Swimmer Tails

Slabby20

Watched and episode of "Best of Fishing the West" that originally aired in 1992. The guide was using a lure called a Swimmer Tail. Has anybody ever used these and if so with what success?

http://www.rosstackle.com/swimmer_tail.htm

Slabby

quote:Originally posted by Slabby20

Watched and episode of "Best of Fishing the West" that originally aired in 1992. The guide was using a lure called a Swimmer Tail. Has anybody ever used these and if so with what success?

http://www.rosstackle.com/swimmer_tail.htm

Slabby

They work. You have to fish 'em FAST... 2.7 knots.

It's a commercial lure. Just another lure in the box. Great for feeders.

I have used them with success on several salmon species. I have also found they work very well on the riggers fishing deep for lake trout.

TheBigGuy

quote:Originally posted by Slabby20
Do they have an action similar to an Apex?

More or less, what I do is replace the foil thingy attached to the leader/underbody with a glow hootchie needlefish size works even better.

The Swimmer Tail was developed by Mr. Ernie Ross. He runs the 42' troller "Royal Quest" which he fishes both commercially and sporting (hell of a FUN time if you can ever squeeze a date into his bloody busy schedule!). I've fished both commercial and sporting with The Man, and have to tell you, That lure DOES work!! Actually have a handfull in the box, and use them frequently. Have had days they have outfished bait!! They really shine on later coho (the 4 and 5 inch versions) as they knock those fish over very very fast.

Another sweet trick for the arsenal! Caught pretty well every species out there with them, and as a consequence, will always have a few on hand.

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks Nog.

I found some in a tackle store here and bought some of the 4" & 5" ones. The owner gave them the same kind of endorsement saying they work real well, especially for the Coho and feeders. He said for some reason they just never really caught on with the recreational fisherman and therefore not many people use them. He said they are missing out. I’m looking forward to giving them a try.

Slabby ><))))'>

Back