Stay away from merc

Charter Tofino

Just found out my 2005 90 merc with 400ish hours conked out. Parents took it out today and when they throttled up there was no power. The mechanic said the legs blown. Bad time with the derby this week

that's a real shame,:D,but good on you for crapping on a major company. I'm sure lots of people will agree with you and put their motors in the garbage.[:eek:)]

Its not letting me edit. I just talked to my dad and he said its not the leg. He said its fine up until 8knots then when they go to plane it just revs up and doesnt speed up. He also said the mechanic told him the pitch on the prop may be off on one blade so its pulling in air most likely so the prop isnt pushing anything. Any ideas? He admitted to me that two weeks ago he hit a rock with it:(:( It had worked since then with no issues though. Big difference between a leg blowing and a prop pitch problem. Hope its a 300$ prop and not a $10,000 new engine and hope its gonna be ok by thursday i saved up to fly home and might be boatless.

Good on you for having nothin better than stirrin sh*& up on the internet. Should really take fishing up to help pass the time instead. I know alot of guys get insane hours from mercs so i cant completely slam them but i hope this isnt one of those less than 500 hour horror stories ive heard about them.

If the prop was bent you would notice a vibration. Check the hub as they are designed to break away upon hitting something. Maybe theres enough of it to turn at low power but slips under more load.

http://www.mercurypart***press.com/us/flo-torq-ii-hub-kit-mercury-p340.html

good luck, keep us posted.

Forum wont complete link propery, should say "...mercury parts express..." with out the spaces but it reads something different and blocks out three letters.

Marula is rite those hubs are easily replacible and that sounds like it to me.Spun hub.

I had exactly the same thing happen to me a few years back, spun hub. Always check the simple things first.:)

If he hit a rock then he might have spun the hub in the prop. In other words the big rubber thing in the center of the prop may have been jarred loose. It's designed to do exactly this for that reason
when hitting something large. Instead of blowing up all the gears etc. in the leg the rubber hub takes the shock. A sacrificial lamb of sorts.

I bought a used prop a while ago and when I tried it out all was fine as I put the power to it. Then all of a sudden at a couple of thousand revs as I was coming out of the hole the motor would rev up to 6000 revs and the boat would drop back in the water. This was because there was no load on the propeller, the prop shaft would be turning without the propeller. This was all new to me but luckily at the time this was happening I happened to have a marine mechanic with me who twigged on right away what might be going on.

Just a suggestion for you, but what I did to test my hub and propeller was to make a scratch/ line on the hub and the propeller itself.If the hub spins the line wont match up with the line on the propeller when you check it again. ( The odds of the hub spinning and stopping at the exact spot it started at are, well, rare)
Sounds to me like the hub might need replacing. I would try checking this first. Simple check.
Good luck.
Oh yeah,in my situation it was the hub. $75.00 for a hub replacement from RYM Propeller in Richmond

Thanks for the info. Im in alberta so im just hearing second hand info. My dad said there is no vibration. I was first told the leg is blown but that doesnt sound like it is now.

quote:Good on you for having nothin better than stirrin sh*& up on the internet. Should really take fishing up to help pass the time instead. I know alot of guys get insane hours from mercs so i cant completely slam them but i hope this isnt one of those less than 500 hour horror stories ive heard about them.

Hey Kelly, I think your problem is with your Prop, it is like a saftey feature that your horrible Merc engine has built in, In case someone accidently hits a rock with it. I've even had hubs go out from hitting a 6 inch little stick once!!! Must have jammed in between the prop and leg and bam, just like that I was treading water, only had about 6 knots to roll home on. There should be a rubber hub inside the prop that will slip if you hit something. It will work properly at low speeds, but when you try to take off the rubber hub slips and you basicly have the problem that your parents seemed to have. Maybe have someone take it in to get it checked. There used to be a propeller shop down across the street from Ancorage in Nanaimo, have no clue if it is still there? They could have checked it and repaired it, If there not around anymore and you can't find another prop shop then maybe just get another prop and try it out I think it would be worth a try. Best of luck with it.

PS I don't think it is Merc's fault your folks hit the rock..:D

Take only what you need.

I gotta say when i first talked to them and posted this thread they said the leg was blown. A blown leg is alot different than hitting a rock and the hub going!If the leg blown before 500 hours with proper care you could see why i would be mad. I cant change the orignal title either a hubs nothing to do with merc. Guess you should try and find the whole story before posting or freakin out[B)]

Kelly

As already said by others, sounds like a spun prop. It's happened to me too.

Get that lazy old man of yours to bring it to a prop shop and they can fix it.

Fairly inexpensive, as far as boating problems go.

Mark

Just curious Kelly, was he just putting when he hit the rock or was he up on a plane?

Take only what you need.

He was launching i think at deep bay and said the tide was low bad vis ect.He hit it pulling out from the launch on a rock so he was at low speeds so it wasnt bad. I had no idea he hit something when i was first told. He took it in today and it was the hub they torqued it tight and all is well. They filed the small dent and said its fine no need for a new prop. Also got a spare kit so i can do it myself if it happens again 100$ parts labour. Good ol mercury:D

Just trying to figure how hitting a rock is Mercury Marine's fault???[:0] For the record-- I have used Mercs for sport and commercially for over 35 yrs and have foiund them no better, and no worse in the repair department than Johnsone/Rudes. Yammies??? Let them drop the price and I,ll think abpout them. So there......[^]

quote:I know alot of guys get insane hours from mercs so i cant completely slam them
---thats me!!!

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

better to make dad stay away from boat, mercs are great. if they didnt have weak spot put onthe hub,it would have cost dad a lot more.

cuba im not saying its the mercs fault at all after i found what really caused it and was the problem.It took me three phonecalls to get the whole story[xx(] The first phonecall i got said the lower leg blew when running which practically means a new engine. It never mentioned hitting a rock or anything else. If the leg had blown pre 500 hours like i thought it did then you would understand the original post.

Bee he is going to be the death of the boat for sure:D. So far scrapped the keel on the pavement gasin up on a steep pull in. Once didnt lock the trailer down properly and once didnt put the gas cap back on while the boat sat in a rain storm. Oh well he fixes them and it his boat so who am i to complain:D:D

so by posting saying"stay away from merc" for all to read, what you really mean is,sorry..what do you mean?
Maybe an edit on the thread,you surely must know how to do that, being a major contributor and all..[V]

:D If the leg had blown pre 500 hours like i thought it did then you would understand the original post. I DID understand !!;) I was just putting a bit of balance in the post. Did you ever notice that there are some guys that , in spite of good intentions, always seem to be the ones that hit the rocks, forget to put the plug in the boat when launching, run out of gas or forget the beer????? Seems like the case here[8D]

Nevermind-- its an easy fix and lesson learned for him.

Cheers

BTW- ignore the troll. He ran out of Midol.

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

At 3.44 posts/day he's gonna be a major contributor soon
Happy hour on SFBC again :D:D
LOL

gonefishingsign.gif

Back