Suffix 832

I often fill 4 mooching reels a year and use 2 of them May-June and the other 2 July-Aug. I use all 4 thru chum season and use the best of the 4 during the winter then respool. Often I have to respool a couple of my reel thru out the year but try not to as it cost $40 to respool with 30lb ultra green. I am just looking at other options that doesn't have me tossing so much line every year.

Except for backing...same as Sculpin..all my mooching reels(9) have 25lb maxima been using for ever and a day..I dont see why all the fuss to change to 50,80,100lb braid...it is called sportfishing after all...but to each his own

I agree 100% Spring Fever.. if you feel the need to run 60-80-100 lb braid for salmon you may as well change your boat name to "the meat winch" I don't see the point, halibut for sure but salmon??? I don't get it, I guess for guides that wanna just replace 200 feet of topshot every few days it's okay but I am a Maxima Ultragreen guy, respool every spring and it never lets me down 30lb mainline and 25 lb leader..lets keep the sport in sportfishing :)

Guys, you are only as strong as your weakest link, everyone running braid/suffix has some sort of top shot of mono/floro or minimum a leader in the 25lb-30lb range...65-100lb mainline does not change the strength of topshot or leader

I agree 100% Spring Fever.. if you feel the need to run 60-80-100 lb braid for salmon you may as well change your boat name to "the meat winch" I don't see the point, halibut for sure but salmon??? I don't get it, I guess for guides that wanna just replace 200 feet of topshot every few days it's okay but I am a Maxima Ultragreen guy, respool every spring and it never lets me down 30lb mainline and 25 lb leader..lets keep the sport in sportfishing :)

Sorry for the jab but when is using 25 lb test on fish smaller than 20 lbs sporting?? Lol. I've seen a 55 pounda winched in with 25 lb test. Was not very sporting. Doesn't mean it wasn't fun.

Using light test like 10-15 lbs can still land Chinook. But if the angler makes even a slight mistake the fish can break that line with a good headshake. But if the angler is skilled, uses light test, and uses the drag in accordance with that test...then I would say that is sporting.

Most mooching reels have a drag strength of 12-15lbs. They are sport fishing reels. Loading up with 25 lb might save a few lures but its hardly sporting when most of the fish aren't even 25 lbs.

Given that explanation I have yet to 'sport' fish a salmon. But I have meat fished plenty with my 30main 25leader set up Lol.

Edit: I do see the flaw and llimitations in using light test on the rigger because the tension of the release clip is high enough that a 10-15 lb leader would break on a good strike, or when releasing from the clip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since when is using 25 lb mono sportfishing?? Since I tie a single barbless hook to it that's when it becomes sportfishing.....you can go spool up 10 lb mono im not stopping ya, hell catch a 30 lb spring on it and I will call you the sportiest guy out there :p

You guys need to go fishin-cabin fever is getting to you!! This is fishing-"we ain't makin gun barrels here!!!"LOL

It's all good Spring Fever! we okay... just poking fun at each other.. no biggie :).... I may take it to heart a little when someone tells me I am not sportfishing when I am using barbless hooks and running by the book. :p

Using Peetz reels and having 2 warp made me look at braid about 10 years ago.
Started with 30# but had to use finicky specialty line releases for trolling. Not into finicky things!
Experimenting and reading made me try 80# braid, it is typically the same diameter of 30# mono and so works well in regular Scotty clips.
Also, the 80# braid will release with a simple wind or two of the reel, which smaller people like since popping the release with mono down at 100+ feet can be a challenge for them.
For about 5 years now, in order to make it easier for my kids and guests to know how far out to set the flasher before setting the line in the clip, I do an Albright to 25-40# mono of whatever length I want for that rod position, and instruct them to put the braid in the release just above where it joins the mono.
FYI the Albright is not really hard to learn, and is useful for other things such as tieing your downrigger braid to some 3mm braid (the knot then acts as a stopper - very cool).
We were in a Cabelas Bargain Cave in South Dakota or some other place a couple of years ago and I found an entire peg full of Suffix 832 in 80# for $10 per spool! Cleaned them out! I guess the prairie fisher has no use for 80# braid lol.

Lol I guess I overlooked the barbless hook factor. It adds to the sport abit....I guess...haha. I just like the taste of my own foot dontchyaknow! Lol. Sport on...

And you are 100% right SF....I need to go fishing!!!

If I be you... get any color other than green - since it does not reflect light the way mono does, I found green braid hard to see against green water.

I just posted as an example... I was looking at ghost or high vis. I read the ghost can't be seen by fish but is better then high vis. for the angler to see.

I like the lime green/high vis colour myself, the dark green is hard to see for the angler.

I use 832 on both fresh and saltwater reels. I would highly recommend it as I've had no issues so far.

Back