Fishery closures proposed to save West Coast orcas!

Whole in the water,

There is no community projects that can be undertaken to change a herring roe fishery's damage. If you want to create more herring for the commercials to catch, go ahead. There won't be any more for the whales.

Profisher, I was not aware of the migration to Oregon / Washington, but I expect that their low resident salmon numbers are for the same reason as our low resident salmon numbers. However, the reality of resident salmon not being present in the spring and summer months, as well as the late winter months, is all for the same reason, no herring.

We can enhance survival numbers by putting fish spawn through the hatchery and resulting in smolts being released in 20 times the egg hatch success in the wild, but who cares if the fish just go to Alaska? Then, the Alaskan fishers have their way with them anyway.

Lets start by rebuilding the biomass these fish need when the exit the rivers as smolts, and maybe more will stay resident for the whales to feed on.

Drewski

I'm sure that is not the only reason for changes in the local stocks remaining resident. Changing temperatures and salinity/pH in the waters in the strait might be another reason. Obviously far less herring stocks is a huge factor, but I don't think it is the only one.

I'm sure that is not the only reason for changes in the local stocks remaining resident. Changing temperatures and salinity/pH in the waters in the strait might be another reason. Obviously far less herring stocks is a huge factor, but I don't think it is the only one.
Might not be the only one, but I suspect that it is the dominant one. There is another consideration here. Commie quota of herring for 2016 was 30,000 tons for Straight of Georgia, and yet they were only able to catch 17,000 ton and this is the 3rd year in a row where they were unable to catch quota. With as powerful a killing machine as we have in the local herring fleet, why are they unable to get to quota? Have they essentially fished the Straight dry?

Might not be the only one, but I suspect that it is the dominant one. There is another consideration here. Commie quota of herring for 2016 was 30,000 tons for Straight of Georgia, and yet they were only able to catch 17,000 ton and this is the 3rd year in a row where they were unable to catch quota. With as powerful a killing machine as we have in the local herring fleet, why are they unable to get to quota? Have they essentially fished the Straight dry?

No arguement there.

Whole in the water,

There is no community projects that can be undertaken to change a herring roe fishery's damage. If you want to create more herring for the commercials to catch, go ahead. There won't be any more for the whales.

Profisher, I was not aware of the migration to Oregon / Washington, but I expect that their low resident salmon numbers are for the same reason as our low resident salmon numbers. However, the reality of resident salmon not being present in the spring and summer months, as well as the late winter months, is all for the same reason, no herring.

We can enhance survival numbers by putting fish spawn through the hatchery and resulting in smolts being released in 20 times the egg hatch success in the wild, but who cares if the fish just go to Alaska? Then, the Alaskan fishers have their way with them anyway.

Lets start by rebuilding the biomass these fish need when the exit the rivers as smolts, and maybe more will stay resident for the whales to feed on.

Drewski

Like I said before, you make strong and valid points so go ahead and do something about it!

Many people would strongly support something like this.

This will surely be more rewarding and beneficial to our fisheries then sitting back and critiquing other peoples efforts to make improvements.

Last edited:
Whole in the Water or Profisher, July 12th is a Wednesday, not a Tuesday as you indicated. Can you clarify if the meeting is on Tuesday July 11th or Wednesday July 12th. Thanks.

Whole in the Water or Profisher, July 12th is a Wednesday, not a Tuesday as you indicated. Can you clarify if the meeting is on Tuesday July 11th or Wednesday July 12th. Thanks.
You are a year too late. The original posts was from 2016.

Back