stamp river coho tips

JuBy

im heading up to the stamp river to try my luck on catching some coho and was wondering what people use when they go for them do you just chuck a float and wool with pencil lead or do you try using a spoon or spinner?

any tips are greatly appreciated!

juby

Last edited by a moderator:
**** a float

Ok, I'm laughing my head off right now. That's the last thing I would do to catch a Coho in the Stamp. But yes, float fish with lead and wool works, but they are hard to catch in the river with the enticing them to bite ethic.

LoL

haha bit of a typo there what would you do big green machine if you were targeting them?

Coho rarely bite in this river system. The method of choice is to floss them. Although I have my reservations about flossing fish, I have no problem with flossing a harvest fish and those are all harvest coho in the Stamp/Somas system.
Ethically, it is not a sport fishery. It's a harvest fishery, really. Lawfully, if you hook a fish in the mouth area it is a legal catch. Most all flossed fish are caught in the mouth.
If you want fun, take your fly rod, fish the shallow runs. They will come, you will see them...

i had a gd friend called me yesterday that fishes coho every year in the stamp , said its brutally slow ,
begged me ta take him and his buddies out in the sound for a couple days lol...
not sure if the stamp is in any way the same as say the Vedder , or Chehalis systems , we use cured
roe , float system early am , can be extremely productive , spinners ,blades , casting spoons ,,, etc can agitate them ta stike as well...

fd

Well, um... with respect to FD, the fishing has actually been quite good. As of early last week, there were already over 16,000 coho thru the counting fence. I went on Friday. Showed up at about 08:00, beached 4, biggest about 12lbs and was back in my truck before 09:00 with 2 in the creel.
I saw several schools swim by, anywhere from a dozen fish to maybe 100.
I'm going tomorrow JuBy...

6 foot leader and pink wool...............
emo-coffee.gif

As mentioned they rarely bite in the system at this time of year. However when the water cools down in late october they can be very aggressive on hardware in the upper. If you don't mind tomato c&r it can be entertaining. If i were fishing them this time of year, start at somas park walk/wade out to the island with a looooong leader some wool and floss away. Wait for the schools to move up through the shallow riffles and have at er!!

I have definitely experienced the difficulty of fishing for Stamp river Coho; clear, clear water and chrome bullets mostly interested in making it up to the hatchery lagoon. I find they are catchable on the inside of the mouth though; think really small Colorado blades, small hooks, long, very light leaders and of course stealth and you will be surprised. A generous fellow once changed my thinking on this difficult fishery - I didn't believe him until he banged a fish as soon as he was done schooling me!

As mentioned they rarely bite in the system at this time of year. However when the water cools down in late october they can be very aggressive on hardware in the upper. If you don't mind tomato c&r it can be entertaining. If i were fishing them this time of year, start at somas park walk/wade out to the island with a looooong leader some wool and floss away. Wait for the schools to move up through the shallow riffles and have at er!!

Don't forget the bucket. Easy flossin if you get a spot.

I was under the impression that flossing = snagging and retaining a snagged fish is illegal. Am I wrong?

not sure of my buddy's capabilities in all fairness ,
he does have family in Port , ya figure he'd kinda know what hes doing ,
maybe just doest have the talent of some of
you top rods , with all due respect : )....he sounded very frustrated

gd lk

just sayun,,

fd

Not sure if that was sarcasm or not, lol. But it doesn't take a "top rod" to catch these coho.
I was there this morning for a few hours. Absolute glorious morning, mist rising off the water, sun rising, fish on. Was 1/2 dozen old bastards like me fishing away, b.s.-ing, everyone catching fish. Was stellar. Released a few coho up to 12lbs. Lost a couple hogs. Kept one shiny, shiny 8 lber for dinner tonight.

Am I wrong? Because if I am, I don't wanna be right :)

Just pick a spot, stand there and cast until you catch a fish. Check your solunar tables and fish the active times. It works. Like clockwork.

...just sayun :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was under the impression that flossing = snagging and retaining a snagged fish is illegal. Am I wrong?

It is snagging or lining because the angler is not 'enticing the fish to bite.' However some will bite the wool of a flossing rig, but more often than not, they are lined and hooked on the outside of the mouth, making the catch legal. It's a harvest fishery. Like Sockeye when open.

I really hope you guys got my hint of sarcasm..........

Yes, flossing is not snagging...it is a common practice and quite legal. U can also bottom bounce as well. Meat fishery.

Actually, bottom bouncing is a form of drift fishing and a highly effective, angling technique often used in Steelhead fishing. It is very much different from flossing. Flossing is for catching meat, like you said, but bottom bouncing is angling.

Actually, bottom bouncing is a form of drift fishing and a highly effective, angling technique often used in Steelhead fishing. It is very much different from flossing. Flossing is for catching meat, like you said, but bottom bouncing is angling.

Yes I agree that it is different than flossing, but it is also used as a way to floss, example, Fraser sockeye. I am certain that the techniques used on the Stamp are very similar to those used on the Vedder.

Yes I agree that it is different than flossing, but it is also used as a way to floss, example, Fraser sockeye. I am certain that the techniques used on the Stamp are very similar to those used on the Vedder.
The big difference is leader length, flossing uses a very long leader. Bouncing uses a normal leader of say around 18 inches.

No, the Stamp flossing is different than the Fraser flossing. In the Stamp, you float floss with actually a reasonably short leader compared to the Fraser, where you use a 10-20 foot leader.

People call flossing on the Fraser bottom bouncing, and that confuses things. They need to stop doing that. They are actually flossing not technically bottom bouncing.

Back