near useless today, so I cancelled my planned go-out and simply rested, the best remedy.
Nothing worth noting caught this morning although I did hear a nine year old weighed in a 29 lb. 1 oz. fish earlier.
Also heard of and saw the photos of a 39.5 pounder caught from the fishing pier downtown earlier today.
It was a fin clipped fish meaning a product of the Quinsam hatchery. Nice to see some big hatchery fish around.

Earlier tonight I wandered down to the clubhouse and upon arriving I noted a fish lying by the fence, near the cleaning table.
A quick enquiry revealed it had just been caught by two young men trolling from a canoe and weighed 25 lbs.
They had left it there so they could head back out to try for a bigger one.
Further to the story, it turns out they are from Tofino and had run across the Tyee Pool online so decided to give it a try.

Weighmaster Bob told me they had phoned a couple of days ago and asked about the rules, regulations, tackle requirements and all that stuff then told Bob they were coming to give it a try.
They registered and paddled out for their first try in the pool.
They trolled a spoon and the guy who hooked the fish told me he thought they had snagged up until the "snag" took off and started peeling line.
After a great fight they boated it and brought it in to be weighed.
At 25 lbs. it was just another under, but to those guys it was a great achievement to visit the Tyee Pool and actually catch a fish first time out.
I say, well done.
Here it is:
DSCN7447.JPG
It was another fin-clipped hatchery fish, leading to some speculation that maybe the run IS really a bit late this year. This is bolstered somewhat by the latest swim count of Chinook up the river, 438. Usually there would be two or three times that number by this time of year.
Food for thought.

Couple of cruise ships passed tonight also.
RSCN7448.JPG
And the Nieuw Amsterdam again.

DSCN7446.JPG

Cool and breezy tonight.

Take care.

Just back from the clubhouse and still only three Tyee on the board.
One undersize this morning reported by Bob.

Last night was interesting as I'd been asked to be a rower to help a woman celebrate her Birthday.
I was happy to agree but dismayed to see the wind much worse than the previous evening and not looking terribly promising.
A couple of others also involved arrived with their boats and we all stood around watching the conditions with the general thought being it didn't look good at all.
Living nearby and not wishing to sit around in the wind I made arrangements to take out the couple I'd been assigned some time in the near future and wandered home.
Half an hour later and it appeared the wind had abated considerably so I headed back to the clubhouse to check it out.
The only couple left on the beach were mine, as the others were all out.
It was just before 8:00 PM so I grabbed my rod-holders and we headed down to my boat.
Turned out that Rudi was an excellent boat driver and Trish had actually fished once before in the pool, so little instructions were required and we were out and dropping our plugs in fairly quickly.
We had an ebb current and an opposing breeze so not bad conditions at all.
Just as the Sun took its last peek at us before dropping behind the tree-line I mentioned that we were just about to enter prime time so were in good shape.
Less than five minutes later Trish had a strong strike and set the hook on a definite fish.
We were a bit away from everyone so we were robbed of the pleasure of yelling FISH ON, but we did have one on, so reacted accordingly.
Rudi reeled in quickly while Trish dealt with the runs of the fish, all the while keeping strong pressure on it and a good bend in the rod.
Alas, it quickly became apparent that this was not a big fish and in mere minutes Trish had it well under control and near the boat.
I netted it and noted it was very small, then asked if she wanted to keep it, thus ending her outing for the night.
"Let it go," she replied. "Let's keep fishing."

With that made clear I released the little fellow and we rowed back and set up again.
Mere minutes later the wind gusted up very strong and literally pushed us along so fast I couldn't effectively brake us in order to allow the plugs to work properly. We were done.
We reeled in and I rowed us close to the beach so we could motor back to the dock.
Several other boats did the same as it was quite difficult to fish in such a minor gale.
True to form, the wind abated shortly after we docked and the few diehards still out carried on, but, to no avail.

The fish we released was probably the smallest one I've ever caught from my boat, being a teener in reality, but I told Trish she could tell her friends it was 20 lbs. if she wanted to.
So, it appears a few more fish have turned up, but nothing near 30 lbs. amongst them from the look of things.

Ah well........

Take care.
Hi Dave, we are so glad that you came back and took us out as we thoroughly enjoyed the outing and your great guidance. Trish will have a fish story to tell forever (had she known the weather would change she would have kept the "20 pounder" :) ). We are both encouraged to return and try again. It was a true pleasure, thank you. Rudi & Trish Widdershoven, Nanoose Bay

Finally, Tyee number four.

Literally moments after I left the front yard of the Tyee Club's clubhouse last night this happened.
That whipper-snapper Peter Wipper rowed the lovely Karen Hutton to this 34 lb. 8 oz. Tyee.
The fish fell for a plug and is the fourth Tyee of this very slow season and everyone is very pleased to see it, believe me.

I'm still a bit back wracked but did discover that an Aleve helps a lot with the pain and once that eases I can function a lot better.
Hoping to get back at it tonight.

Here's Karen and Weighmaster Bob with Karen's Tyee.

Tyee422.jpg

Well done Peter and Karen.
Gives hope to the rest of us.

Take care.

Tonight was somewhat interesting as we had what I would call a slow take-down and upon striking it we broke off immediately.
The plug popped right up and was retrieved with the help of some keen eyed rowers who helped us spot it.
Thank you guys. Appreciated that.

Not sure why we broke or what caused it but that's the first time I've experienced that and usually my knots are good.
Oh well.....

The evening turned into a weed-fest of sorts as once the ebb current picked up it turned the Tyee Pool into the Sargasso Sea and it was near impossible to get a clean row for any distance at all.
I saw but two large fish show at the south end and virtually nothing at the north end, but there are a few around it appears.
Saw nobody catch anything or even row out with a fish on.

Sad.

Take care.
that was a weird take ! Great to be able to help with your plug !

CR Greg

Still gibbled here with a bad back that won't let go, so no rowing for me the past few days nor in the immediate future it seems.
More pain-killers that seem to work partly but no real reprieve, which has historically been my experience with pills and such.
Rest and time seem the best option right now, so that's where I'm at.

Resting can be done in the front yard of the clubhouse, so that's where I was last evening, enjoying the calmness and the parade of boats heading out to try for a Tyee.
There are always the early birds out and some are pictured here.
DSCN7453.JPG
Doesn't take long before the bulk of the fleet arrives and the bunching at the bar starts getting serious.
RSCN7462.JPG
To add to the attractions, a familiar cruise ship passed by, this time heading north to Alaska.
DSCN7451.JPG

All of the peacefulness, tranquility and serenity was rudely interrupted when that Mike Dougan guy was spotted pulling out from the pack with his rod-holder hanging tightly to a well bent rod, indicating a hooked fish.
Probably 20 minutes or so later we saw the net come out, dip into the water and a large fish entered the confines of the boat, wrapped in the net mesh, just like planned.

Some minutes passed as the lucky boat headed towards the clubhouse, where the assembled group waited to see what the couple had aboard.
After beaching the boat the fish was hauled out and we got our first good look at it, and it certainly looked like it could be a Tyee.
Weighmaster Bob took charge, wrapped the tail-hold cord around the fish's wrist and then hung it on the scale.
"30 lbs. and 14 oz's", he proclaimed. "It's a Tyee."

A round of applause greeted this announcement and several photos were taken.
Here's one.
DSCN7458.JPG
Mike and his wife Maegen, along with their dog, whose name I've forgotten unfortunately, because it played a part in this story also.

Mike claimed the plug they caught the fish on had been a good one last year but the dog somehow got hold of it and gave it a good chew.
Mike affected repairs using goop, bondo, sandpaper, paint and patience, although he claimed his paint job was terrible.
He decided to swim it regardless and the result was the fifth Tyee of the season.

I'm going to hire him to paint one of my plugs now. LOL

Good going Mike and Maegen.

Take care.

Recently ran across the following photo composition and have not double-checked it, but it does give an interesting look at how the concept of "big" has changed over the years.
TitanicCruiseShip.jpg

The Titanic was considered huge by the standards of the day.
Today, dwarfed by a modern cruise ship.

Note: If anyone knows more about this and/or whether or not it gives an accurate relationship of size, feel free to enlighten us.

Take care.

No bell-ringers tonight but we did see a boat row out and dip their net, but they did not bring their fish to the beach, so who knows?

Carrying on with the cruise ship theme a bit here as we had three pass by as the rowers were coming out and taking up positions this evening, and here they are.
First one was the largest one and was the Princess Line's Grand Princess, a beauty ship for sure.

RSCN7482.JPG

Next along came the much smaller Viking Cruise lines ship, the Viking Orion.
DSCN7472.JPG
And then, a bit later, came a Holland-American ship whose name I could not make out. She was a good size ship, as one can see.
DSCN7477.JPG
As usual, the crew always end up facing the same way when the small ebb current starts. By rowing against it one can control the beat of the spoon or the more erratic movements of the plug using only slight alterations in power applied to each oar-stroke. Earlier, before high tide, a few were still fishing the corner of the bar on the flood current and once positioned properly could stay virtually immobile with but a few touches of the oars required to do so.

DSCN7471.JPG

As dusk turned to dark it became apparent this was not going to be a fish-filled night, but most rowers stayed to the bitter end before rowing in, flashing up their engines and heading home.
RSCN7480.JPG

Another beautiful but fishless evening at the Tyee Pool.
The only redeeming thing about being crippled right now is that it's obvious I'm not missing much.

Maybe tomorrow........

Take care.

Dave,
just out of curiosity, what would be the perfect rod for doing this type of fishing?
what do the top rowers use?

I'm not a top rower but I use Richmake 760 rods, 7 1/2 feet long and glass.
I have three of them and they were all gifts from old friends/pals, as were the Hardy Longstone reels I use.
I know others who use custom built Sage rods or rods custom made from other blanks.

To be honest I really haven't paid much attention to what the others are using, but I do know there are a variety used, one way or another.
I think glass rods are a bit more robust and survive as boat rods better than some of the graphite composites used by some, as they seem more fragile and don't survive being knocked around as easily as fiberglass ones do.

I'll try to pay more attention to what some others are using and let you know what I learn.

Take care.

Another Friday morning and another day with no new Tyee to report on.

Frankly, it's been a dismal few days now with tons of boats fishing in lovely conditions every evening but nary a fish to show for it.
Saw a lone rower take one last night but he never brought it to the beach so it was undersized.
It's actually depressing to see 40 plus boats out being rowed by people with years of experience and using proven equipment and the result is the odd and rare undersize.
Pretty strong evidence they (Tyee) simply aren't here, yet.

Here are a couple of visual distractions for you.

The Marabell, used as a fishing lodge nowadays and currently at April Point. Note dock and boats being towed behind.
Ironically. an old logger friend remarked that he had looked at her as a possible camp for a logging show but found her a bit too "rustic" for their requirements. Fishermen aren't so fussy, apparently.
She is 80 years old, in case anyone wondered.

RSCN7489.JPG

I always enjoy watching the big barge loads of Alaskan bound stuff. It's amazing what is carried on top of all the containers.
RSCN7491.JPG
Sorry for blurry pics but the barge was a long way away in low light and it's a small hand-held camera being used by an old guy.

Just a short note that in 2016, we had only four Tyee on the board on September 1st.
September 2nd. started a run that added nine more Tyee, including the Daily Double on that date.
There is hope yet.

Take care.

Another Friday morning and another day with no new Tyee to report on.

Frankly, it's been a dismal few days now with tons of boats fishing in lovely conditions every evening but nary a fish to show for it.
Saw a lone rower take one last night but he never brought it to the beach so it was undersized.
It's actually depressing to see 40 plus boats out being rowed by people with years of experience and using proven equipment and the result is the odd and rare undersize.
Pretty strong evidence they (Tyee) simply aren't here, yet.

Here are a couple of visual distractions for you.

The Marabell, used as a fishing lodge nowadays and currently at April Point. Note dock and boats being towed behind.
Ironically. an old logger friend remarked that he had looked at her as a possible camp for a logging show but found her a bit too "rustic" for their requirements. Fishermen aren't so fussy, apparently.
She is 80 years old, in case anyone wondered.

View attachment 84495

I always enjoy watching the big barge loads of Alaskan bound stuff. It's amazing what is carried on top of all the containers.
View attachment 84496
Sorry for blurry pics but the barge was a long way away in low light and it's a small hand-held camera being used by an old guy.

Just a short note that in 2016, we had only four Tyee on the board on September 1st.
September 2nd. started a run that added nine more Tyee, including the Daily Double on that date.
There is hope yet.

Take care.
Fished on the MV Marabelle 3 times when I was a kid in Hakai Pass. Great place to stay, eat and fish.

I'm babysitting a dog for the weekend so was out for a walk this morning, still somewhat plagued by what appears to be a persistent sciatica malfunction, and as is my custom, checked in at the clubhouse.
I was delighted to see a new number in the latest Tyee slot on the board, and it was 31 1/2, although the weight was actually 31 lbs. and 14 ounces, or, as it's known in the fishing fraternity, darn near 32.
Upon a closer look at the board it appeared it was caught last night at 8:00 PM, which surprised me a bit as I was at the clubhouse at that time and saw no Tyee weighed in.
I suspect that was the time when it was hooked and was used in a generic manner.
I know nothing about where it was caught, but here it is with the two members of the Campbell family who caught it.
Well done, men.
Tyee6Campbell.jpg

Last night also brought us a fish story that is almost a fantasy for Tyee rowers, and it involved Tim Samuels, no stranger to this game.
He motored by on the way to fishing, waved to the crowd then carried on a bit before turning the boat out and rowing into position.
A secret number of "pulls" were counted out, a weight attached, a little forward motion attained and then 21 more "pulls" and he was fishing.
He didn't fish long though, as his plug was pounced on by a rather nice salmon immediately, if not sooner.

This is what we all hope for, at one time or another, the dropping of a plug or spoon and an immediate strike.
It happened to me one morning, but this is about Tim, and last night.
It wasn't long before Tim was on the beach at the clubhouse with his new catch and asking Bob to weigh it.
Bob did and the fish weighed 28 lbs. and a few ounces, short of being a Tyee a bit.
The full fantasy of this happening includes the fish being a Tyee, so Tim missed out on completing it last night, but he wasn't complaining.
He did declare it the "Shortest fishing experience he'd ever had", though.

Anyway, congratulations to the Campbells and here's hoping there are still a few more Tyee heading our way.
My back has got to get better sooner or later.

Take care.

Aww dam back pain, dont wish that on anyone!
hope it clears up for you soon!
"core, gotta work on your core!" the wife says to me !!
Thanks for the update, hope more are coming!

Hey Dave, are most of the tyees in the pool, red springs or a mix of whites too? Just curious is all.

I think they are mostly reds, but will ask around out of curiosity, and because I don't really know.

Take care.

Dave

Hey Dave, are most of the tyees in the pool, red springs or a mix of whites too? Just curious is all.

One of my more successful rod-holders tells me that all four of the Chinook we've caught the past few years were reds.

I have no reason to doubt him, but will ask a few others who have more knowledge that I.

Just in case.

Here's one he caught a couple of years ago.
OwenTwentySix.jpg

Take care.

do you know an ole buddy of mine
Mike Rippingale? and where he is these days?
his was a pool highlighter and head guide at painters.
His kids are great fishermen as well, but what would you expect.

Back