Suggestions for a Yak Fishing Newb

VicImport

Hey Everyone, I just moved to the Westcoast last year. Living in Victoria, but willing to travel most days for a go day of fishing! I'm looking for anyone who wants to help show me the ropes. I'm not new to fishing (I'd say intermediate?), just new to fishing out here and new to kayak fishing. Been out a few times so far, but not much success.
Currently have an Ascend 10T, rigged with rails and holders, Garmin Echomap plus 65cv (thinking of down sizing to a striker) with 12v 8Ah battery. I also just bought a Newport 36lb thrust trolling motor for it. But I'm starting to think the yak is too small for this all.
The battery for the motor is likely to be too heavy for the yak. Anyone got suggestions? I've thought about LiFePO4 batteries, but most manufacturers recommend against using them with a trolling motor.
Also thought of using out riggers. But also considering selling the yak and getting something with a bit more ocean intent. Suggestions on how to deal with this? Also willing to take suggestions on brand and size of yaks to be looking at (though I know this will be a loaded question with potentially lots of opinions).

I’d go 13 ft for ocean fishing from a yak both for safety, tracking and enough boat to mount all your gear. I’m a Hobie guy but they are now very expensive. Old Town has a nice line of fishing kayaks you may want to look at. Gone Fishing in Duncan carries them. If you’re on Facebook, Vancouver island kayak anglers is a good page to join. As for fishing tips, pm for saltwater info.

I’d go 13 ft for ocean fishing from a yak both for safety, tracking and enough boat to mount all your gear. I’m a Hobie guy but they are now very expensive. Old Town has a nice line of fishing kayaks you may want to look at. Gone Fishing in Duncan carries them. If you’re on Facebook, Vancouver island kayak anglers is a good page to join. As for fishing tips, pm for saltwater info.
Awesome thanks man! Will definitely send you that pm.
Yeah I'm thinking the best thing is to upgrade the yak to start. I've enjoyed the ascend for the last year, even though I've literally caught nothing out here lol. But its efficiency isn't great, and while its stability is awesome, is not meant for the ocean or long paddles and max capacity is only 300lbs.

My riot mako was great. They sell the 12 and 14. Don’t consider the 10 as that was my first one. Got 9km out on the 12 foot with no hesitation. Three foot chop and it was still good. Attached the sonar and I was in business

My riot mako was great. They sell the 12 and 14. Don’t consider the 10 as that was my first one. Got 9km out on the 12 foot with no hesitation. Three foot chop and it was still good. Attached the sonar and I was in business
My only issue with the transom style of kayaks is that I don't always want to be peddling or using a motor. I'd like to be able to just go for a paddle in it too, so efficiency with stability is kinda what I'm after.
Ive been looking at the Old Town kayak lines. Particularly I'm thinking of a style like their Big Water line or their Salty. Leaning more towards the Big Water.

My only issue with the transom style of kayaks is that I don't always want to be peddling or using a motor. I'd like to be able to just go for a paddle in it too, so efficiency with stability is kinda what I'm after.
Ive been looking at the Old Town kayak lines. Particularly I'm thinking of a style like their Big Water line or their Salty. Leaning more towards the Big Water.
I used to paddle on the 12 foot mako with ease. You can rent different kayaks in courtenay and go from there once you try somethjng you like.

I'm currently using the Bigwater. Its a beast on the water for sure. If you would like to feel and maybe try one on the water. Message me and I can maybe get someone to bring you for a test drive.

I used to paddle on the 12 foot mako with ease. You can rent different kayaks in courtenay and go from there once you try somethjng you like.
Yeah the issue is just getting that far up the island with a decent amount of time. But definitely a good idea to try them out.

Back