Swimbaits and Lingcod

That white setup caused a lot of death over the years. 2nd best was root beer colored power grub
A guide friend of mine just used a white Berkeley power grub on a tandem hook set up on a spreader bar for Halibut when we were up North.
we had no problem catching our limits in short order.

I like to let 'em hit bottom and rest for a sec, then a quick little jig like a fish breaking cover, then a longer jig like it's fleeing, then stop and let it drop back to the bottom. If you're not feeling bottom with it, then I get lots less hits.

I like to let 'em hit bottom and rest for a sec, then a quick little jig like a fish breaking cover, then a longer jig like it's fleeing, then stop and let it drop back to the bottom. If you're not feeling bottom with it, then I get lots less hits.
Funny that’s exactly how I fish lings. (Minus the “rest” on bottom when the current’s ripping) About 15-20 seconds between bottom drops.
And my go to swim bait is Gibbs power paddle 4oz Herring Aid Color. But I bought them all out of stock…. Lol.

I watched a video of a guy jigging a swim bait while he was free diving in California. Had it on a small rod. He entices a ling out of its hole and it follows the jig up while he’s shaking it. It takes a couple swipes but never fully commits until he free spools and drop the jig and it hammers
It. I’ll go see if I can find it in my history. Pretty cool vid.

I just got some of this glue for repairing swimbaits. It works like magic, heals them right up. CA glue makes a hard joint, but this stuff welds the plastic back together leaving it soft.

Attachments

• IMG_2676.jpg
    IMG_2676.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 62
So chronologic order, wife see swimbaits and cost, man use swimbaits, wife reacts, man spend more on swimbaits, all good.

Attachments

• IMG_0568.JPG
    IMG_0568.JPG
    594.9 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    305.5 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0504.JPG
    IMG_0504.JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0536.JPG
    IMG_0536.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0567.JPG
    IMG_0567.JPG
    582.6 KB · Views: 206
On this swim bait topic.......How do you folks fish them? I have heard so many great things about swim baits but I haven't been able to catch a damn thing on them. However, as soon as I switch back to a standard herring/needle fish imitation jig I'm right back on the fish. I've tried hanging a swim bait a few feet of bottom and letting the current work the tail, I've tried reeling it up quickly 10 or 15' at a time to entice a Ling but so far nothing has worked for me. I'm doing something wrong but can't figure it out.
Motor mooch them! Assuming you’ve got a fairly maneuverable boat I find it works very well. 8-10oz weight on a slider with a 5-6’ leader of heavy mono. If I’m working a 30’ deep reef I drop right on top, hit bottom, and in and out of gear covering a bit of ground. I try and keep the lines around 20-30 degree angle and let them do their thing. @Rain City can attest! Also known in the southern gulf islands as the Ling King.

Motor mooch them! Assuming you’ve got a fairly maneuverable boat I find it works very well. 8-10oz weight on a slider with a 5-6’ leader of heavy mono. If I’m working a 30’ deep reef I drop right on top, hit bottom, and in and out of gear covering a bit of ground. I try and keep the lines around 20-30 degree angle and let them do their thing. @Rain City can attest! Also known in the southern gulf islands as the Ling King.
Ah, that's BC wide bud. LOL

I have soaked many a curly tail grub and twin tail scampi on home poured lead head jigs over the years. Two things are pretty much a given, you are going to lose gear at some point if you are fishing the right habitat and some bodies are going to get trashed by these toothy leviathans. This year I tried some new swim baits made by Zman called diezel minnowz in the 7”variety. They are made with a compound they call elaztech and in my testing it does hold up much better than other available plastic baits. They are super stretchy and supple but absorb a lot of punishment. I have yet to have one ruined by fish. They also slide right on my same home made lead head jigs. I am not sure you will find a vendor up there for them but here is a link where I get them here in the states. Best of all, they catch lingcod like nobodies business!

We’ve had great luck trolling swim baits
straight off the rigger… abt 10 ft from the clip. Cover lots of ground in/around reefs and easily adjust depth/ speed. Bigger baits keep the little guys to a minimum. Gluck!

Back