Summer Runs

Hey guys,
My first time on the forum, love reading the postings. Can somebody draw me a map? ha ha!
How come the summers have a bad rep with some of you guys? I've never fished for steelhead that take a fly so readily... We should appreciate them as most rivers (ie the Cowichan) don't have any and you have to hit the winters on the head to hook them.

It has nothing too do with summer or winter fish in regards too hooking them it is all water temp.The summers are fishable in warmer temps thus making them more aggresive!!

The summer runs these guys are talking about (primarily in the stamp from my perception) have been in the river for months, and are not fresh from the ocean like their winter run cousins. The old stale fish, while taking flies and gear fairly readily, are beat up and old. Most anglers would prefer to leave them alone to spawn, same as old salmon.

Now, catch those same fish in June just after they've entered the river and its a different story!

Fresh run summer steelhead are hard to beat as a sport fish IMHO.

Good thing most of the other anglers on the Island are "steelheaded out" by June and have started to fish the salt chuck. :D

A little exploration is all you need for some world class fishing...

Don't even bother to ask where.;)

Gooey.

quote:Originally posted by vince gee

It has nothing too do with summer or winter fish in regards too hooking them it is all water temp.The summers are fishable in warmer temps thus making them more aggresive!!

How do you explain their willingness to take a fly at this time of year then? There are lots of winters in the river now, and the summers are still way more aggresive to the fly.
Cheers

'Wild' winters come very well to the fly as well...if not as good as summer fish, I feel temperature is the deciding factor. Hatchery fish are a pain in the posterior, probably because they have very little memory of feeding in the river as smolts. Wild fish are more reactionary to all presentations due to the competitive nature of the smolts in the nutrient poor riverine stage of their lives. The adult fish 'remember' their time as smolts and react similarly when they are in the river...my personal opinion.

Back