Storing Gas

Klob

Like to hear different opinions, if there are any. Do you fill up your tanks and stabilize over the winter or drain and leave the cap open. I have been filling, but have read a lot on gas shelf life stabilized or not. Octane breaks down rapidly and as far as I know, stabilizer does not prevent this. One nice thing about filling is you can save some coin in the spring after prices go up over the winter.

If you're boat sits idle over the winter i would think twice about leaving it full of fuel.
as you say,. gas breaks down even with stabilizer.
Also wouldn't leave your cap open, too much chance of water/dirt invasion.
just my .25c

Fill it up, add stabilizer and use it within a year. Don't forget to run the stabilized fuel through your motor before winterizing it for the season.

Edit: never leave the cap open.

Leave it 1/2 full. In the spring pour in a little methyl hydrate to evaporate any condensation then fill it up before you fire it up and you will have 1/2 new gas in the mix.
Mid grade of course.
Duffer?

I've been storing mine every winter Brian after the Chum Derby late Oct and I do what Bruce said above. Its the same thing my Mechanic told me. Works great, no moisture issues. I add a good stabilizer to the half tank and fill it up with new gas before running it in the Spring. I also Fog all Cylinders and change the leg oil before putting it away. Also run antifreeze into the fresh water tank and run it through your sink your fresh water washdown and your Head. I'm thinking about leaving it out this winter kinda a miss it some days. How do you like the new bateau so far?

Oh yeh I definately leave my gas cap on tight but I leave everything else open a crack to keep any mildew from happening. Cuddy, gas vent on the deck a crack, battery compartments and storage spaces.

Full tank with stabilizer and fire up both the main and kicker every 2 weeks to keep oil on the steel cylinder liners and keep a coating on the bearings.

I've been storing mine every winter Brian after the Chum Derby late Oct and I do what Bruce said above. Its the same thing my Mechanic told me. Works great, no moisture issues. I add a good stabilizer to the half tank and fill it up with new gas before running it in the Spring. I also Fog all Cylinders and change the leg oil before putting it away. Also run antifreeze into the fresh water tank and run it through your sink your fresh water washdown and your Head. I'm thinking about leaving it out this winter kinda a miss it some days. How do you like the new bateau so far?

Some thing I have been doing for years works great, never had any problems.

Full tank with stabilizer has always worked for us. Limits condensation issues and gas stays good for a year anyways

Full tank with stabilizer and fire up both the main and kicker every 2 weeks to keep oil on the steel cylinder liners and keep a coating on the bearings.

X2, Exactly as I do.
Dave

Back