Suffix 832

Fish Assassin

Crew Member
Thinking about trying Suffix 832 but have some questions.....

300yrds per mooching reel?
Color?
50 Or 65lb?
Topshot of mono.... Yes or No?I see some guys go right to their flasher
Where to buy? Is it like buying PP online... Lots of fake stuff?
Glue and UV light?

Help me....... I am lost

832= good
It's round like mono vs some other brands being flat, this makes it smoother
50lbs should be good
You will need backing or at least mono.
Braid line slips on the spool
Wholesale sports sells it I think

I run 832 with a 40ft top shot of 30 lb maxima, allows some stretch and works well in the release clip

color is your call
300yrd of 80lb,with Dacron backing... reason being so heavy is to fill the reel and the larger diam for handling, I normally don't fish very deep so diameter isn't a concern
got mine from army and navy
no glue for me, just knots, Albright or nail works

Thinking about trying Suffix 832 but have some questions.....

300yrds per mooching reel?
Color?
50 Or 65lb?
Topshot of mono.... Yes or No?I see some guys go right to their flasher
Where to buy? Is it like buying PP online... Lots of fake stuff?
Glue and UV light?

Help me....... I am lost

I have a few posts out there on my experience with the 832. All good. The stuff reels on and off the reel like mono. Doesn't slip under itself like PP. No stretch, and sounds cool when a fish is ripping out line. So, I would use backing just so you dont have to buy 300 yards of 832. Not aware of any fake stuff, so any of the tackle shops in town will have it. Go with 50 pound test is my recommendation. I have been using the dark green. Tried direct to flasher....not good! It is so perfectly round that if you get a really big fish hit hard, it will bury the line into the scotty clip......"snap" and bye bye fishy. To remedy that, use 40 pound floro as a tag line between the flasher and say 50 feet or so to your 832. That way you have lots of floro to connect with the scotty clip.

Don't know anything about the knot glue, haven't tried that. Sounds like a good way to smooth out the knot going through the guides - not that it is a big deal. But I love to experiment, so will probably try it for fun.

Hope you have the same experience that I have with the 832 for past 3 seasons.

926.gif

Ok, glad someone started a new thread on this.

So, you have the flasher then 40- 50 mono or floro, then _____feet of 832? then mono for backing?

I was going to start this topic as suffix 832 for idiots LOL :) Glad I am not the one one confused.

I am understanding it backing, then 832 followed by mono to the flasher etc.

I am thinking backing, 150 yards of 832 then 50 feet of mono.... I just hate knots in my line......

I was good till someone added mono backing.

Here is an example:

Tyee QR reel would hold 1100-1200 yds of 30lb braid if that is all you put on it.
I used about 260-270 yds of 30lb mono to fill the spool 80% - then use an Albright knot to attach the braid of choice ( insert 'Suffix 832' so this is not a derail )
The 300 yds of braid fills the reel, and best, the diameter hardly changes so if you ever get a 'burner run' the spool dia is still close to full dia when you need to retrieve some line back in quickly.
The last bit of 30 to 60' of mono is so the release clip has something to grab and adds some shock absorbtion. The albright knot has worked very well for me and it only failed once, which I think was my error not a flaw in using the knot.
But no matter how careful you are with the wraps, it still adds a lump of braid. You can feel the lump pass thru the guides and once in awhile - it sticks on an eyelet.

The hollow braid piece is a way of eliminating the knot - the hollow braid grips the solid braid or the mono like a long chinese finger trap. You end up with a smooth connection and nothing to catch on the eyelets as it passes thru

Those who are trolling with this braid: do you notice less blow back(than mono)or drag on the line when trolling?

1 question i have for guys that use braid on a mooching reel...when u reel in your line and its not under pressure,like say checking your bait...how do u keep it from getting all loose on the spool....i know they use braid on the great lakes, but they use a level wind reel...havent seen braid on a mooching reel..tying mono is another weak spot the line can break.....cheers............

I run all mono and will continue running all mono on a single action reel. Carry on......

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found 1200 and 3500 yard spools online. Thinking about ordering the 3500yrd 65# and loading up the mooching reels and halibut rods.

Seems I can only find 150-300yrd spools in Canada.

I run all mono and will continue running all mono on a single action reel. Carry on......

Except for backing...same as Sculpin..all my mooching reels(9) have 25lb maxima been using for ever and a day..I dont see why all the fuss to change to 50,80,100lb braid...it is called sportfishing after all...but to each his own

One big advantage is for deep trolling off the west coast.
150lb braid on your riggers has less blowback.
30lb braid on your reels is so much thinner you need less preload AND you feel every head shake and roll - even at 200+ feet with just a feeder hooked up
So - I agree, it is about whatever makes you enjoy fishing

I agree 100% Spring Fever.. if you feel the need to run 60-80-100 lb braid for salmon you may as well change your boat name to "the meat winch" I don't see the point, halibut for sure but salmon??? I don't get it, I guess for guides that wanna just replace 200 feet of topshot every few days it's okay but I am a Maxima Ultragreen guy, respool every spring and it never lets me down 30lb mainline and 25 lb leader..lets keep the sport in sportfishing :)

I have noticed that many top guides still use mono and backing and check and replace it frequently. I am still a mono guy for salmon. I don’t guide and in terms of skill consider myself in the middle skill range and can still hold my own with single action reels but I am getting old so backing and full length mono stretch adds a safety factor for my increasingly slower reflexes and I am dreading the day when my younger fishing buddies may start suggesting a lever action reel and tell me to keep cranking. I have seen a lot of anglers who can blow the doors off me playing big fish on single actions, especially the younger guys with lots of fly fishing reel experience on big fish.

Braid is thinner at higher lb test and super strong when new and undamaged on higher end very top flexible rods with a good top shot of mono on the reel for stretch on rods that don’t have wear groves in the eyes to slowly wear or partially cut it. It can also cut or partially cut more easily on things like trim tabs than mono will nick or cut. It can also get very weak with wear and damage and it is more difficult to notice wear and damage compared to mono. Further it is far more expensive and usually of higher pound test so some assume, incorrectly, that it will last forever and not break even if degraded with use and be less inclined to swap it out. Braid knots also need to be retied frequently and good working easy spinning swivels are perhaps more important than with mono. I have noticed that braid fished for salmon will sometimes tend to develop a permanent twist especially if fished with a flasher.

I do keep one moderately stiff tipped rod with a reel loaded with braid with a very short Mono top shot to the flasher. Why do that? - Because if you are, or are out with reasonably good experienced single action reel fishermen who know how to read the fight and get on and off the reel palming and reeling position very quickly to minimize pulling the hook out of the salmons mouth, it can add to the fun and interest in playing small salmon.

The braid like steel does not stretch much if at all and tends to transfers and magnifies every twitch, head shake, change of direction, jump, roll and pull, making fighting small salmon seem like you are playing a larger salmon on a single action. Even then you will pull more hooks, but who cares. When you are out looking to catch large Chinook and all there are around all day is 3 to 7lbers of any salmon species, we sometimes throw down the somewhat stiff braid rod with the drag set low to up the fun factor and I also think it helps sharpen your skills on the single action reels.

Of course if you do luck into a 40lber on this setup, you better be fast adjusting the drag for more resistance and reading the fight and getting on and off the reel handles and palm position fast when it decides to run. In my opinion you will have some well justified increased bragging rights if you do manage to get that big Tyee in the net on a stiffer heavier tip rod with full or near full braid with a short mono top shot up to the reel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back