Tahsis ouch!!

Makes a guy re think his thru hull fittings
Yup.. All mine are Bronze with shut off values and double banded as per commercial regs... :) when i first got my grady the second season before I started to guide they we the original plastic ones and had 1 hull fitting pop about 2 inches above the water line... close call :)

Last edited:
I installed just this as we stay out on anchor, alarm also turns on pumps
Is there anything on the market that monitors the rate of change of water level? That way the alarm will sound if the bilge goes from 0 to 1-2” (or less) of water in a short time period. Would be a lot more useful than a high water alarm that goes off a few minutes after water starts gushing in.

There should really be a thread on here about thru hull fittings.

@Clint r , I know what you were saying, I was just making it clear so people don't think stainless is the way to go. Especially on a boat like this one.

@Derby yours will be bronze not brass. That's the way to go. Bronze over stainless all the way.

Alot of guys will use a straight plastic fitting. I've even see a boat builder do it once. Plastic is fine if you use marelon.

It's funny how the transport rules for new builds in the states have changed, but here in a Canada it hasn't caught up yet.

There should really be a thread on here about thru hull fittings.

@Clint r , I know what you were saying, I was just making it clear so people don't think stainless is the way to go. Especially on a boat like this one.

@Derby yours will be bronze not brass. That's the way to go. Bronze over stainless all the way.

Alot of guys will use a straight plastic fitting. I've even see a boat builder do it once. Plastic is fine if you use marelon.

It's funny how the transport rules for new builds in the states have changed, but here in a Canada it hasn't caught up yet.
Correct on All accounts :)

It really is a great topic that most people don't know much about. The differences between types of bronze, brass, and other non ferrous metals and the combination of them together etc. There's alot to know.

Attachments

• 1C1F2CF7-EB2F-42FE-9A63-3F02A9C664DB.png
    1C1F2CF7-EB2F-42FE-9A63-3F02A9C664DB.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 95
It really is a great topic that most people don't know much about. The differences between types of bronze, brass, and other non ferrous metals and the combination of them together etc. There's alot to know.
This article provides a good synopsis of the ABYC requirements, along with the risks of failure in amateurish installations.
With metal through hulls remember the Bonding. Also "excercise" them. This site has dozens of worthwhile articles.

Last edited:
Super comprehensive resource - I replaced factory thru hulls on my Grady using the Groco flange adapter - a lot of extra work, but its a better approach.
Groco is the gold standard. Good chandlers will have their products.

Is there anything on the market that monitors the rate of change of water level? That way the alarm will sound if the bilge goes from 0 to 1-2” (or less) of water in a short time period. Would be a lot more useful than a high water alarm that goes off a few minutes after water starts gushing in.
I believe barnacle systems will tell you how often or long the bilge pump is running. Interviewed the founder https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/business-vancouver-island/id1460284640?i=1000630365466

Super comprehensive resource - I replaced factory thru hulls on my Grady using the Groco flange adapter - a lot of extra work, but its a better approach.
That method your referring to is the new standard on any new builds on the US because of the transport regulations. It has the best side load capability and the thread pitch is correct. All this time people have been tightening FPT ball valves onto straight thread thru hull fittings. Straight thread and pipe thread are the same thread pitch, but obviously pipe thread is tapered. Basically when you tighten down a female pipe fitting onto a straight thread it compresses the male fitting. That being said that method worked for a long time and will still work if installed correctly and not tightened down too tight. Over the years alot of boats ended up with issues with thru hulls from cracking or side load movement. The flange method is all correct on all aspects of mechanical.

There is new combo threads from Groco on basic thru hull fittings that are engineered for this reason, and they are great, I have some in the venture, however the flange method wins 100 percent across the board

Last edited:
Call mee crazee but I have a bilge water alarm on 24/7 when our boat is moored. Three bilge pumps are on separate switches. The lowest pump keeps the bilge dry. The other 2 are for disaster so their switches are a bit higher up. This also triggers the alarm. Redundancy is cheap insurance. 2 pumps will keep up with a 1-1/4" hose failure. Each pump is wired independently, as well. At the berth, shore power is connected to keep the power up.

Call mee crazee but I have a bilge water alarm on 24/7 when our boat is moored. Three bilge pumps are on separate switches. The lowest pump keeps the bilge dry. The other 2 are for disaster so their switches are a bit higher up. This also triggers the alarm. Redundancy is cheap insurance. 2 pumps will keep up with a 1-1/4" hose failure. Each pump is wired independently, as well. At the berth, shore power is connected to keep the power up.
A high water bilge alarm is a requirement on commercial vessels - cheap version is to install a float switch wired directly to the battery with a buzzer alarm that is loud enough you could hear it while running under power.

...also what make is that hull that sank? .. makes for a good argument for positive flotation on a hulk even if its above 20 feet in lenght..

No? Even with plastic washers in between? I know brass is a major no.. but stainless?
Nope. The absolute best way to put a thru hull in an aluminum boat is to weld in a pipe nipple that's basically long enough to be a stand pipe. So it goes up past the waterline. So aluminum pipe that's threaded on one end, welded on both side of the hull, and backing plate for side load. Even from there if you use s stainless ball valve it will corrode the threads eventually. Most guys just use marelon, they make valves also. Some guys put marelon valves on the stand pipes. Some guys put a hose over the stand pipe, using the pipe as a barb basically with hardwalled hose double clamped then into a bronze ball valve so it's decoupled. Even that system needs to come up past the water line to be legal. Things have changed in the transport regulations from 30 years ago.

Boat builders can't install things that won't pass a survey. Boat owners can do whatever they want, but if they want to be properly insured then they also need a proper survey. It all comes down to that really.

i've also installed a 97db back up truck alarm under the gunnel so those around the docks might hear something of interest also.....fyi. wired to my higher water float switch in stern.

Back