Tackle for theTyee Pool

John Ingram

I'm looking for info on tackle to use in the Tyee Pool.
What have been used successfully, sizes, colors and weights.

Ex. what size and color of Plugs,Spoons.

Also would like to know where I can find 6 oz. slip weights?? They seem to be harder to get.
Also can a drop weight be used if it is environmentally friendly and also has the right weight of 6 oz.

Thanks

John I.

One of our forum members named Dave has a tyee pool thread on here every year that he updates with the latest news from the pool. If you skim through there will be some good info on what kind of gear to use i would assume.

You could also message him and ask, he seems like a super nice guy.

I think his name is Dave_H on here.

Also would like to know where I can find 6 oz. slip weights?? They seem to be harder to get.
Also can a drop weight be used if it is environmentally friendly and also has the right weight of 6 oz.

Thanks

John I.
Hi John,

Impossible to know all the sizes, colors etc. used during a 90 year plus history, but the old standard Pearl Pink Lucky Louie plug still works fine.

The variety of plugs used these days is wide-spread with some anglers using Tomics, some using Lucky Louies, some using old and modified Rex Fields and any number of other plugs. Some also swear by the "shovel-nose" version while others use the more standard Chinook and/or standard sized plugs. Lots of old plugs have been re-painted too, as some colors seem more productive than others. Size-wise they seem to fall in the five inch to six inch range mostly.

As to spoons, most anglers use #8 Gibbs or a variation of same. Some use the old conventional type and some like the "improved" versions, with the taper in them.

As to weights, I don't know of anyone using 6 oz. slip weights in the Tyee Pool, as most plug pullers use 4 oz. and most spoon danglers use 2 oz.

I've always thought a 5 oz. slip weight would be handy at a few tide levels, but only 4's and 2's are normally used.

I've got a few 6 oz. slip weights but have never used any.
You're welcome to them if you'd like.
Contact me through the Tyee Clubhouse, once they get it finished.

Good luck and all the best.

Take care.

Hi John,

Impossible to know all the sizes, colors etc. used during a 90 year plus history, but the old standard Pearl Pink Lucky Louie plug still works fine.

The variety of plugs used these days is wide-spread with some anglers using Tomics, some using Lucky Louies, some using old and modified Rex Fields and any number of other plugs. Some also swear by the "shovel-nose" version while others use the more standard Chinook and/or standard sized plugs. Lots of old plugs have been re-painted too, as some colors seem more productive than others. Size-wise they seem to fall in the five inch to six inch range mostly.

As to spoons, most anglers use #8 Gibbs or a variation of same. Some use the old conventional type and some like the "improved" versions, with the taper in them.

As to weights, I don't know of anyone using 6 oz. slip weights in the Tyee Pool, as most plug pullers use 4 oz. and most spoon danglers use 2 oz.

I've always thought a 5 oz. slip weight would be handy at a few tide levels, but only 4's and 2's are normally used.

I've got a few 6 oz. slip weights but have never used any.
You're welcome to them if you'd like.
Contact me through the Tyee Clubhouse, once they get it finished.

Good luck and all the best.

Take care.
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the reply and the info regarding plugs,spoons and weights.
I'm trying to set up a smallish tackle box with specific things just for the Tyee Pool.
ttys

Thanks again

If some else is taking you out in there boat, they'd probably prefer you to use their gear, unless you have some vintage spoon or plug with a good tale behind it. Plus the rower knows their gear has met the rules. It would suck to be DQ'd on a big fish because some little detail was overlooked. Yeah, your the fisherman, but behind the scene's, you are just the respected rod holder.;)

Thanks

John I.
The first and MOST IMPORTANT piece of equipment is a row boat!!
No motor boats in Tyee Pool please

If some else is taking you out in there boat, they'd probably prefer you to use their gear, unless you have some vintage spoon or plug with a good tale behind it. Plus the rower knows their gear has met the rules. It would suck to be DQ'd on a big fish because some little detail was overlooked. Yeah, your the fisherman, but behind the scene's, you are just the respected rod holder.;)
Yes but isn't all tackle checked and tested before it goes into the tyee pool ??

Yes but isn't all tackle checked and tested before it goes into the tyee pool ??

Line strength is tested if requested by the Weighmaster after a fish is registered, but most have their line tested beforehand.

Rod length is easily checked.

Plugs and spoons aren't checked or tested beforehand so theoretically one could use a barbed hook and then pinch it discreetly after a fish is boated, but that seems very unlikely, given the respect for the traditions and rules most all rowers have.

Anyway, I'll take you out when you are here and show you how things work.

Take care.

Line strength is tested if requested by the Weighmaster after a fish is registered, but most have their line tested beforehand.

Rod length is easily checked.

Plugs and spoons aren't checked or tested beforehand so theoretically one could use a barbed hook and then pinch it discreetly after a fish is boated, but that seems very unlikely, given the respect for the traditions and rules most all rowers have.

Anyway, I'll take you out when you are here and show you how things work.

Take care.
Thanks Dave.
Looking forward to meeting you and getting a once in a lifetime spin around the pool.

P.S. Dave. I ask in my earlier post if drop weights are allowed ?? consisting of a release on the line that will drop
a small weighted bag.... Made of environmentally friendly material. Burlap and cotton

Thanks Dave.
Looking forward to meeting you and getting a once in a lifetime spin around the pool.

P.S. Dave. I ask in my earlier post if drop weights are allowed ?? consisting of a release on the line that will drop
a small weighted bag.... Made of environmentally friendly material. Burlap and cotton

I can't think of any of the regulars who use drop weights but when I have the chance I'll ask some of the old-timers about that.

I'm still a relative youngster ya know.

Take care.

I can't think of any of the regulars who use drop weights but when I have the chance I'll ask some of the old-timers about that.

Take care.
Never seen it, but I am MUCH YOUNGER than Dave ! It sounds like just one more thing to potentially go wrong.

CR Greg

Never seen it, but I am MUCH YOUNGER than Dave ! It sounds like just one more thing to potentially go wrong.

CR Greg
Thanks for the reply.. I never cared to much for the sliding sinkers. when they slide and
hit the knot it's one more thing to have to deal with when fighting a fish.

Take care.
This is a picture of the weight release I would like to use. Before there were planer boards and
down riggers this is all I ever used when trolling. I would make up several small burlap bags tied
with a loop of cotton string and use these as drop weights

Attachments

• Weight Release Clip.jpg
    Weight Release Clip.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 36
Dave H do you know of anyone in the club that would take out two experienced anglers but have yet to fish the tyee pool but have all the gear

Thanks

This is a picture of the weight release I would like to use. Before there were planer boards and
down riggers this is all I ever used when trolling. I would make up several small burlap bags tied
with a loop of cotton string and use these as drop weights
Harrison Tripper? old window/door sash weights worked the best for us in the early "70s" cut to different lengths less blow back! Best Regards

Harrison Tripper? old window/door sash weights worked the best for us in the early "70s" cut to different lengths less blow back! Best Regards
I have used old sash weights but the tyee pool only allows a weight of up to 6 oz.'s . That's why I was thinking of using the smaller drop
bag.

Back