Storing Boat for winter

staying alive

Hate to admit it but I think its time to store the boat for winter ------------- Had a big issue last year with my new boat with ethanol fuel and water getting into tank --- apparently ethanol fuel absorbs 50 times as much water through the tank as non-ethanol fuel ------------ cost a lot of $$$$ to fix that one--- also stored ethanol fuel suffers from phase seperation after 90 days or so --ethanol seperates from gas absorbs water through condensation --i guess --then you have a layer of water --then gas then ethanol. So do I leave tanks dry or what---- am thinking of filling up both tanks with chevron premium (big$$$) but with no ethanol in it .
Then just put the regular fuel stabilizer in it. What are you doing??????

I'm using my boat and burning fuel all winter. We live on the West Coast of Beautiful British Columbia. Get out there.

I'm using my boat and burning fuel all winter. We live on the West Coast of Beautiful British Columbia. Get out there.
best advice right there- just use it

I have a center console with no cover. I'll be out there. I have lots of warm, waterproof clothing. I'm actually really looking forward to spending some cold, rainy days out on the water. I absolutley love it out there and would never consider wintering my boat. I work for an oil company, and don't even put ethanol in my car or truck. 94 octane goes in both vehicles and my boat.

If you must use ethanol fuel during winterizing, I would think that you would want to fill the tank right up to the top and add stabilizer. If the tank is full, you shouldn't get so much condensation happening.

Don't buy ethanol fuel ever! Where ever you buy fuel just ask. If they don't know go where they do. Drain the system with stabilizer in it. Drain the fuel out of your engine. Either drain your tanks or fill them. Use methyl hydrate to get water out of system and/or use fuel/water separator.
The guys have the best idea and that is to go for a run once in awhile. Winter fishing as far as temps go is not that much different from 'summer'. Water temp is only a couple of deg off.
You can always tell the B&C you are going out for crab or prawns. She'll love that. gl

Back