Sticky Breaks ?

Halilogger

So I have to go to Alberni for work, when I get out to pull off my cinches, there is a weird smell, I feel my hubs ( tandem ) there all warmer than usual. I right it off as break heat.
When I leave Saturday I check them as I'm going onto the highway north back to Campbell river, very hot once again I think it maybe from the steep decent coming out of Alberi. I drive down the highway and it feels like my brakes are coming on I get a slight pull. So I stop, Hubs drums and rims are extremely hot, crap!. 2 bearing dust caps are blown off, grease dripping out of hubs.So I let them cool and jack up both axles on the one side, both wheels turn freely. This is after 40 minutes cooling.
I continue down the highway at 50mph thinking maybe I can make Courtney, I stop to check after 10kmh they feel cooler, I repeat this twice each time, all 4 hubs exhibit almost no heat. I make it home.
Finally my question Is it possible with surge brakes when heated up for them to slightly lock up. I don't ride my brakes down the hill I have 2007 Chevy diesel with a Allison trany I let them do most of the braking, but I guess the boat still pushes.
Anyone experience similar problems? or have a idea what may be happening. Thanks

I have had the same problem when I had surge brakes-what is happening is that your individual brake actuators on each wheel have become slightly corroded-especially if they are the old steel ones rather than the newer aluminium. The brakes go on and because of corrosion they do not release thereby heating up the drums and eventually boiling your grease and causing bearing failure. What to do-well at the very least -every year you should completely change your brake fluid(it accumulates condensationary water and accelerates brake actuater corrosion. You can get a kit for actuators to replace the rubbers and emery paper the cylinders-if they are pitted replace the whole actuator.Right now you need to pull the bearings at a minimum and replace or repack them. This problem will not go away now until you take corrective action. If it happens on the highway -jack up the affected wheel-make sure the brakes are the problem-isolate that line from the rest of your brakes-bleed the affected brake-tap the back of the backing plate and rim with a hammer or rock-let it cool-see if it rotates and if so nurse it home-remembering you only have braking on 3 wheels. Just realized this happened to all wheels-same problem different place-probably corrosion in the surge master cylinder-not as familiar with that but I'm pretty sure the piston is putting out the pressure and then is slow to return to normal. Jack up the wheels-put on the brakes at the master cylinder and have friends rotate the tires and see how quickly they release. Should tell you lots!!

Back