Swiftsure Report

Cornfed

Does anyone have a Swiftsure report? How are the springs and butts out there?

Also, what is the staple for Swiftsure halibut? I have heard Pearl White B2 works best.

Last week I heard that the halibut are there but a little spotty and springs are there but are very very small. Should be coming on soon...actually I think Outfitters reported a quick halibut limit on their boat last weekend so that's a good sign.

Believe it or not,I have had outstanding results with a blue and white mudraker drift jigging.Dont forget the salmon belly on the hook though.

Fished Swif bank last Sat. on my friends boat, we had 5 hali to 60lbs. for 8hrs of fishing though. Friday, the day before, they were out there on the bank and got skunked, loosing a 50lber. at the boat,weahther was'nt great. Weekend Before they were out on the bank and brought home 12 hali 30-40lbs. Weekend before that, they got skunked!. Still spoty. Last weekend I saw a guide at the Renfrew dock that just came in from the bank he had one small chicken 15lb.? and about 8 springs but all were no more than 3 lbs. each! very small ! The weekend before they tried trolling for spirngs along the shore.. nothing doing yet...

Thanks for the reports. Was this on the east or west side of the closure? I will try my west side spots this next week and let you guys know how it goes. I will try B2 with scent and whole herring unless the doggies get bad. I plan on hitting the pinnacles along the west side of the closure.

hhhhmmmmmm was good for me yesterday out there with one of the guides who works up there!!!!!

Wolf

Hey guys is it worth going for salmon this time of year at swiftsure or is it too early?? Am going out there next weekend, chasing butts.(pending weather) but was wondering about springs too. Also any other ground fish out there??

East side of the closure, I don't think he was fishing near the Bank really, more like half way, near the rabbits ears some where. A few days they got skunked and then on a few days at the same spot it was constant action realesing any thing under 30lbs. Action was so intense, gear hits the bottom you did'nt have enough time to go take a ****!. Get lucky and hit your spot right.. When I was out there with them last Saturday we had two HUGE Yellow eye rock fish, one was pushing 14'lbs. Impressive rock fish we had to take some pictures of it.. As I mentioned earlier from what I saw spring fishing on the bank had very very small springs.. from a guide that I saw come in from the bank. Buddy at the camp was fishing the can boy out from the Bay, he had two springs, 10-12lbs. Did better for springs than the guides out at the bank for springs.

Wolf: What size of halibut and how many you guys get into? East or West side of the bank?

Sounds like it is all about location, location, location. Do you guys always stick to the east side of the closure because it is a closer run? What side of Swiftsure is traditionally good for springs?

Rabbit ears??? Are they hard to find on the GPS, and approx. how deep are you fishing out there. Also are bumps or holes better to fish the hali's in I have not got to fish them much but would like to have some success. and do people drift out there or anchor. I assume drift. All info appreciated

When it's on, just find some structure and work it. No one is going to give out their favorite spots, it is FAR to prone to overfishing there. Truth is, a good spot is good for about a week untill it's pounded dead, then the fleet moves on to the next spot. The early season anchor spots are even more precious, with a couple of the ones I know having seen enormous pressure. Just follow the contours untill you hit a bump on your sounder, run around it untill you find the top, and either drift off or anchor. You can sometimes do very well drifting, that's all we do when it's really on. Right now, anchor seems to provide the fish, but it's really tricky to do out there if you haven't done it a lot.

The closure triangle covers a large area of the bank leaving the greatest area of fishing grounds to the East side of the bank and is a vast area much larger than the fishing areas of the West side of the bank which is alot farther to travel to get to. Last Saturday we were anchored. Not far from us was another boat and they were drifting. We were talking with them at the camp latter that evening and they caught about the same as us anchored.. Drifting can be a little more work.. more travelling back and forth over your spot, every move you have to pull all your gear, burn more fuel. Anchoring your gear is always down working, and your not burning fuel. Drifting you cover more ground though. If you do anchore make sure you know what your doing, especially our there in the swells. Most just drift.

thanks for info I KNOW about individual spots lol I just was curious for approximate areas :) How far out does the fishing start for the hali's.. I heard about 12km is that the reef it self or just spots on the way

i was wondering is it worth trolling out on the bank for hali's nice and slow big white hootchie??

Report from Swiftsure: We got our halibut, but we had to work for them. It seems like the northeast corner is the place to be, but we caught them on the west side as well....mostly chickens (all in the 20s and one at 38#, also a lot relased under 15#). This last saturday, it seemed like the commercials set their lines everywhere I wanted to fish so it was spotty fishin. Caught them on everything from squid to mackeral to herring to white B2s all on spreader bars. Didn't try for springs but there was a whole lot of bait on the east side.

How did everybody else do that went out there?

Fished swiftsure last Thursday-Saturday and it was slower than normal. The long liners out there are going to town! We watched them pull their line one afternoon, and they seemed to be doing pretty well. Seemed like everywhere we wanted to fish, we would find a high flyer somewhere in the distance...... Anyone know where you can find the dates and times they have openings?

Back