Stripe Shrimp life cycle...in Flemings Bay

Andrew P

I was down at Esquimalt Anglers boat launch with my boys in September poking around on the dock and was absolutely shocked when we looked under the dock. There were literally hundreds of coon stripe shimp all over the dock and pilings. I've never seen anything like it. Here are some pics. Ive had the odd coon stripe in saanich inlet and they are delicious. These ones on the dock were really good size...but I am skeptical about eating something out of Flemings Bay.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Well, we were down at the dock again this afternoon and there were no big ones left to be seen...instead the pilings are covered with hundreds of small ones. Tons. So, this leads me to beleive that the big ones had been there spawning. For reference the little tank is about 8" across and the tiny ones are less than a cm and the larger one in tank is only about 1.5".
image.jpg
Anyone know about the life cycle of these shrimp? Spawn shallow and then head deep?

They can be found pretty much everywhere in the Fall on our rocky shores. When I was a kid we'd catch buckets of them of James Island/Sidney wharfs with bike rim nets. As teen we'd make a party of going down to places like Cattle point, Gordon head at night and catching them as they came up in the shallows.
They are yummy but a lot of work. More of just a novelty to sit around a drink while having a shrimp shucking party.

Back