Still the waste continues............

Changed the link-- go 3/4s of the page down to Another 99 metric tons of halibut caught by trawlers

Thats just disgusting!! Just another corporation raping the enviroment for profit. Wonder what its like off the BC coast??

Not surprising. I think everyone can agree Trawlers have ZERO place in the ocean these days. Funny(not really) how thier by-catch in 2 weeks is 40% of the total allocation of the TAC to BC rec anglers.

Not surprising. I think everyone can agree Trawlers have ZERO place in the ocean these days. Funny(not really) how thier by-catch in 2 weeks is 40% of the total allocation of the TAC to BC rec anglers.

umm wow, horrible:(

umm wow, horrible:(

Whats really horrible is this

http://www.iphc.int/publications/ra...tchlimitsinthe2011Alaskagroundfishfishery.pdf

This is straight from the IPHC. THe total Trawl and fixed gear(mostly longliners) by catch for halibut in Alasaka was 7.4 million pounds. More then the Total Canadain TAC for all sectors.

Lorne

So in short Alaska's commercial fleet throws overboard more dead halibut then all Canadians (commercial, FN and rec) can harvest combined. And you have to wonder why we are in "years of less abundance."

Sweet eh?

Last edited by a moderator:

Totally agree Lorne! The root of so much fishery destruction across the world is the trawl fleet. This form of catching fish is an indiscriminate carnage, catching anything and everything in the path of the nets and results in huge "by-catches" which do not survive and are tossed overboard. The mouth of these nets is usually held open with huge warps - basically huge steel doors -which smash through the ocean bethic layer laying waste to anything living/growing on the bottom as the nets are towed along. Trawling is like mowing down the entire forest to catch the deer....!

This form of fishing should be banned internationally because of its incredible ecologically damaging footprint.

Back