Surge Brakes on Boat Trailers

Seafever

Think somebody here mentioned that surge brakes on boat trailers are illegal in Canada.....is this true?

If it is....how do you slow down the 28ft.Bayliner behind your truck
while going down a hill?

electric?

it's only illegal if you are a bc lic. vehicle or it's illegal in your home prov. or state AND your trailer is over a certain weight-I believe above 45 or 4800 lbs. Sounds to me like a 28ft Bayliner on a trailer if lic. in BC would be illegal with surge brakes and you should put on either electric, or some other form of hydraulic brakes such as electro/hydraulic or vacuum Hydraulic. If not a B.C. Lic. vehicle it goes by the law of your home state or prov. One thing to think on-many people get away with over width trailers without the permit and surge brakes on 6000LB and up trailers but if you get in an accident and it is investigated you may not be insured!!!

th_fishing2006026.jpg
"So many fish-So little Time"

All trailers and towing dollies (car dollies) must have brakes on all wheels when their GVW (trailer/dolly and load) exceeds 1,400 kg (3,086 pounds). Every trailer with brakes must have a breakaway device hooked to the trailer brake system.
Surge brakes must be used when towing a vehicle that has a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of up to and including 2,800 kg (6,173 pounds).
From 2,800 kilograms and up the towed vehicle brakes must be able to be applied by the driver of the tow vehicle.

You can convert the trailer to electric over hydraulic for about 2k. If you have a newer truck with an ITBC (integrated brake controller) make sure the trailer braking system you go with is adaptable with the built in factory ITBC.

One word of advice is to get it done at a shop that has done this work before. I got burned by the shop that did mine.

I converted to electro/hydraulic and I did it myself. Not too difficult. Very happy with the results. Got all the parts from Mike at road runner

th_fishing2006026.jpg
"So many fish-So little Time"

Back