Tackle and Gear Debris in the Ocean

Hey guys,

Thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone has though about this as well.

One thing I find myself constantly thinking about when fishing is the amount of gear we as fishermen end up losing and consequently "litter" the ocean with. Lots of times its largely unavoidable, but what definitely bugs me most when losing a cannonball, rig, fish, or combination of these things is not the cost, but the fact that I've contributed to the contamination of our amazing waters. Now trust me, I'm no great environmentalist, (based on all the motors I own alone, my carbon footprint can't be great) but I do the best I can whenever possible. Keep what I catch of any legal size fish until I'm at my limit, recycle everything, compost at home, the usual things.

I wonder how much of our gear deteriorates and how much remains. I mean, tons of crab and prawn traps are lost, and even when the bait subsides, I'm sure creatures still find their way in there. I can only imagine what the bottom looks like at Trap Shack and Constance. In fact, in heavily fished areas like Constance, I'm surprised we don't hook into more things when fishing there. Maybe it blows away or breaks down.

Bottom line is, (pun very much intended) we all like to fish, and things are gonna happen. I think as responsible fisherman, we owe it to this great environment to practice due diligence and inspect our gear regularly. If rigger line looks bad, replace it. Old knots? Re-tie 'em. Line wearing out? Replace it. I know money or laziness is a common excuse, but I like to think about this amazing privilege we have to be able to fish these waters, so I try my best to keep up on things to limit the chances of break-offs and lost gear. It's not about my wallet, its about responsibility.

Also, proper knowledge and technique. This means doing your research on things so you know what should work and what shouldn't. Knowing how much weight goes in your traps so they don't float off. The right sized buoy. Strength of line for your targeted species. Not only can we help our own bottom line in the long run, it's better for the fish and environment too.

Tight lines guys!

This winter fishing deep for springs, I had the good luck to snag some of this debris you're talking about, including downrigger cable with a 12lb ball attached, a landing net, and a stainless crab trap.

There are groups of divers that get together at certain times specifically to clean up areas. Kudos to them! Maybe there would be interest from diver's and fishermen to get together to clean up certain high traffic fishing areas. Angler's can offer their boats as a dive platform and take the diver's fishing for a few hours in return for the divers using a tank of air to collect debris. A bonus would be some of the usable gear that would be collected, maybe that could be auctioned off and the money go towards something fishy?

Last summer off of trap shack we picked up about 100' of someone's cut line with about a 10 oz jig. About an hour later hooked bottom ourselves and got the cannon ball off the ground but came up very slow.... Noticed some line around the cannon ball and pulled it, at the end was another 12 lb ball (looked fairly new) with Scotty release clip.

Oh ya we caught our fish that day too!

I think about this too when out there. I do my part to ensure I am not leaving gear in the water due to negligence, laziness, or not knowing better. With that said, there was a time when I was less experienced, when I would make mistakes and loose gear. I pay more attention to my depths, have a gps with good charts, better knot skills, proper weight and floats for traps, and all around more aware.

I also support divers by purchasing gear off them thats recovered from the reefs. And I pick up garbage floating in the ocean. Will take the boat off plane to pick up trash.

A buddy is a an ex diver and we were just talking about going out to that shallow spot off of the trap shack and seeing what is there. I know I have seen a lot of guys snag up there . It would be interesting to see how much is there and what kind of shape it is in.

Last year while fishing Lighthouse bank/Ukee i brought up 1 of my down-riggers to find a piece of mono wrapped around it. there was some weight there so I thought I would be a flasher and/or ??? richer. When I hand bombed it in there was an empty bear can attached. Really not a great way to unspool your reel. And no it wasn't Lucky.
h.e.h.

While diving, I have found a mass of stuff- everything from old spoons with 100's of feet of line to cannonballs and even an unopened bottle of gin covered with barnacles. There is lots of stuff down there that can be seen- and lots more that cannot. While going through the kelp beds, more than a few times, I have become entangled in fishing line. A few times, it caught my regulator and pulled it from my mouth. This is when you realize how important a good, sharp dive knife is.

All in all, last year I pulled up about 36 pounds of lead in various forms, probably 100 or more lures/spoons/buzz bombs and a few miles of line. I can't get it all, but I'll do what I can.

i know in robbers passage there is a bottom end with a nice stainless prop.. we gonna try and get it this season.

I will also do this!

One time I pulled a 5 gallon pail of hydralic oil out of the chuck with just an inch or 2 of air left at the top. Boy was I relieved when I pulled that out of the water! I spotted the pail floating in the tidelines coho fishing!

I think about this too when out there. I do my part to ensure I am not leaving gear in the water due to negligence, laziness, or not knowing better. With that said, there was a time when I was less experienced, when I would make mistakes and loose gear. I pay more attention to my depths, have a gps with good charts, better knot skills, proper weight and floats for traps, and all around more aware.

I also support divers by purchasing gear off them thats recovered from the reefs. And I pick up garbage floating in the ocean. Will take the boat off plane to pick up trash.

In the Whiskey Gulf area (navy testing spot) in the Strait, for every square meter of ocean floor, there's 4 meters of wire (firing wire). Most of this stuff just degrades or has sealife grow on it. But the nasty stuff is the plastics, especially the flexible plastics products. Plasticizers are what give them the flexibility, and if you look up phthalates, you'll learn about how they disrupt hormones and generally @#$# with our bodies.

Another contributor to plastic pollution (that I'm guilty of) is using poly rope. When it gets old, it loses very fine threads of plastic fibers that eventually work their way into sealife and us. Lots of articles on the net on this.

Thanks Sookes for starting this thread. Happy to hear there's so many responsible fishermen out here.

The ocean is bad but its incredible how much lead from bouncing betties, and line end up in the rivers. There is way more stuff to get caught up on...and every trip out usually results in a few snags at least...

I'm always scooping trash with my net. I was bottom bouncing Constance Bank and dragged up 275 ft of commercial prawner's rope. It was covered in some growth and shrimp and my buddy wanted to throw it back as it reeked and was crawling. I coiled it in a cooler and took it to a gas station power wash bay to clean it, then spliced in on my anchor line. Like camping, leave your site in better shape than when you arrive.

I also grab trash in my travels, and there are several small island beaches nearby, I keep clean , both at work and play... In Nanaimo and I beleive Victoria, the recycle depot on shenton road, takes white styrofoam. I have hauled large dock pieces up, as long as no metal and I scrape any growth off, they take.

them plastic water bottles.....there is no need to find dozens of them on beaches.

I agree with Nauti... I work on the water and do my best to leave as clean as possible

Got tangled up off secretary island today with somebody's downrigger cable with my downrigger. It was to much weight for the rigger to pull, my 18lbs ball a 12lbs ball on one end of the lost line and a bunch of kelp on the other end. Had to hand bomb it all in. What a pain in the a$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back