Springs showing on the Williamete and Columbia!!!

Drewski Canuck

Had the pleasure of seeing Portland, Oregon, on the weekend. I was very impressed with the area. About 60 boats on Saturday fishing the Williamete in Portland. On a web search, Springs were open, 2 a day and a strong return. Columbia had been closed for recruitment monitoring, before it will re open. Surprised that they had a return of Springs that early in the season. Hopefully the returns on the Fraser on the early fish is positive. A definite tease for me.

Drewski

That's a renown early run. Actually a bit late this year as they are usually running March thru April.

We have been getting them for a couple of months along the WCVI.

Actually the early run this year ....didn't show as predicted.. the middle and fall runs should be stronger... :)

Those fish go past us all winter long. Gillnetter's used to start on the Fraser in February, right after they finished Coho fishing in January. And you don't even want to know about the thousands of pounds per day of Steelhead. Sad that we are just a shadow of what it could be like.
Yes they say the early run is down, but what does it get compared to. The last ten or twenty years? Maybe. If is was compared to 70 or 80 years ago it is just a drop in the bucket. And we are talking about US fish. If we had to rely on BC fish we would have almost nothing this time of year.
But if it is open we will fish. Killed 8 Chinook this weekend on my boat and 7 were fin clipped, likely US bound fish. I would say the summer and fall run Chinook look strong as a couple of these fish were over twenty pounds.
Sorry, my rant for the day.

if we had to rely on BC fish nearly the entire coast would be shut down and that's not an exaggeration. Thank uncle same for the US fish.

Back