Stinky .

Birdsnest

I have had my weldcraft for 6 years now and while I try to avoid getting fish blood and fuel in the bilge occasionally it does happen. While there has alway been a dank smell from this (diesel for the espar and fish slime) it has most recently become pretty nasty. Its not a fishy smell at all but more of a mildew dank dark smell. I cant get in there to clean it so does anyone have any suggestions to make this better?

Any input appreciated.

This is why self bailing deck are so deluxe.

Bleach and water, plug the bilge and let in sit for an hour.
drain and hose out

Was gonna say the same thing. It may smell like bleach for a few days but won't last long. Most importantly it will get rid of mildew or any other funky smelling shat down there. It sounds strange but in the mix I would add a pile of OxyClean, that stuff works on everything; not scented but does a killer job of cleaning. I have used it, bleach and water for many different cleaning jobs.

If you can with the concoction down there I would take a run in the boat for some agitation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was just in one of my cupboards and thought I should mention that "30 Seconds" stuff that you see on TV.

That stuff actually DOES work like you see on TV. In saying that, I would definitely let it do it's thing for an hour and get it done thoroughly.

Be careful if you start mixing bleach with other chemicals. You might create something dangerous, i.e mustard gas.

Don't get any bleach anywhere near your fishing gear, - fish do not like the smell of bleach, -it's like they are allergic to it.

Better idea is to find a good bio-degradeable bilge cleaner. I am sure there has to be something out there that is safer than bleach or oxy-clean.
Every little bit adds up.

Thanks for all the input. I like oxyclean a lot as well but since it smelt so bad I opted for an environmentally holding tank treatment which contains enzymes which will break down organic mater. I put a lot of water in the bilge and added the treatment. The smell was instantly undetectable which suggests to me that I am getting it on the areas that need it. I disabled the auto bilge and will leave it in there for a few days or more to agitate. Will update on progress.

NEVER use bleach. Its corrosive it will corrode alluminum esecially if you have lap joints but even it is welded never ever use bleach thats bad advice the hand on the bottle speaks for itself. Bilge clean captain phab. Dump it in add water go for a ride pump it out. Biodegradable to boot.

Well I do love the smell of bleach but I think that this would not work in this case due to the greasy nature of the diesel contamination. The holding tank treatment seemed to have an effect and in the beginning it took care of the smell right away but after over night the odour changed to something more like a holding tank, ewe. It did not smell well but I suspect the the enzymes had been working due to the change in odour. After a couple of days the bilge look cleaner and the mildew smell was gone.

I can only conclude that the enzyme in these products really do work.

Thanks for everyones input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back