Summer Fishing out of Cowichan Bay Area

slader99

Hey All,

Just moved up from Victoria and will be fishing and prawning out of the Cowichan Bay area this summer. I've been pretty spoiled being so close to Sooke for the last 3 years. I am not familiar with this new area at all, I was hoping that some of the locals might be able to drop some names of spots that would be worth exploring.

Took a nice ride out to Maple Bay the other day, looked to be a couple people jigging in the narrows. I'd be really interested in some suggestions for spring trolling over the coming months. I know people are tight lipped about prawning locations but figured I'd ask about that too.

Tight lines,

Slader99

sansum narrows but not sure if its open in the summer? Other then that you hit wain rock or run over to sidney.

I believe Sansum narrows is open until August 1st for most fin fish. Not too much happening out there right now, not much feed around and it's basically hit or miss. The Cowichan Bay ramp isn't much good below 3ft for most boats so check your tide tables. Popular spots are Bold Bluff, Burial Island, Hueys Reef and Separation Point. Both trolling and jerk fishing are equally good when the fish are around. Good luck

A little bit of a run but Pender bluffs can be good for Pinks and the odd spring and coho

20lb spring lost at boat side today. Bold Bluffs, 130ft deep on a live image spoon, green flasher. Only salmon hit of the day. Two undersized lings, a cabazon and 3 rockfish. Not another fishing boat in sight.

nice, went to Porlier Pass but pretty rough for a 16 ft c dory. Fished for a hour then retreated to Tent. No luck anywhere, should have gone to the narrows allot closer for me and it looks like the odd spring around. Thanks for the post vanislehunter.

Out Sunday. Lots of small feeders, up to about 4 pounds. Released about 8 or 10. Only managed one keeper in the box about ten pounds. Too bad it closes on Thursday.

Dave

Back