Tales From The Tyee Pool...........2019...

RSCN5920.JPG RSCN5922.JPG

Note slot in first pic that sometimes causes the hook harness to not slide into the plug properly.

Figured out what I was doing wrong with the pics too.

Luddite here sometimes. LOL

Take care.

The "Man with the Black Hat", Dave in action. Thanks for the posts Dave.

SRAbZ0XK6S3cwOIbYKReVa5zoRsSwimHThX6jNohEskAh2duDhdLV8TbOO1RR22DcmdVnIJamtUrTU4PHv_Dyw8RrxwbHb03jqt41WogECt_eIJU4vMmZFHoTVIIleb_IwIvJ1pmKLn2AlIpgMErR6Huj4WSI09ZBiEUFQhxLwhvQjqgcGO3WXNDL0UwUjdxwvcQhl-DWoVoAdEiFE0G4qLQMOz6Xr09pG01GaAIpKYaE2QD4zAFb-ay06Thb1TL37WVHL1Z_n8OX0nI6RATINu0M-_78ECIBrri9lzSAhJdusnF77T4AhwGbu_xH5AQ3Z_gBbz2DcvfY8ubmuWlHwDSp9I0Nzxbk45WnwRhogcR0EBNQZ39XoGIgNSI-tikARJ612pl-n9jG0vExMqcfkPM7MLBV5d7Md0Oq-XItUu1-pz4PrqmwBO4K0udpX7cHVPlgT4tgE9fM8cx4FT5JVyUJUS_XL9iQnJnkrCEQYA_Eq7W9EL6527Jy9VLjrvbkPh3d3YXPUjCaI0I7XXlHd2zjaZHOosDnpSdMjohvC2hfJBZ2yhfYnfnOkcNVxWZq7DiJAQDjbQtnMcGf7xotB-Ww90WrH3hSrKXPzQLNziW3xtJicS0dX8v6JcjR-dziOEducxdnJRLGqLIj5d5KpqNdhyH4ALiBlyuh1eqZoJh8RLW3WG84A=w342-h608-no

RSCN5929.JPG RSCN5930.JPG RSCN5932.JPG BLOODBATH AT THE CLEANING TABLE!!

Start with a lurid headline they said. That'll attract some attention.

So with no Tyee to report the past few days, although a number of unders were weighed, the heartbreaker being one that went 29 lbs. 10 oz on the new scale, I didn't have much to share with you all.

That changed this AM as I was enjoying my first cup of java when the distinct DING DING DING of the bell at the clubhouse rang out, clear as could be.

A few minutes later and I, trusty dog on leash, started the walk, dawdle, sniff and pee routine, repeated, that usually ends up at the Tyee Clubhouse eventually.

Turning into the driveway I was pleased to see the fish hanging by the bell and someone snapping pics of the three people standing next to it. Note it was 30 lbs. and some ounces so the numbers didn't change on the board.

Turned out to be Trevor Erickson, the rower, along with new Tyee Club member Scott Laird, on the right, and his wife, on the left.

Now, we've all heard of Murphy's Law, so it was only natural that Trevor, being the gentleman that he is, offered to clean the fish, even though he was wearing nice khaki light colored pants. Perhaps you can see where this is going.

I was engaged in conversation with Scott and his wife as Trevor cut into the fish on the cleaning table.

It was a squirter. (You knew it had to be.)

We cut short our conversation and watched as Trevor attempted to wipe the blood from his pants, murmuring something not quite audible, a lady being present and all.

After the appropriate condolences from we observers, he set about the completion of the cleaning.

Turned out the fish was not fin-clipped, was a female full of roe and had a stomach half full of recently ingested and only partly digest needlefish and a couple of what may have been small herring. It was still feeding, which seemed surprising at first, until they said where it had been caught.

The north end of the fishing pier at the start of the ebb.

A pic of the stomach contents for your perusal above.

So here was a coloured up fish, obviously close to maturity and its home river, but still feeding away this morning.

Interesting stuff.

I'm also posting a pic of the table one is supposed to use when waiting to have a fish weighed.
Maybe it's me and my warped sense of funny, but having that sign right next to the trough, into which one would place their fish, seems a bit at odds with the obvious intention of having the trough there.

Needs to be cleaned a bit too as my dog, Buddy the Vampire, was going nuts wanting to lick the blood so evident in the pic.

He thinks he's a Bloodhound I guess.

That's it for now.

Take care.

Last edited:
Sunday AM and no new Tyee that I'm aware of, but I'll share a couple of heartbreaking stories with you that truly define the capriciousness of this fishery.

Two days ago, Mike Mackie was rowing his kids again and his son, Tyee Man from last year, hooked into a good one.

Some anxious minutes later and the fish was in the boat and hanging on Mike's hand-held scale.

It looked really close so they came in immediately and had Bob weigh the fish on the new scale that goes right down to ounces on its face.

The fish weighed 29 lbs. and 15 ounces, with just a miniscule sliver showing between the needle and the 30 lb. mark indicating that it was just shy of being a Tyee. It was 40 1/2 inches long and had been feeding recently too, but not quite enough it seemed. A couple more Needlefish short.

Not long afterwards, a fellow named Bob turned up with a fish that, when hung from the scale, also reached 29 lbs. and 15 ounces, again just under Tyee size.

It also was 40 1/2 inches long but had sat in the boat for an hour before being brought in to the Weighmaster, something that may have cost it an ounce or two.

Regardless, I would have probably been in tears had either been my fish.

Last night I rowed my most successful rod-holder this year, given we were two fish for two outings earlier, although at 26 and 28 lbs. neither was a Tyee.

We got nada, but my old trusty rower CC had a beauty right to boat-side and on its side last night, but just as he picked up his net the fish made a couple more shakes and the hook came out.

It happens.

So here we are, with 10 Tyee and a number of unders for the season and but two weeks left.

It could be better, but it's fishing, and we all know what that means.

Take care.

RSCN5956.JPG Geepers, a guy can't even catch a small one without someone ratting him out. :D

Last night could have only been better had our fish made 30 lbs. like both the ones above caught this morning near the Green Can by my neighbour, Terry Malbon did.

I say that because the guy who got ours last night is the Father of one of my long-suffering annual rod-holders and was out with us fishing despite being in a serious battle with cancer and having had an operation but a week ago. To top it off, he hadn't caught a salmon in 20 or 25 years.

He laughed when he said he was going to harass his nurses who had told him to not go fishing so soon after his operation.

To say I was stoked would be really accurate, even though the fish was but 21 or 22 lbs. Had a good little fight including the much feared close to the boat/short line/ jump madly in the air scenario that is both exciting and scary, as the hook can come loose so easily when that happens. Ours didn't.

Also pleased to report another Tyee registered this morning as the always graceful Jim Clowes rowed John Todd to a shiny new 32 1/2 pounder that fell for a plug.

Well done Jimmy!

A few undersized ones last night and this morning also, most fresh and bright, so hopes are up that there are new fish still coming.

For info purposes, the pic above shows Terry with his morning catch from around the Green Can at 200 feet using hootchies.
Chrome enough for you?

Not as heavy as they look because both were short and fat, neither much over 36-37 inches yet weighed much more than a Tyee Pool fish would at those lengths. These were 36 or so and 32 or so, weighed by hand on an ancient old scale, so could be out a smidge. Beauty fish nonetheless, and not not fin-clipped. Sure like to know where they are heading for.

So there you go, one new Tyee, several new unders and good fishing elsewhere for those who motor-boat fish.

Go get 'em.

Take care.

Well, it has been slow, slow, and really slow the past few days, and no new Tyee have been registered.

There have been two or three undersizes each day, most in good shape, but all in the 20's for poundage.

One week to go and interest seems to be waning as there weren't the number of boats out Saturday night one would expect, although spectator interest seems strong still with many vehicles parked each night along Spit Rd.

Hoping there will still be new fish arriving and that amongst them will be a few fat ones this last week.

Saw a few rolling last night, but when you consider there is probably 200 years worth of rowing experience in the pool each night with guys who have caught dozens of Tyee, and nothing is being caught, you have to believe there simply aren't many fish in the pool.

The last swim count in the Campbell showed 800 Chinook, so that's where many have gone recently I suppose.

Anyway, we're anglers so we're always hopeful that the next tide is the one.

We'll get'em tonight.

Take care.

Good news this morning as some guy named Mike Mackie rowed a new member into the Tyee Club with what Bob described to me as being a "really nice fish" that weighed 31 1/2 pounds. Fell for a plug this morning around 6:30 AM. I slept through the ringing of the bell, apparently. :D

So say Hi to one Rich Fryer, not to be confused with that Tuck fellow who was a poor Friar, and welcome him as the newest member of the club.

I'll post a photo when I can.

In other news, I noted a camera/video person in the boat with Jeremy Maynard a couple of nights ago, so something was happening there.

Also noted Randy Killoran, immediate past-President of the Tyee Club, out with some type of attachment on his gunwale that held a camera of some sort and two people in the rod-holders seat, so something was happening there too.
I've heard that a Tourism Destination group is doing a feature on the Tyee Pool so perhaps that was it.

Last evening I got a good workout as the flood current seemed to build way ahead of when I thought it should, not that I'm in charge of those things, but when the tide table calls for an ebb until a certain time one is often surprised by which way the current is actually moving much earlier than the predicted time in the book.

Saw one little one taken last night but it was pretty darn quiet.

Heard there were a half dozen boats fishing "downtown" last night too, but nothing turned in as a catch.
I suspect "downtown" means the north end of the fishing pier and that area, where fish are known to hold and can be caught.

Think it was three years ago when Jeremy rowed the big fish of the year (36 1/2) which was caught down there.

I'm touring a fellow around the pool tonight who has a strong passion for fishing and really wants to try this.

As long as he can control his abject disappointment when I once again fail to hook a Tyee, he'll be ok. LOL

That's all for now.

Take care.

RSCN5973.JPG

Greetings all on this fine Tuesday morning and no, that's not a Tyee in the photo, but it does have a bit of a story.

I was recently contacted by a young fellow who is both a hard-core angler and a talented videographer who expressed an interest in the Tyee Club, its history, founding, old time stories and the current happenings.

I invited him to go out with me, although I wasn't sure how he would both video and fish, something quickly solved when we finally got to the boat, after some time creating an interview in the yard of the clubhouse.

By setting up a tripod with the camera just ahead of the engine the field of vision allowed both Josh, the rod-holder, and myself to be seen, so away we went to the pool.

I'd suggested we not actually fish for the first half-hour so I could tour him around, point out some of the markers we rowers use as well as some of the more well-known rowers, and generally allow him to video whatever caught his fancy. So we did just that.

I'd explained earlier about the unique couple here in Campbell River who are the only parents on this planet who have two sons who have each rowed an over 60 pound Tyee, and suggested that might make a good story angle. He agreed so I called Mike Gage and arranged for them to meet up in the near future, plus pointed him out as they trolled by later on, son Roger rowing and faithful canine companion Cindy keeping a close watch on things.

As evening progressed it seemed a good time to start fishing ourselves, so we put out an old tried and true Chinook head pearl pink Lucky Louie that had taken a fish but a week ago, for Glen, the guy battling cancer.

It was a great row last night and we saw fish immediately at both ends of the pool, always encouraging, so we did the round trip and then the obligatory once around the mooring buoy, something I try to accomplish each outing. In addition, I set Josh up for when we neared Paul Curtis, asking him to say, "Is that the guy you were telling me about?" just loud enough that Paul could hear it. As always, Paul took it in good humour and we had another good chuckle about the imaginary event I've tortured him with all these years. Still funny.

Upon completing our tour with the old plug on I decided to switch us to my faithful pale pearl pink shovel-nose Lucky Louie, which took but a moment as Josh is an experienced angler and followed directions well. We made a loop with the new plug and noted someone row out with a fish in tow not far from our location, also always an encouraging sign, so I moved us to a spot where I've hooked fish before, hoping against hope we'd hook something while on camera.

Light was fading fast so I asked Josh to grab the stern light and put it in its holder, I'd look after the bow.

Now Josh was fishing the easy side for rod-holders with his right hand on the butt of the rod and his right thumb on the spool, his left hand ahead of the reel, allowing for as big a swing as possible to set the hook.

He took his left hand off the rod, picked up the light and was about to push the button to flash it up when the fish hit.

Totally surprised but quick to react to the strike, he reared back with his right arm and hand, eyes wide as could be, then looked at me and asked: "What should I do with the light?"

I was pulling hard on the oars, looking to see if any boats were close, (none were but I yelled "FISH ON!" anyway,) just 'cause it's neat to be able to do so.

"Just put it down on the seat." I replied, calm as could be.

He quickly complied, then turned to the task of the fish on the line, which had obviously had a good look at us and decided it wanted nothing to do with joining us in the boat. This was evidenced by the long albeit intermittent run the fish made as I continued to row us away from it. Probably 150 feet or so away from us it made a jump, which showed clearly that it was not a Tyee, but still a nice salmon.

Much rapid reeling then ensued as the fish ran back at us and we may have let out a small whoop or two along the way as things progressed, what with being hooked up and with the pre-strike, the strike and the ensuing fight being caught on camera and all that.

Eventually the fish came near and once again we were treated to the always scary short line mad jump near the boat routine that can happen, often with dire results and an escaped fish.

But not this time.

As you all know, I'm now an experienced rower and have netted enough fish that it's usually not a problem, not really being that difficult if all things are in order.

Imagine my surprise then when Josh noted I'd somehow knocked one of the oars out of the oarlock whilst grabbing the net and moving it around, and there it was, floating away.

I figured we'd catch up with the oar after I netted the fish, and that's what happened, so no harm done except to my reputation I guess. I'll survive.

Naturally, the hook got all tangled up in the net, resulting in having to cut the plug off and then attempting to unhook the hook from its tangled web, and in the dark now.

Josh checked the camera and ran a short bit of the video, stoked as could be on what we'd captured, and we exulted a wee bit in actually getting a strike and a boated fish all on camera, a videographers dream.

There will be a lot of editing before any finished product is produced, and it could have been better were I a more handsome fellow, something I'm rarely mistaken for, but from my perspective it was neat meeting another young keener and I was stoked to have produced some on camera action too.

In other news from last evening, one Bob Main, my annual foe in the King Of The Cabezons competition, appeared at the clubhouse dragging what first appeared to be a Tyee sized hip-boot behind him but turned out to be a real fish that weighed 32 1/2 pounds on the scale, a Tyee indeed.

And I'm told he was mad as could be about it as he had been rowing his nephew last night trying to get a Tyee for him, but decided to put out a line for himself, and sure as can be, Bobs plug got bit so Bob ended up with another Tyee to his credit and the nephew got squat.

Bob is #13 on the board and self-rowed, so not too shabby for him really, and it's typical of Bob to be mad that his nephew didn't get the fish as Bob is just that kind of generous guy.

It's a shame he can't catch a Cabezon though.

Take care.

Great story Dave. You are able to gracefully articulate the inevitable gong shows of salmon fishing that the rest of us prefer to sweep under the rug after each outing out. Haha.

Thanks for keeping us so up to date! I was into River Sportsman today and their “dedicated” Tyee Club board is a few fish behind being updated. So thankfully we have you.

Thanks Dave for the entertaining tales.... Now I am rowing a bit myself this thread serves the dual purpose of entertainment and a report on how things are looking in the pool!

I can add a short bit from the other night when you saw the videographer out in the pool with Jeremy Maynard. There are some commonalities with your experience last night. I had my wife out that night for the second time this season (just learning how liberating babysitters can be!). We were towing an improved Stewart which I have been fishing under almost all conditions for the sole reason that I have never had a bite on anything else in my limited experience.

Fairly early in the evening she let out a yelp just North of the mooring buoy and the rod doubled over. Even though it really wasn't necessary given the pressure on the fish I leaned into the oars... mostly out of shock. The port oarlock sheared off at the socket and I rolled off my seat into the bow of the boat. This left us floating around right in the pack, presumably with everyone wondering why I lacked the etiquette to take the fish out of the pool. I was also right under the lens of Jeremy's videographer, who was only about 6 m away. After a decent run the fish turned and came at us, with my wife desperately trying to catch up with no help from me. It then swam right up to the boat... so in the absence of a better plan I stuck the net in the water in front of it and it obligingly swam in. Of course being totally fresh it then went ballistic, and given that it hooked its head to the net only about 6" down from the rim I figured I needed to get it aboard before it flipped itself out. What followed was a not a clinic in smoothly boating and dispatching a fish. Regardless, it was a thrill. The fish was a clipped 20 lber... presumably a Quinsam Hatchery fish. I am not sure what will happen to the footage from Jeremy's boat... but if it ever emerges it does not cover us in glory.

See you out there.. I hope the season holds another one for you!

For Bugs:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Thanks for that.

I love "gong shows", as long as nobody gets hurt, or craps their pants, or falls in.

Great stuff!!

Take care.

Back