story

R

redfox13

on march 10 my friend and i packed our 14 foot alumunum so full of gear to last three days down the channel.ten minutes after lanching the boat,we got lost in the midle of the douglas channel due to fog,you could not see ten feet in front.lucky for the gps we managed to get to where we were heding.in the first day all we caught were a bunch of dunganess crab and one desent size snaper and a small ling cod.we kept setting the hoop traps in hopes to find some king crab but nothing. the day ended with us cooking up the cod and some crab for dinner talking about how we are only going to fish for king crab the next day.
we woke up and after eat a great brekfast and putting on all the nesesary gear to stay warm we headed out again. the weather was misurable all day espesualy since we where in an open boat. we set and pulled our hoop traps 50 times in diffrent areas all day long braving the elements in hopes to find the king. then in one majic moment the hoop came to the top and there were two king crabs in the trap :D we shouted with joy and went and colected all the other hoops and placed them in the same spot. waiting in anticipation to pull the four hoops was hard put then it happened the first got to the top with three more in it,the second six,the third 1 and the fourth 1.so happy we look in the regs and found out we could only keep four each so figuring out the smallest four to but back and throughing them back was hard but had to be done. later that night cooking dinner of stake and king crab we desided to head home the next day.
when we woke we woke to a buitiful sunny day and got blessed with calm seas the trip home.

if you now any good spots for kings or halabit fairly close in the douglas please give feed back and information thanks and good fishing
please reply and give advise and coments

I was up there last summer in June fishing,but we stayed out at Hartley bay.The hali fishing was great and managed quite a few springs the biggest being 25lbs. Allthe hali fishing we did was out at Campania island but I dont recommend the trip with anything under a 21ft boat with all the gadgets.Great trip though with easy limits of halibut,and plenty of dungeness in the Hartley area.Ive never seen those hoop traps before are they home made or store bought.

Back