Steelhead-Post Your Pictures Here

Yo Bird’...I have a closet full of double handed rods and I’ve fished them since the mid 70’d and to this day, I have never made a “Spey” cast and probably never will. My first graphite 16 footer was given to me by a guy named Jim Green. That’s the Jim Green rod in the picture above laying beside that THompson buck. He was a rod designer for Fenwick rods. They owned the plant on Bainbridge Island before Sage bought them out.

Both Jim and his wife were world record fly casters and both used an overhead cast. They got the massive distance in tournaments by shooting coils of line. I visited his house where he had a casting pond out in his back yard and he showed me his technique. His reels sat way up on the corks. I had just bought a 14 foot bamboo “Sharpes” rod when I visited my folks who lived in London at the time—-the rod was insanely heavy and I never like the short butt section relative to the placement of the reel. When I saw Jim’s technique coupled with the way he was designing his double-handers (just for friends; they never saw a commercial outlet) I immediately knew that’s how I wanted to pursue my steelhead fly habit. Why?

Back in those days I never had a steady job—I was a river bum; I’d work for a few months in the late winter and spring then go hang on the Skeena and THompson until ice shut those rivers down. And with that amount of fishing I immediately saw how overhead casting had major advantages over “Spey” casting. First and foremost, it didn’t beat the crap out of your shoulders and elbows the way forming that infamous “D” loop does. Have you ever got on a Spey forum and heard the complaints about shoulder and back pain from those guys? Some guys can’t get on the river without cortisone shots. Over-head casting doesn’t beat you up like that if you know how to form and shoot your coiled loops. With a long rod, it’s one, maybe two false casts and a 90 footer is easily doable. Give me 3 false casts with the right line and I’m good for a 110 footer....more then enough distance for most rivers.

Jim Green just gave me blanks so I built up all my own rods. But I monkeyed the way I saw how he’d done up his prototypes——at least 1 1/2 feet of cork behind the reel seat as compared to say, 6” on a Spey rod. So that instantly turns any double handed rod into a single handed rod—-you lay that strip of cork down your forearm and you instantly get major leverage. And it balances the big Hardy reels I use just about right....when the reel sits way back towards the butt of the rod like a normal “Spey” configuration, there’s zero balance—-it’s a heavy stick

6D0819CE-EC38-4036-B9E4-46F922CC5B8A.jpeg

The rod in the picture above is the only “off the rack” fly rod I own—-it’s a 12’ 6” foot Sage One, a fantastic powerhouse of a rod and light as a feather. The first thing I did after buying that rod was to take a Dremel and a cutting disc and cut off the reel-seat. Then I added approx 8” more corks where the reel seat used to be, then glued in another reel seat and finally, more corks for the foregrip. I suppose that rod was originally designed for “Spey” casting but now it is an absolutely Rock Star of a single-hander—-I lay that cork up against my forearm and I literally can fish day after day after day, make monster casts, and feel like I’m still 18 years old. My only regret with that Sage One is it’s such a fantastic rod I no longer want to fish my 14 and 16 foot Jim Green rods which are definitely heavier.

So there’s the fatigue thing that’s taken care of, the beating up of rotator cuffs you don’t get like the Spey guys do and last but not least, you’re not detonating the freaking water trying to make that goofy “D” loop the way the Spey guys do.

I saw a guy one day on the THompson, a guy well known in the Spey world for designing and marketing a whole bracket of “Spey” lines , who was absolutely destroying a pool when he stripped his D loop off the water. It was really sad to see that spectacle because the spot he was fishing usually had fish holding no more then 10 - 30 feet from the beach. I just watched in amazement as he beat the water to a froth with his cool new “Spey” technique. No doubt any fish in that spot was now holding 150 feet out in the center of the river. To this day, if I see a Spey guy in a river, I find another spot because of all that disruption going on in the water

So, maybe a long-winded reason why I design my rods that way. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but I’ve been pounding out fly lines for over 55 years now and you won’t hear me whine about the pain and suffering in my shoulders and arms the way the middle aged Spey guys do.

I also designed my own reel seats so they would fit the longer feet of the antique Hardy reels I use. I cringe when I hear about guys grinding off the feet of antique reels to fit their off-the-rack rods...no reason to do that!

B679D880-4385-4E7D-B130-6BD9CAAE94A7.jpeg

Last edited:
Great info and explanation on your choice of technique fishing the longer rods Sharphooks. I've never two handed/long rod fly fished for steelhead. I've only ever single handed fly fished for them. I've always thought about getting a nice longer rod to reach more water with but never got around to it. I've always fished both gear and fly for Steelhead so knowing all the gear type runs on rivers I also learned and remembered all the runs I could reach/fish effectively with my single handed fly rod.
But now you've got me really thinking about the style of fishing you are doing with the longer rods. And I hear you about the water disruption by the spey fishermen. Have seen that and have also moved off spots on rivers because of them disrupting a lot of holding water. If you don't mind I'm gonna pick your brain some more for info about your rods and look into trying this style of fishing out for them. Sage has made some excellent feeling blanks. I love some of them. My favorite pin rod is a Sage older brown blank 11/3 3113 MB. So when I go this route for a longer fly rod I may go with one of them as well unless you recommend something different. I've fished with some other runs of their blanks and some of them just don't have the same feel as some of their older runs did. Not sure why. I never really looked into it much.

20190915_103140.jpg

Hey Chasin’, I suppose like ski equipment and mountain bikes, the newer equipment is lighter and more robust then the older equipment. Same with rods, so sometimes, newer design is better. I was floored when I first picked up the Sage One. (Which these days is considered “old tech” ). It was definitely a “quantum leap” ahead of any rod I’d ever used before—-responsiveness, light-weight....all the stuff you want in a rod for the type of fishing I do—-big flies, sometimes heavy flies, and I always over-weight the rod I’m using by going one size up on the fly line grains. I have owned all the earlier Sage rods—-I purchased the blank version of the 9140, 8150, 7140 —-the old “brownies” they call them, a lot like your 3113 MB ——an oldie but a goodie.

So it all comes down to preference, and these day (unfortunately), price—-I probably would not have purchased my Sage One at full retail when it was first released—-at the time they were $ 800 - 1,000—I thought that was nuts for a rod. But a guide friend of mine offered me my 12’6” for $ 300 and it was tough to say “no” to an offer like that. But in retrospect, if I had dropped long dollars for that rod when it was first introduced, I would have really felt like it was worth it—-there is that much value in the new technology.

Nowadays, as the Sage One is considered “old tech”, I’m sure you could get one for lesser money —-if I were looking for a double hander, you could do way worse then bellying up to the bar for a Sage One. The newer Sage rods I’m not familiar with—I would say go to a shop and demo a few and see what’s comfortable to fish.

My one word of advice if you want to go long—-don’t go too long. A 14 footer won’t give you more bang then a 12 footer and I think a lot of people are figuring this out—-the trend is to go a bit shorter these days—-the Switch Rods are a good example of that.

Which reminds me——Jim Green once gave me a 20 footer back in the late 80’s. I built it up, used it on the Skeena one morning, hooked a big buck steelhead, then when I got back to my truck, I put the rod back in its cloth sock and never picked it up again—-it was a brute, more of a conversation piece then something I’d use on a day-to-day basis. I ended up selling it on eBay

I’m all in on 12 foot rods these days—-use it as a single or a doubler—-covers both bases. Good Luck in your search

Last edited:
Right on great info! Ok, I am on the hunt for a 12-13' old brownie!! I'd love to find a blank not built yet so I could put some personal touches on it. I think I might know a local guy that just may have one if there are any left anymore. I know he stock piled a **** load of the old 3113 brownies and he's a big time fly guy so he may have some of the ones you're talking about. I'll keep you posted in my hunt if you'd like.

Sharphooks, thanks for taking the time to explain the history and function of those handles. You must have arms of steel to single hand 12 to 16 foot rods. If I understand you correctly, your forearm would be braced along the lower cork for the forward delivery, so that wouldn't be bad with just one hand, but the rod wouldn't be braced on your arm during your backcast. That would be very stressful on the wrist, at least. Is that right?

I fish with double handers a lot, using both Spey casts when there's no backcast room (the normal in my neck of the woods) and overhead (especially on the beach). I changed over from single handers over 6 wt. because of shoulder and elbow injuries. The relief I get has allowed me to keep fishing for steelhead and salmon. Basically, using two hands cuts the stress in half for each arm. And the longer rod length (I use 11 to 13 footers) helps with distance, as you mentioned.

I think a lot of those Spey forum members who complain of shoulder issues had those issues before, like me, but either their issues are more serious than mine and are not relieved by going to two handers, or they're casting technique is wrong, or they're casting half-chickens or something.

Ya, those Sage One's are truly amazing.

Right on great info! Ok, I am on the hunt for a 12-13' old brownie!! I'd love to find a blank not built yet so I could put some personal touches on it. I think I might know a local guy that just may have one if there are any left anymore. I know he stock piled a **** load of the old 3113 brownies and he's a big time fly guy so he may have some of the ones you're talking about. I'll keep you posted in my hunt if you'd like.
Walter at SeaRun may have some.

Last edited:
Geeze Sharphooks, so sad about the state of the mighty T. It’s been bad for a few years now. It really it’s sad to see.

I never forget meeting this American dude who fished across from the Nicola with a 15 footer probably close to 25-30 years ago. Back in those days, 15 footers were rare sight. Oh the mighty T. Thanks for sharing a chat way back then Sharphooks.

Maybe one day I will be brave enough to share some pics but the expected bashing is just not my cup of teas.

Keep those old pics coming boys. It’s been very nostalgic.

Hey, H&S—If you met a guy that long ago swinging a big stick it might have been me... ha ha ...I actually became pretty good friends with the bait guys in those days....they were a wealth of info and truth is, I think in the back of their minds they figured a guy drifting a fly on the surface wasn’t much of a threat...because of those guys, I started learning about spots like Last Chance and Gospel and Shaw’s....wow, those were the days. Lots of fish and very easy to get away from peeps. When I drive up the canyon now I have this whole hit list of “spots” in my memory bank as I pass them by—-yup, Ladder Hole—got one there that took off through 6 foot standing waves and cleaned me....Yup, Last Chance, that’s where I got one on a 7 foot long 5 weight trout rod—-the fish went behind a rock and that was it...rod went snap...

One day one of the Silex guys let me know about an estate sale for one of his buddies—-I went up to White Rock and he literally had ROOMFULLS of Supers and Jewels....apple baskets brimming with reels in a room with bars on the doorway....his widow thanked me for making sure the 3 1/2” Supers I bought that day “stayed on the river” because that’s what her deceased husband would have wanted. It was an emotional moment for me, not the least of which was knowing one day my daughters would be doing the same thing with my reel collection. ...

I never fished bait on any of my Silexes—I used them to dead-drift dry flies...pretty interesting technique—-you literally can let out a hundred yards of line, complete dead drift of the fly, and hook fish so far away you barely see the swirl as they suck down the fly. I used that technique on the Skeena back when there were no jet boats and very few bank guys. Crazy how effective it was. Nowadays there’d be a fist-fight because you’d be drifting down into “someone else’s water”... “Hey, that’s MY water!!”

Here are a few pix from the good old days ....wow, it was going down memory lane copying and pasting these pictures...

It was -20 C on that trip....my tomatoes froze solid in my camper

F6186542-00B7-42CB-A881-8DCE465C195C.jpeg

Nice day above Ashcroft....after I took that picture the cliff gave way because of freeze-thaw——scared the crap out of me

91EDC89E-2AB2-42AE-8885-5EA409AD8DBE.jpeg

My daughter, standing in front of the sign that inspired her name...

Attachments

• 470AA407-208F-4970-A53D-FB6AC54A6705.jpeg
    470AA407-208F-4970-A53D-FB6AC54A6705.jpeg
    340.5 KB · Views: 76
Morice last week was pretty quiet. We saw one jet boat one day, two the following day and none the third day. No one else was drifting that we saw. Campsites had lots of empty spaces. A little early in the season perhaps, but we weren't complaining about crowds. I've seen the Bulkley a little busier, I'm glad I haven't found these crowded spots on the Skeena itself. I thought all that stuff was left behind down south.

Thanks to all who posted pictures and shared stories. Something about river fishing that is very enticing.

The internet giveth and the internet taketh away....

Usually people point and click to minimize the efforts expended to find where people are getting fish.

This year they pointed and clicked the Tyee Test Fishery results (which are beyond dismal) and a lot of them stayed home

Last edited:
Backhand Steely.jpg

After winning two days of guided fly-fishing for summer-runs at an SSBC auction in 1991, donated by the late, great Bruce Gerhart, I started playing with these Tsitika transplants that populated the Campbell back in those days, and this is one that fell for a Black Spade fly Bruce gave me the first day we met on the river for practise.

I've had 12 hook-ups on that fly, but involving only 11 fish, as I caught the same one twice on the same fly and in the same spot, only 24 hours later.

I have few pictures of steelhead I've caught because:

1..I rarely owned a camera.

2..I used to go out on the Gold after work just to get out of the bunkhouse and catching a steelhead was hardly unusual back then, in the 60's, so photos weren't that important to me.

Sometimes I regret that.

Take care.

View attachment 48233

After winning two days of guided fly-fishing for summer-runs at an SSBC auction in 1991, donated by the late, great Bruce Gerhart, I started playing with these Tsitika transplants that populated the Campbell back in those days, and this is one that fell for a Black Spade fly Bruce gave me the first day we met on the river for practise.

I've had 12 hook-ups on that fly, but involving only 11 fish, as I caught the same one twice on the same fly and in the same spot, only 24 hours later.

I have few pictures of steelhead I've caught because:

1..I rarely owned a camera.

2..I used to go out on the Gold after work just to get out of the bunkhouse and catching a steelhead was hardly unusual back then, in the 60's, so photos weren't that important to me.

Sometimes I regret that.

Take care.
As always, great story Dave. Love the picture too.

Man these pictures are getting me excited for Steelhead season.

Dave mentioned the Gold and that brought back some memories of that beautiful river. Haven't been back there for about 25 years now but loved fishing it. Lot's of great gear and fly water on that river.
Here's a couple of Steelhead from the Gold
20190915_104308.jpg
20190915_103114.jpg

You’ve got good taste in waders.....I still look at eBay from time to time seeing if I can find a pair of the old boot-foot Bare waders. I have 5 pairs but they’re pretty beat up ...best wader on the market....shame they dropped that line.

Ya the hybrids are nice. Still have that pair and still use them. Have re felted them and patched them a few times but they're still in decent shape. Not sure why they discontinued them.

We've had a couple close calls with both Grizzlies and Black bears up north. On one occasion we were walking down a trail to a river and could smell a bear strongly but could also smell another strong smell we thought was rotting meat. Turned out it was. We stumbled over a partially buried Moose carcass a bear had been feeding on. We quickly turned around and picked a different access point to the river. On trips after that we not only brought bear spray but also a defender shot gun in back holster just in case.

Sharphooks you will probably recognize this spot. Just down stream from the bridge on the little river. Between the bridge and the clay banks.

20190915_114839.jpg

And a little river near Terrace
20190915_115128.jpg

Me and my wife with a friend bar fishing for Coho and Steelhead on the lower Skeena. China bar. Drying some fresh Coho roe with some borax on newspaper to add to the spin and glows. We caught a pretty even mix of Steelhead and Coho.
20190915_115311.jpg

Back