suzuki df-140 alarms advice?

Arjento

Hi Guys,

Odd thing happened last night to me, warmed the motor up at the docks while I setup fishing gear (ten min or so), headed out in the no wake zone, after passing the break wall opened it up a bit (3000rpm) heading for about maybe 3 minutes and my alarms started going off, first it was beeps (can't recall the pattern), then the engine temp alarm light lit up and check engine light, motor didn't throttle down because I was below 3000rpm, anyhow switched to the kicker motor it was fine, big motor turned it off tilted it up to see what was going on I think there was a piece of seaweed but can't be certain. Anyhow that's cleared so I figured time to turn it on see if I'm still getting alarms, and I did this time the engine temp gone, but the check engine flashes was 3 followed by 2 flashes. Called up the service shop they say it's a map sensor (like I know what that is I'm not a mechanic) They say it's not catastrophic and I can turn the motor back on to get back in should be okay. After three hours of fishing on the kicker it was time to call it a night and head in, picked up gear turned on the big motor and no alarms no lights flashing at all, when I got into the dock I tied off and let it idle to see if it would overheat (10 min or so plus the 10 minutes prior motoring in) no alarms. Touched the pee hole water and it was warm not piping hot but warm. Any suggestions? I have an appointment to the service shop next week for peace of mind but just want to get as much ideas as possible before it goes in to compare.

Thanks for the advice in advance ARJ

What year is it? Older mid/late 2000's?... If so check this link eh!!! Probably the engine holder corrosion issue! Do not waste your money on a map sensor without checking into this first!!! Suzuki dealers will not recognize this as a problem, they will deny it. The code is probably being caused by an exhaust leak - leaking into cowling and being inducted back into the engine, causing that fault code.

Motor will eventually be really tough to start, or run. Especially when it gets worse...
http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/395845-suzuki-df140-engine-holder-corrosion-fix.html
http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/395845-suzuki-df140-engine-holder-corrosion-fix.html

Had a DF140 that we had to fix. The weld-it solution is a good alternative to changing the block. Works great.

If you picked up a bag or something that blocked the intakes, you would end up with a temporary overheat situation.
I would run it again before taking it to the shop.
JMHO

I had the same thing happen with my DF90 on Sunday. I got a temp alarm trolling around out of nowhere (real choppy seas) and cut the engine.
Couldn't see anything wrong, waited 5 minutes and started back up. ran for another couple hours with no issues. i think some kelp blocked an intake briefly

I think it's the kelp issue to be honest, my motor is relatively new 2013 with only 50 hours on it. I didn't see any corrosion issues, may have been just the over heat and the silicone protectant (volvo oil spray) heating up and gassing off to set the sensor off. I'll run it Saturday fishing see if it does it again was gonna go out again tonight but wife wants me home with the kids for dinner. I offered to take them all out but she didn't like that idea :p

don't worry about it. I had a df175 and it was the most sensitive outboard I have ever owned. The gauge package is ridiculous , giving you little or no info , trying to make you get to a dealer. if it happens more than 3 times look into it .record the number of beeps!!!

beemer

If you have a compatible sonar unit I suggest you invest in the engine management module. The SMIS adapters are about $100 and the cabling for the network is about the same. It gives you much more info that the idiot lights.

Back