Stuck boat hook.

Time

One of the 'joints' on my boat hook is stuck in the extended position.
Garelick, if it matters.
Any ideas on how to loosen?
Tried to soak it in fresh water, wrapped wet rags around.
They say not to use penetrating oil on it.
TIA

61-zaKdPeEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Extends 3.5 feet to 8 feet.
2 twist and lock 'joints'.
Probably my own fault for not washing it down after last summer.
Could be salt or dirt gummed up one of the twist joints.

you are likely correct in believing it is a build up of salt etc in the joint itself. You might try salt way or even a solution of weak vinegar sprayed into the joint, only if the vinegar won't cause its own problems though.

I wrestled with one for a half season trying everything... heat, salt-away, fresh water rinse... then just threw it away when I realized how much time I had wasted. Bought a new one and now just budget for them going bad occasionally.

Very common and I agree is caused by salt and corrosion but also from the bending of those cheap aluminum tubes which some times is small enough not to be noticed. Those cheap plastic hook ends have also broken on me, but fortunately you can buy a a bronze hook replacement but it will cost more than the whole boat hook with the plastic hook if you got it on sale. My boat is big enough that there is room for several of them even when they are in the out position. I think of them as semi-disposible and buy new ones when they are on sale. We are hard on them and they get used for all sorts of things including when an overly aggressive turn in strong current while on the kicker cause the rigger cable to get caught over the prop on the leg of the main outboard. It takes a couple of strong guys to lift a 20 lb ball and lots of cable out and drag weight up over the prop. and off the leg and have bent boat hook poles doing that.

Last edited:
Use penetrating oil like they say not to use. What do you have to loose? If it stays stuck it is a problem unless you have boat space. Everything is worth a try before trashing it.

The best home made and cheapest penetrating/lube oil you will ever need and use is a 50/50 mix of synthetic automatic transmission oil and acetone. They don't want to combine together and will separate in a container so you have to shake it very well before using. And keep it in a sealed container cause the acetone will evaporate over time.
Beats any expensive stuff from the store and a little goes a very long way. If you have seized up tools like pliers/cutters etc try soaking some in this mixture... A+ stuff.

"I put that **** on everything!"

Do you store it in the extended position? I store mine in the stores position and haven't had any issues in the 3 years I since I've owned one.

Thanks guys.
I have another project for tomorrow. :(
My boat is 16 feet so need it to collapse or will replace it.
Will let you know how I make out.

All telicopic tubes have this problem from paintin poles to water hose brushes .Don't apply heat as the locking mecanizm will melt on the inside.just place the handle on the floor and in the unlock position if you can,give the hook part a good drift with a wood mallet or rubber hammer. then lube it with fluid film once free.or repace it at 27$.

if it has to be replaced take a look at aluminum extendable painting pole. They are bullet proof and reasonable at hardware stores. Just screw a hook on the end. It is the same thread

this is a brilliant idea. i would do better and get the professional fibreglass type with positive locks. plus you can use penetrating oil all you want on them as the aluminum extendable part is heavy grade, not that cheap butt type shown above. smart fellers on here i tells ya

this is a brilliant idea. i would do better and get the professional fibreglass type with positive locks. plus you can use penetrating oil all you want on them as the aluminum extendable part is heavy grade, not that cheap butt type shown above. smart fellers on here i tells ya
Plus a scrub brush head treads on the same end as the hook so it can be the boat hook / scrub brush

Did my best, water poured into the hole in the bottom of the handle, put it in the shower for 10 minutes (on low). squirted it with WD-40.
Only thing left is the pipe wrenches (tried with strap wrenches) which should destroy the boat hook.
And then out will come the hacksaw.
It deserves an autopsy.
Thanks for the advice.
I wish I had solved the mystery of stuck boat hooks, but no go.
I do like the idea of the painter's poles and will be looking at them.

Back