St. Mary Lake

T

tightjer

Hi,

I will be staying at St. Mary lake this weekend and am looking to do some bass fishing. Any tips at all would be much appreciated - ie lures, time of day, location, depth, etc.

I'm new to freshwater fishing and need all the help I can get.

Thanks in advance!

The north end of the lake usually produces better but fish are small.

Warm water in August means fishing early/late right on the bottom don't expect much topwater action at all.

Small dark whatever usually works fished slow if that doesn't work fish it faster.

Chartreuse can be a killer there too.

Many thanks.

I'm thinking soft plastics on the bottom is a good bet. Should I pick up some lures, too?

Cheers.

I assume that you are talking about St. Mary's lake on Salt Spring Island. If so be advised that some fool has transplanted perch into this lake so catch and take as many of them as you can.

If you'd like to fish with soft plastics, then tube baits usually produce well. Rig it onto a 1 to 2ft long leader below a sliding weight that sits on a swivel. Cast and allow the rig to sink to the bottom. Drag it along or jig it slowly. Many times fish suck onto the tubebait when it is stationary so watch for bites at each pause.

If fish happen to be in shallow water, which is unlikely for this time of the year, then a simple 1/8oz inline spinner actually works surprisingly well.

Yellow perch have been abundant in St Mary Lake for many years now. They can easily be found from shore by either float fishing with dew worms or fly fishing with tiny nymph patterns.

Good luck.

Rodney Hsu, Fishing with Rod, My blog, My YouTube channel, My Facebook page

Rattlin Raps work well in St. Marys. Cast them around the submerged logs and let them sink near bottom, then retrieve them quickly.

You can also catch a lot of Bass fly casting with a sinking line and a bushy fly pattern such as a Carey Special or an egg sucking leach. Much more fun on a fly rod, as even the small ones put up a good scrap.

Thanks everyone for your help. Got in to some nice trout and bass out there.

Off to the Kootenays next week - Christina Lake, Kokanee Creek and some of the little lakes in Kokanee Glacier park. Wish me luck.

Lots of small cuttthroat up by the Glacier. Enjoy the hike. The glacier has melted and doesn't look like the old Kokanee can anymore.

anyone know how fishing is on st mary's lake this time of year? heading over for a week this monday, got the kids , heard there a whack of perch in there, any feedback would be great, thanks

Back