Strangest thing you have found in the stomach of a fish

Tips Up

After yesterdays find of a foam frog in the stomach of a hali, I thought I would start this thread.
Still wondering where the frog would have come from? Washed off the beach, washed out of a river, dropped overboard?

Have found many whole crabs and a few well polished rocks in hali. Once found full head to tail skeleton of a ling or hake that must have been 30 + inches long in a large hali.

Attachments

• foam frog from hali 2.jpg
    foam frog from hali 2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,304
  • foam frog from hali.jpg
    foam frog from hali.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 1,160
Last year Dad and I got a 22lb ling cod that had a barnacle the size of my clenched fist in it's stomach. I don't have tiny hands.

My dad when he was commercial fishing years ago caught a "food chain". They got a halibut with a 5 pound coho inside and in the coho was a 6 inch herring. All were fresh and easily recognizable.

It'll be fun to hear about what else people have found.

Back in the old country in the 60's and 70's before environmental regulations stemmed the bad practices, all passenger ships dumped their garbage over the side. Consequently there were many reports of large Atlantic and north sea cod with plastic cups inside them. Don't know if that still happens, although there are probably far fewer cod around over there to catch anyway these days.........

A 40 lb Halibut with an undigested onion in it's stomach. There were trollers nearby so i assume that's where it came from

When I used to fish black cod on the West Coast of the Charlottes, I would periodically find wine glasses with the name Sitmar Cruises on them in the bellies of black cod. 6 times in 20 years. Also, a bone from a T-Bone steak once. All from about 400 fathoms down.

light blue plastic tobacco container. players tobacco color I think. was inside a ling cod. some time ago. Campbell river, caught by local cod fisherman Joe Plamondon.

Off of Sooke caught a 7pound coho with a 5 inch open knife in the length of the stomach.the knife was still chrome. Guess it flipped off the boat and made a perfect buzz bomb.

Off of Sooke caught a 7pound coho with a 5 inch open knife in the length of the stomach.the knife was still chrome. Guess it flipped off the boat and made a perfect buzz bomb.

saw the story in tides magazine of a guide named gilles finding the same thing.

My brother found a pair of prescription glasses in a salmon that had fallen out of my grandfathers shirt pocket. When my grandfather passed my brother asked to have his glasses as a keep sake.

caught a spring salmon once and it had two smaller salmon in it s gut that were partly digested but freshly eaten as they
were still recognizable

We were fishing 400ft deep on North Island when caught a large snapper, it had a large hard object in its stomach, after cutting open found 3-4lb tinfoil wrapped chunk of roast beef. Also 8oz trolling sinker in a hali caught of the race, only lead as wire was disolved. Understand the sinker but the roast beef puzzles me.

HM

My brother found a pair of prescription glasses in a salmon that had fallen out of my grandfathers shirt pocket. When my grandfather passed my brother asked to have his glasses as a keep sake.

That sounds fishy FA lol. So Grampa dropped his glasses off the boat, a salmon ate them, and then your brother caught the fish with the glasses? If it's true, that's some lucky catch!

That sounds fishy FA lol. So Grampa dropped his glasses off the boat, a salmon ate them, and then your brother caught the fish with the glasses? If it's true, that's some lucky catch!

No no. The glasses where in a salmon that fell out of grampa's shirt pocket. Nobody said they were his glasses. I want to know how a salmon small enough to fit in a shirt pocket has room in his stomach for a pair of glasses :).

The glasses fell from my grandfathers pocket, they were swallowed by the salmon and the salmon was caught by my brother. Glasses were recovered at the cleaning table later that day from the stomach of the salmon...... Not Joking

Back