Stolen Yahamha 9.9hp Outboard - Campbell River

Sushihunter

Just got a letter from Altech Diesel in Campbell River, BC

Someone broke into their outdoor compound and stole the Yamaha 9.9hp kicker motor off the back of my boat sometime between February 1 and 7th.

If anyone has info, please contact me or the Campbell River RCMP

I will post photos & Serial numbers shortly after I have a chance to look them up.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Stolen Yamaha 9.9 hp

Stolen%20Yamaha%20-%203%20-%20Serial%20Number.jpg

Stolen%20Yamaha%20-%201%20-%20Damage.jpg

Stolen%20Yamaha%20-%202%20.jpg

If you have any info about this motor, please contact the Campbell River RCMP Detachment
RCMP File # CR-2010-1489

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

Meant also to add that I will keep an eye out for your motor. Good shot of the leg. Hard to miss spotting it. Live in Campbell River so will keep a lookout at the boat ramps. .........BB

quote:Originally posted by Barnacle Bill

Meant also to add that I will keep an eye out for your motor. Good shot of the leg. Hard to miss spotting it. Live in Campbell River so will keep a lookout at the boat ramps. .........BB

Thanks Bill.

I've emailed the photos to every boat sales & service place I can find addresses for on the North Island, as well as tackle shops, etc.

The motor was not running well last time I used it, and no doubt that whoever has it will have to have it serviced to get it running unless he can do it himself.

As far as Altech Diesel goes - this is the last straw. The ONLY reason the boat was there is because they have refused to release it to me until I pay them over $10,000 for them to replace the motor they f#cked up after filling it with winterizing fluid when they winterized it last year. I have not named them publicly until now as I was hoping they would man up and cover it. They finally sent me a bill (after nearly a year) when they advised me of the outboard theft.

If I have to build a web page to shame them into it, then that may be the next step on the way to court... :( :( :(

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter
The ONLY reason the boat was there is because they have refused to release it to me until I pay them over $10,000 for them to replace the motor they f#cked up after filling it with winterizing fluid when they winterized it last year.

Thought that was in fact illegal. They could put in place a mechanic's lien but cannot hold your goods.
Should've called the cops on them.

JUST FISHEN'

I don't know the full story, but I have always subscribed to the pay your bills and sue later school of thought. Nothing worse for your court case than being dragged in as the defendant as opposed to going in as the plaintiff. Defendants almost always lose at trial has been my experience. Take the high road, drop the writ and you will have a better chance than dodging a mechanics lien. You have 2 years from the date of loss to drop your writ or you are SOL. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I hope your insurer doesn't read the web site and see your comments on how the kicker was running[:0]

Searun

th_067.jpg

Well...

Pat is probably right. Fairly conservative, but likely right.

But I think you should burn the place to the ground. I hate being fked over...

Gimee the gaff!!!

quote:Originally posted by searun

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I hope your insurer doesn't read the web site and see your comments on how the kicker was running[:0]

Searun

th_067.jpg

Shouldn't be a problem - it was a tune-up issue. Carburator setting or something. Mechanically it was sound.

I can see I've opened up a can of worms here by mentioning Altech.

The short version of a very long story:

After taking the leg off the boat August 22, 2008, I had the boat hauled to Altech. They had treated me well in the past, and I was rewarding them for that service. Plus I thought they would do a good job.

Anyway, they replaced the leg (Volvo Duo-Prop), one trim tab, starter motor. As well, the exhaust manifolds and oil pan needed to be changed. The oilpan, exhaust manifolds & risers cost me an additional $2800 cash. The insurance company got billed for about $18,000. With all this, I couldn't even dodge the $500 deductible - Altech wanted every penny.

As the season was over, there was now snow on the road to Tahsis, I figured that it would be better to bring it out in the spring. Altech winterised the motor. They filled it with a plumber's antifreeze. In doing so, they somehow managed to fill the all the cylinders with the stuff - and there it sat until May when we tried to get it started prior to bringing it out to Tahsis. Even had Chuck there with the trailer waiting for them to start the motor. After spending all day 'working' on it - they informed me that the motor was siezed. It ran well, and strong when I delivered it to them - as they themselves proved by sea trials before the winter layup.

Without a signed work order, Altech replaced the motor with a long block and got it running again. Until yesterday, they never sent me a bill or did they give one to my lawyer or to my insurance company.

There seems to be lots of pork in the invoice they sent, along with a letter saying that the kicker motor was stolen last week, and that they were not responsible for any thefts.

Today, I sent the photos to every boat service place I could find email addresses for between Campbell River and Nanaimo and Port Alberni in the hopes that someone will see it some day. Also listed it on Craigslist Comox Valley, boats section.

I informed the insurance adjuster by email today. Have not yet heard anything from the RCMP.

So far, we've racked up nearly $1000 with a lawyer, and Altech seems to think if they ignore it long enough it will go away. It won't.

Not to mention that I lost the income from last season because they would not release the boat.

When this goes to court, I will be asking for last years wages on top of the boat, motor and now the damn kicker. Perhaps if I leave it with them long enough they will be buying me a brand new Grady White! ;)

If anyone has had dealings with Altech in the past, I would love to hear about it. Privately if you like.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

I hear ya...but be careful not to approach this from the emotional response. I think it is best to weigh your case and take the course of action that results in your best outcome. As I noted before, I think it is best to go into court as a plaintiff as opposed to being a defendant. I would recommend paying the bill, get the boat out of there and drop your writ. This will enhance your case as a judge will see you as taking the high road as opposed to something else. Besides, there is nothing worse in this industry than becoming known for not paying your bills - no one needs that rap.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Sushihunter, now that you opened the can of worms. I had a very bad experience with Altech and can tell you they are a bunch of lying, cheating shysters. The crank broke on the Volvo Penta 5.7L in my Sea Sport at 400 hours. The warranty had just passed in time but only had the 400 hrs.

It was right in the middle of my guiding season so I was pushed for time to get it fixed ASAP. The crank broke in the front of the engine after the first journal. The first thing the owner and head mechanic told me was the crank broke because I had been tightening the alternator belt too tight. After I thought about what they said for a minute I asked them what turnip truck they thought I fell off of? I said let me get this straight because I’m confused. This is the original alternator with the ½ inch shaft it came with that the belt tightens on to. And that by tightening the belt too tight it broke the 4 inch shaft on the crank, which happens to be the most solid part of the engine. After I called them on that line of shyte, I told them I wanted to see the crank as they pulled it out. When I looked at the crank you could see more than half the metal where it broke was flawed. In the casting process a big chunk of sand got caught up in the pour. When I told them that’s why it broke they hung their heads.

Volvo said they needed the crank sent to them so they could inspect it in order to cover the warranty. After a week I called to find out what was happening and those dicks told me the crank got lost in shipping. Without the crank Volvo would not cover the warranty so I got screwed royally by Altech.
The only good thing was after I was done with them Volvo pulled their dealership.

Sushihunter I would keep good notes and watch those dirt bags very close.

I deal with Reg at Advanced Marine and they are great.

Having had to go to court on more than one occasion to recover non payment.
Do not pay the bill.
Go to court there will be a small meeting before hand to see if the issue can be worked out.
HAVE EVERY BIT OF INFO WITH YOU AND I MEAN EVERTHING EVEN IF YOU DON'T THINK ITS IMPORTANT.
I had one person claim they were unable to move into their house because of a "problem"
I produced a work order from the cable company showing that they had been living in the house for 6 months.
The judges see this stuff every day, believe me they get right to the bottom of the problem. "Quickly"
If you are right, you more than lkely will win.
If you are partially right you will get a partial settlement.
If you are wrong you will pay.
Use the system thats what its there for.
Dan

bump

With everyone getting ready for the season, I'm hoping that someone might see my outboard show up for a tune-up or for sale somewhere.

If you come across it, please contact me directly or the RCMP in Campbell River, BC.

Thanks,

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

I live in Campbell as well, my neighbor is a cop and he say's there's
been a rash of kickers being stolen. I've thought about tack welding the threads on mine to make it tougher to steel. [|)]And I also will keep my eye open for your kicker.

Back