Steering arm

weasonedog

Has anyone built a steering arm from your leg to your trolling motor? Just got a trolling motor and would like to put one on. I have priced out the store bought one's and wow so thought I should ask if any one here has built one in the past.

Thank-you
Tony

Yep. Mine looks like ****, but is highly effective. A piece if 1/4" coil ready rod, some careful bending and just attached with nuts. I was lucky and had 2 perfect places to mount it on the front of both my outwards. Cost about 7 bucks and can be taken off and put on in ten seconds. The best part is its on the front, no bending over the ransom needed. Just go be creative. It's easy to rig something up.

Sent from my HTC

use air compressor quick couplers on the ends, nice and neat,
males on the linkage rod and females on the motors.

Would that be and I/O leg to a kicker?
If so you have more of a challenge.
Did one on mine from scrap aluminum and ss ready rod.
Got the ends at a local marine store and fabricated the brackets to hold it together.
If it's an outboard to a kicker the tie bar up front is the way to go.
GLG

Has anyone built a steering arm from your leg to your trolling motor? Just got a trolling motor and would like to put one on. I have priced out the store bought one's and wow so thought I should ask if any one here has built one in the past.

Thank-you
Tony

I built the last two for my boats but they were from my main outboard to my kicker not an inboard leg. You can buy the SS quick connects at Harbour Chandler since I see you are in Ladysmith.

I think the front mounted stainless steel "panther" brand steering arm can be ordered in Victoria for about $75, which is better than the rear mounted versions for $250 that are designed to dump you overboard when removing it.

Thank-you for all the information, going to have a look at the connectors at Harbour Chandler. Will let you know what I come up with

Also if you can slide some rubber hose over it to cut down on chatter and put a very small pill float on it as you never know it may go plunk over board.I added the float after this picture Im sure it is still being used today by the owner.

Here is what I did for the one boat I did have Ive done a few more since then. making brackets and getting the proper angles to clear things is the tricky and fun part.

good luck

Wolf

Attachments

• halibut 2007 038.jpg
    halibut 2007 038.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 69
  • halibut 2007 039.jpg
    halibut 2007 039.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 61
  • halibut 2007 040.jpg
    halibut 2007 040.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 175
Thank's for the pix Wolf, I am hooking the outboard to an i/o leg so might be a little more complicated but doable

Tony

Back