Tab-Trim question

Da Bay Bye

I have a 87 Yamaha 50 hp and the small tab-trim on the lower leg is corroded. What exactly does this piece do and is it necessary to replace it?

is that a sacrificial anode? depends on how much is corroded, but if its corroded its doing its job. I've always been told to replace them when they are half gone. cleaning them with a wire brush isn't necessary. Pitting and minor corrosion are normal wear.

is that a sacrificial anode? depends on how much is corroded, but if its corroded its doing its job. I've always been told to replace them when they are half gone. cleaning them with a wire brush isn't necessary. Pitting and minor corrosion are normal wear.
X2 but more importantly they are very necessary and should not be over-looked. Don't forget to check the ones in the engine head if so equipped!!

Thanks so much for the information. A lot to learn with boats and motors. I contacted CV Marine and they will have the part for Monday.

If it is of the type that looks like a fin projecting from underneath the cavitation plate.......it is not only a sacrificial anode but also doubles as a 'torque corrector'....that is it counteracts the sideways pull of the prop when steering.

When you take the old one off take care to note how the old is affixed by degrees. mark it with a pencil or scratch the line-up point with a screwdriver or knife and then when you put the new one on, line it up so it is exactly where the old one was.

if it is installed way off the mark you could end up with sidepull while running at speed.

They are easy enough to adjust for the side pull if you have already taken it off. Go to a lake where you can take your boat in shallow water and hop in you can make the adjustments in seconds. Run your boat at your optimum cruising speed and see how it feels. Try a few different adjustments to see how it affects your boat. Just because it is set somewhere when you got it doesn't mean that that's the ideal trim angle for it. A 26 year old motor I am sure it's had it's share of adjustments made to it.

The tab-trim on the lower unit is made out of Zinc and is a sacrificial metal. It keeps the effects of corrosion off your boat and outboard. I would recommend you replace it ASAP!

Henry Nguyen
Legend Boats

Back