Tailings break

Yeah I knew that you saw how quick the government came out to deflect blame right at company. Very typical. Not saying company was not doing anything wrong. But the ministry is equally responsible and not buying it. Where's our premier she seems to have nothing to say.:eek:

It's her new strategy, you really have not seen her at all since her re-election. Bad press she lets her Ministers look bad and take the heat. If this happened in the States you probably would have heard from the President. Our Provincial leadership is sad, they have not stepped up at all.

Here's an example, why does it take 4 days for a water test? This is ridiculous, the Province should have stepped up and made this priority one and get the results instantly, no excuses.

It's her new strategy, you really have not seen her at all since her re-election. Bad press she lets her Ministers look bad and take the heat. If this happened in the States you probably would have heard from the President. Our Provincial leadership is sad, they have not stepped up at all.

Here's an example, why does it take 4 days for a water test? This is ridiculous, the Province should have stepped up and made this priority one and get the results instantly, no excuses.

If Dix had been elected, he'd of rushed the sample to those C.S.I. guys on TV and had it annalized in the time it takes to do a commercial break.

When the Liberals are worried about losing corporate tax dollars during shut downs, that's when you get warning after warning. Also, you actually need to have adequate staffing levels in the MOE to monitor and intervene.

You're probably mostly right, I wonder if all 5 warnings were levy integrity? They could have been for poor signage for all we know. It's also not all the liberals, it's every BC resident that has ever voted for lower taxes and balanced budgets, moneys gotta come from somewhere.

The blind leading the blind.............

Wednesday, August 06, 2014 04:55 AM

Prince George, BC-. The Department of Federal Fisheries spokesman , Dan Bate , says the BC Ministry of the Environment is leading the response and initial investigation into the Mount Polley dam break.

Environment Canada is the lead federal agency on accidents of this nature.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada is currently assessing the possible impacts on the Fraser River sockeye salmon.

DFO will be closely monitoring the salmon run as it approaches the Quesnel system over the coming days to assess the potential effects.
Other factors such as water temperature can also impact the salmon returns.

The forecast for the return of sockeye salmon in the Quesnel system is 845,000 to 2.95 million.

In-season updates to the Summer Run size are expected in mid-August after the peak migration through the marine areas.

Crusty Clarke is a joke. She finally spoke to the media with tribal paint on and said the water is fine. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Look at what the water was tested for. It was a standard drinking water test. It doesn't test for the toxins they introduced. Also, a sample needs to be taken from up the lake from the spill so the samples can be compared to properly assess the contribution of the spill. A baseline is needed. Where the hell is anything resembling proper scientific method? Why does everything need to be so cloak and dagger? At least she danced and chanted with face paint. That'll fix it.

that 1 poor lady who gave the drinking water report on the news looked almost like she had a gun held to her head prior to her talking.... just my take

I want more info! There has to be some member of the public with the sense to do their own testing, lets hear what's really up.

Something's not right about this.How can millions of cubic feet of toxic sludge pour into a lake and still be drinkable?
I sense some sort of coverup here.I guess we'll know what's happening when the fish start floating belly up. I hate to be
a pessimist but there's no way that this thing is going to end up being anything but real bad!

The reason it isn't affecting the water is that the water is not acidic and therefore won't carry the metals as readily. The metals are trapped in the silt and on the bottom of the lake, along the creek and the majority of the volumes quoted are still in the tailings pond area. The water escaped and washed a large quantity of silt out but nowhere near all. The contaminants will settle to the bottom, be covered in natural silt and a small amount will continuously flush through. It is similar to amalgam fillings in your teeth, they have a large amount of mercury in them but the conditions in your mouth only pull a very small quantity out into your system. Small enough that it is tough to measure and the debate rages on about whether or not there are adverse health effects. This spill will be the same. There will likely be no way to attribute future health issues for people or the ecosystem to it. Mother Nature is fickle enough that the variability makes quantifying almost anything difficult.

The reason it isn't affecting the water is that the water is not acidic and therefore won't carry the metals as readily. The metals are trapped in the silt and on the bottom of the lake, along the creek and the majority of the volumes quoted are still in the tailings pond area. The water escaped and washed a large quantity of silt out but nowhere near all. The contaminants will settle to the bottom, be covered in natural silt and a small amount will continuously flush through. It is similar to amalgam fillings in your teeth, they have a large amount of mercury in them but the conditions in your mouth only pull a very small quantity out into your system. Small enough that it is tough to measure and the debate rages on about whether or not there are adverse health effects. This spill will be the same. There will likely be no way to attribute future health issues for people or the ecosystem to it. Mother Nature is fickle enough that the variability makes quantifying almost anything difficult.

That's a very good summary of how I understand it also.
A few things are in our favor on this disaster.
The chemistry of the rocks that creates the acidity that leaches the copper and heavy metals that harm the environment. That's what was deadly here in the Comox Valley's Tsolum River -it's called Acid Rock Drainage
Second thing was that the spill went into a lake with low energy levels. It can settle to the bottom and it's a very deep lake so that helps keep the energy low. The less energy in the water the harder it is for solids to stay in suspension. Time of year is also in our favor, It's a dry time and it gives the crews a chance to clean up and prepare for the fall/winter rains.

Make no mistake there should be hell to pay for this eff up.
Our captains of industry have failed us.
Our elected leaders used ideology to govern the industry.
Paper rules are not a substitute for inspection.
Government has not done it's due diligence.
RCMP should be investigating all parties in this mess.
Warning signs were there and they ignored them.
How many more time bombs are ticking as we sit here.

I just had to add this video about the Tsolum River.
It's a story of the journey that the river and it's people took.
[cy-4wRDzglk] http://youtu.be/cy-4wRDzglk

No...Don't believe that the government was was very clever. Initially I heard him on CBC and I was encouraged by what I heard...But..... Then I remembered the name... A lot of his analysis was way to encouraging..... We been here before...discredited..... this guy is on he other side of fence and tied into federal funding ... Also one the advocates against morton and the farmed fish effort as well as cohen inquiry.

http://www.seashepherd.org/commenta...2/15/biostitutes-shill-for-salmon-shysters-40

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-13796.html

http://bccahs.wordpress.com/2010/12/13/sea-lice-not-cause-of-wild-salmon-collapse-researchers-say/

As I said in beginning everything right now is being done to deflect the public anger with media to limit damage control. This was big screw up...Just don't be fooled by what you read that's all.. Time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
i live right next to damn break everyone says they hada hard time breathing is bullshitting there was fish in the tailing ponds

i live right next to damn break everyone says they hada hard time breathing is bullshitting there was fish in the tailing ponds

Post a picture for us. It would be nice to see a picture that hasn't been filtered through the media.

Lank - I truly doubt it is as simple as you described. My biggest concern is for the contaminants that bioaccumulate or biomagnify up the food chain - even if they leach out of the sediment in small quantities. Some of those contaminants listed are quite nasty in even small doses.

Back