storing smoked salmon

Tips Up

How do you store your smoked salmon and for how long?

I vacuum seal mine and freeze it and it is good for a long time.

Others that I know keep it in the fridge in a tupperware container.

Tips

Freeze it vacuumed sealed and get the temperture down to -20c. The guys at iceco told me that the fish oils stabilize or freeze at -20 c and the fish will keep for two years. The colder the better. My deepfreeze can go down to -25 or more, the freezer in your fridge is short term only.

You lost me there Bacatit. I only have a big chief smoker with a max capacity of 30lbs., dressed in chunks. If I'm going to go through the process of prepping, brining, smoking, drying etc. I will try to have at least a 25 plus lbs. of salmon in the round, or a gaggle of other fish products before I even plug it in the wall. I feel anyone would prefer fresh salmon etc. to prepare for the smoker, but it seems I tend to freeze and glaze most of my salmon to be smoked when I have caught enough to warrant the process. I've then vaccumed sealed in small packs, with no loss of flavour or texture that I can percieve. My point is smokem when you gottem:D, but you might as well fill the smoker while your at it. eman

I guess I should be a bit more specific.

I vacuum seal all of my fresh fish as soon as possible and it keeps well for a long time. (I'm not sure how long as I fish regularly and have no need to stock pile)
For those of you that do the same try laying the pieces on a cookie sheet and putting this in the freezer for a few hours before vacuum sealing. This helps to keep the moisture in the fish and from getting sucked into your sealer.

My question is in regards to "smoked salmon"
I treat it the same as uncooked salmon but I am wondering if this is over kill?
It is brined and smoked therefor cured. Does it need to be frozen?
If not how long will it last in the fridge in a tupperware or zip lock?

Thanks

Tips

There are too many variables to give a definative answer to your question, for example. freshness, how dry, how much salt etc. You talking jerky here or a moist hot smoke? I have left smoked salmon in the fridge four 2 weeks or so, but have noticed a fishy kind of taste after that period of time. That's not again precice, just an observation of my particular product. I would recommend Jack Whelan's, Smoking Salmon & Trout as a good referance source. eman

quote:Originally posted by eaglemaniac

You lost me there Bacatit.

I have a Little Chief...barely fits one good sized salmon. I prefer to eat freshly smoked salmon to smoked salmon that has been frozen. I can't tell the difference between salmon smoked fresh, or salmon smoked after being frozen. A vacuum sealer is on my wish list for this year, so maybe that'll change my opinion.
This is not meant as advice...simply saying how I</u> prefer it :).
Sorry to Tips if this is off topic.

You can also smoke your fish and then can it. It will last a long time then. The canning process also seems to take a bit of the oil out of the fish. We like ours a bit dry any ways.

Thanks for the replies.
I will keep a weeks worth in the fridge and continue to freeze the rest.

Tubilah...
I have done the same. It is convenient that there is no need to thaw.
Cans (or jars as I used) make great gifts also.
It does cook the fish a bit more though and it is one more step.

Thanks
Tips

Ihave a Bradley smoker, that I really like and use. Does a great job for absent-minded people like me. Load the pucks and let er rip. I found these vacuum bags called vacstrip bags for the vacuum sealer. Anyone heard of them? You can buy them by the hundred. They have a small strip down the middle of one side that has intermittent welds. These allow air to be pulled from the other side of the fish and from all over.

When I pull my boat over to the coast and go after Salmon or halibut, we have a lot of fish to vacuum pack. Especailly when I have family from out of town fly in to go on the boat. We used to take a week or two to go out on vacation. What a blast. Using the Foodsaver rolls of bags are a real pain if you have to do many bags. Just the cutting and sealing one end takes a while with a lot of bags. I think the boxes of a hundred are even cheaper when you can get a deal. Here is a link to what they look like.
I think I bought them for $30.00 per hundred, US. I did some smoked fish and the bags were really clear and made them look really appetizing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-VacUpack-Va...4268587QQihZ007QQcategoryZ11703QQcmdZViewItem

Tips Up,

When I finally get around to smoking salmon I'll do at least 2 large loads. After the smoking is done, I vacuum pack it and just put it in the frig. I don't ever freeze it. I've never had a problem with any of going bad or not tasting as good as the first fish we eat. I've had vacuumed packed smoked fish in the frig for 9-10 months, no problem.

&gt;&lt;))))'&gt; Slabby

Back