Tackle boxes,Trays.help me get orginized?

Jencourt

Ok, so I am finally going to try to get organized. I thought it would be interesting to re-open a thread on this age old problem and maybe we can help each other out with anything from old ideas that still work best to new or original systems that work for you.

I am looking at all the,well, less expensive options,mostly in the form of clear low profile stack-able trays.
As I look at them I find my-self wondering witch model and size would fit stuff best.

My question to those of you who have gotten organized and have found a good system for storing(on the boat for easy use) everything in a way that it is accessible and neat.

What trays,boxes or bags, have you found best for swivels to plugs and everything in-between?
What system do you use for flashers?
How do you store your tied up lures and teasers vrs the ones that are not ready to go?
Do you tie up multiples of your favorites in different leader lengths? If so do you have them labeled some way to identify length easily?

I am interested in hearing and seeing (Post pics if ya got em) what you folks have found to work best for you.

Cheers: Ray

I use a Flambeau Classic Front Loader tackle box. I like it, it is one of the larger tackle boxes out there and holds everything I like to take with me (and I am definately a tackle-*****). It holds up to 4 different size tuff tainers that have Zerust dividers (that reduce rusting of hooks, lures, etc.), plus 2 smaller ones on the lid for things you need quick access to (i.e. nippers, hook sharpener, toothpicks, swivels, etc.). See weblink http://www.flambeauoutdoors.com/fis...&c=FRESH+AND+SALT+WATER&s=FRONTLOADERS&i=8010

I have numerous tuff tainers for different species that I load in my tackle box depending on the type of fishing I going to do. I keep my tackle/fishing tools, scents, scale, knives, leader line, flashers, etc. in the top compartment which is large and holds a lot of stuff.

In regards to my lures I keep:
- terminal tackle & lure rigging bits 'n pieces in a dedicated tuff tainer with lots of Zerust dividers
- hootchies & spoons unrigged (reduces tangles) & have pre-tied leaders that I pull through or tie on when used
- pre-tied leaders of differing lengths wrapped on a styrofoam leader boards all labelled for length
- teaser heads rigged and wrapped up onto 5"x2" plasticor boards labelled for length
- favourite/go-to lures I leave rigged up & with the leader wrapped up & stuck thru a 1/2" piece of drinking straw, or a twist-tie

Hope this helps.

I got the large size Plano Guide series tackle bag on sale in last spring from Canadian Tire. It comes with 4 3700 stowaway plastic trays. One for untied spoons, one for plugs, on for bucktails and hootchies(pretied, but in little candy bags), one for teaser heads, spare hooks, and swivels. One of the side zippered pouches get the pre-tied leaders for spoons and teasers and the other gets the pliers, and hook file. The top zippered pouch holds about 8 flashers. Compact and easy to carry. I have an old cooler built into the boat to hold tools, knives, extra cannon balls, spare clips, rags, safety gear etc...

I'll be getting 2 more bags like it for Halibut and jigging; and freshwater. Fly vest holds fly stuff.

My computer room/flytying/gear tying room is piled high with extra crap that I scrounge through before each trip. I'll pile some of in the truck to re-load on longer trips. I'm way past the point of having enough space on the boat to take every flasher, lure etc. accumulated.

One of these days I'll try to fish with a handful of stuff, kind of like golfing with 3 clubs though.

Thanks for adding in on this one. Any other ideas,products or "can't do without" gadgets or organizing ideas out there?

Ray, heres a tip to make organizing twice as easy. Get a container and take everything that didn't catch fish last year and do a purge.
You should be left with 1/2 your stuff. The more ***** in your box, the more you doubt your go to lures when you are not catching.
Then you are one of those guys that are spending more time changing gear than fishing.
Confidence in the gear you are running is key. It's better to try a new depth or a new location when it's slow than to mix up the gear.
When you have a flasher lure combo that is working, treat it like gold and keep it separate from the other *****.
Location, depth, speed, presentation and luck are 5 keys to success.
If you haven't had any action for a bit, don't change your gear, crack a beer, have a sandwich, light a smoke, tell a joke then get ready.

I have one separate small soft box with 4 trays and a front pocket. I keep only my sockeye and chum gear in that. The front pocket holds several flashers and there is a side pocket for line etc for tying more gear. That's not much help for other fishing, but during those seasons i have it all together in one small package.

I also have another two sided flat box that holds all my spoons and apex lures.

Another larger box holds just about everything else.

Could post pics later.

Back